Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which bike, part deux. What to look for in a test?

• 05-03-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

First off, no mention of P*****X just yet.
    That out of the way now, I've narrowed my choice down to Halfords Boardman carbon, Dolan Mythos and Specialized Allez.
    I'll be trying out the Boardman tomorrow, but being a serial bike monogamist I'm a bit clueless about lateral stiffness and vertical compliance et al, so am wonderring what to look out for on a try out. Other than shifting up and down the gears and doing an emergency stop, what else could I look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Mainly how comfortable you are on the bike and how you find it. Adjusted correctly the gears and brakes should probably work about the same on any of those bikes.

The other difference would be how comfortable you find the hood position and how easy you find it to shift gear as SRAM and Shimano differ in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Bring your pedals with you.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Which Halfords? I only ask as there is some difference in the level of 'knowledge' of the bikes, though this is improving all the time. I got the knowledgable crew (including the main man Ian)in Liffey Valley to stick on a Hollowtech BB. I took care of the rest of the bike myself.

My Alu Boardman is pretty stiff especially the rear triangle, large stays help this. Your carbon bike should be as stiff plus a bit lighter. The SRAM set-up is a personal choice. When I sat astride the carbon I was reefing the levers off the Rival gruppo (demo model)as I forgot they were Double Tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I looked at the Boardman Comp in Halfords (Blanch) last night. It was mostly 105 with SRAM cranks. No price on it, oddly. Very nice looking machine in the flesh, really nice finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Blorg, you were just over 5 mins for the reply. Are you under the weather?
    Kona, I didn't query Halfords about pedals, they said the bike would be built up in 15 minutes so I presume it would be with the throwaway plastic pedals.
    I went into more detail with the Dolan retailer, wheelworkx.com, and they were saying bring pedals, shorts, the whole jingbang at the fitting out stage - but I'm still at the tyre kicking stage of figuring out if I can justify a carbon frame.

• Advertisement

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Which Halfords? I only ask as there is some difference in the level of 'knowledge' of the bikes, though this is improving all the time. I got the knowledgable crew (including the main man Ian)in Liffey Valley to stick on a Hollowtech BB. I took care of the rest of the bike myself.

My Alu Boardman is pretty stiff especially the rear triangle, large stays help this. Your carbon bike should be as stiff plus a bit lighter. The SRAM set-up is a personal choice. When I sat astride the carbon I was reefing the levers off the Rival gruppo (demo model)as I forgot they were Double Tap.

Halfords in Carrickmines. I only spoke to them briefly on the phone as they're the only shop with my size according their website.
    btw, how do you notice your rear triange is pretty stiff? I don't mean to be facetious but this sort of analysis has me baffled.
    As mentioned earlier, I'm probably ruined for these subtleties by riding wildly unsuitable bikes for the past 20 years.

souter wrote: »
    btw, how do you notice your rear triange is pretty stiff? I don't mean to be facetious but this sort of analysis has me baffled.
    As mentioned earlier, I'm probably ruined for these subtleties by riding wildly unsuitable bikes for the past 20 years.

Acceleration! I'm no expert myself but the bike takes off when you press down hard on the pedals. This illustrates rear torsional stiffness/compliance. The bike itself is heavy so its not as good climbing(though it does have a standard on it) but its robust and quick, and good value at the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I though it was de rigueur to have one of each at least:D

Comfort is very important so start by ensuring the tyres are up to pressure. Make sure you're happy with saddle height, reach, bar position, the first time I tried out my P..... X on the road it was awful so I turned around and returned home to lower the bars, it had seemed fine set up on a turbo. Try to ride on the tops, hoods and drops, over smooth tarmac and the normal rough road, climb in and out the saddle, try sprinting out of a turn. The bike should bring a smile as you fall for its carbon charm, then it's hand over the cash and return here to seek opinions on upgrades and mechanics.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Acceleration! I'm no expert myself but the bike takes off when you press down hard on the pedals. This illustrates rear torsional stiffness/compliance. The bike itself is heavy so its not as good climbing(though it does have a standard on it) but its robust and quick, and good value at the price.

Thanks, I can understand that. My current steed is a Specialized Singlecross and one thing I love about it is I can really put the hammer to the floor and take off like a bat out of hell (thought there's probably fixie zen mixed up in that, along with the cliches).
    So a sprint burst is a must for my try out.

So your buying it in Carrickmines? Ask them cheekily have they been trained by Ian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Kona, I didn't query Halfords about pedals, they said the bike would be built up in 15 minutes so I presume it would be with the throwaway plastic pedals.

They are doing €60 free bits with them according to their online site too, could be a good idea to buy the SPD and cleats too.

I'd be very worried at the standard of build on any bike that takes 15mins to build, yet alone a bike of that standard. Id be expecting at least 30-40 mins, going over every little bolt. Remember Do not leave the shop untill you are 100% happy that the bike has been built correctley, take it for a spin, check the brakes and all the gears, lift the bike about a inch off the groung and drop it back down, this will give away any loose bearings or parts, it shouldnt have many vibrations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

They have a couple of Boardman Carbons on show in Navan and have to say I was very impressed with the finish and the price €1249 with free €60 goods of choice. My only negative was the Boardman logo which I feel is too big and loud. That aside the Rival gruppo looks the business. A wheel upgrade somewhere down the road and you have a great looking bike.

Made it out to carrickmines and got a shot on the Boardman. Nice, but no cigar so far.
    Ok, so I know Halfords is understaffed and have to deal with a lot tyre kickers (people, do your research beforehand, a 200e kids bike is a 200e kids bike), so had to hang around for a while before I got set up with the bike.
    And set up involved pumping up the tyres, it was a display model. The sales guy wasn't really clued into sizing the bike, fair enough, I'm a bit confused on what size I should use myself.
    First "spin" was in the showroom itself. Good brakes, I nearly went over the bars right there which would have been embarassing. Didn't bother trying to change the pedals so was using the stock cage pedals with my spd shoes, not the greatest combination.
    Persuaded the manager to let me pootle about in their back car park, so was able to get a better feel.
    My main conclusions were:
    Nice bike.
    But not sure I got the sizing right. I'm 5'7", 29" inside leg, the bike was the small one which my internet research suggested was the recommended one for me. But I currently ride a 56" specialized, my bike of 20 years before that was (don't laugh) a 60" frame.
    Anyway, it was light and stiff. A combination of these and the fact it was so small felt like I wasn't on a bike at all, which was weird.
    Not too gone on the shifters, they seemed a bit flimsy, but then I'm fixie guy and had downtube shifters before that -so who knows what kids these days get up with their new fangled technology.
    It was impressive, but not get the laser card out impressive.
    The lack of anyone to reassure me on sizing and fit up would be negative however. The jury is out till I try the mythos and allez.

Anyhoo, wending my way home down the N11 enjoying the spring weather and direct drive of the trusty single cross, wonderring why people were so critical of it's cycle lanes when bang! I hit a bump, threw the chain and locked the backwheel. My first ever skid stop was cool, the broken chain, spoke and axle inset less so.

Souter,

The Boardman should be a completely different ride to the Singlecross. Going round a car park is not a great way to get the feel of a bike like that because they only really come alive at speed.

My Scott Addict felt like riding a table tennis bat the first few rides after coming off a Focus Cayo, which is itself much more aggressive than the Singlecross. Now it seems normal.

I assume by '56" Specialized' you mean a 56cm Tricross Single? I rode one of those in that size and I am almost 6ft. 5'7" is quite short for a 560mm top tube.

The Boardman small has a 54cm top tube, which does seem about right for your height according to the standard sizing charts, but it will feel much smaller than the 56 Tricross due to the 35mm shorter chainstays, 20mm shorter top tube and lower handlebars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Anyhoo, wending my way home down the N11 enjoying the spring weather and direct drive of the trusty single cross, wonderring why people were so critical of it's cycle lanes when bang! I hit a bump, threw the chain and locked the backwheel. My first ever skid stop was cool, the broken chain, spoke and axle inset less so.

Do us all a favour, and go after Dun Laoighre council for damages.

Yes, 56" singlecross. As I've mentioned I'm used to bikes that are too big (heritage of "growing into" syndrome), I'm determined next bike will be the right size rather than perpetuating my Sarkozy like denial, even if it takes a bit of getting used to.
    Yup, car park is not much cop for a try out - I forgot to even get down on the drops. A black mark for Halfords I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

If you want a bike that fits go to Wheelworx. They take a very professional approach to bike fitting.

Yup, car park is not much cop for a try out - I forgot to even get down on the drops. A black mark for Halfords I'm afraid.

It's Halfords. TBH, I'm not sure many proper shops would lend you a bike long enough to get a decent impression (i.e. an hour or two on mixed roads) unless it was used. Could be wrong though.

I think you'll have trouble getting a good impression of any road bike given how different in size and design it is to your Tricross - it'll take a while to adjust to the fit. I can't believe you were riding a 60cm frame before that!

FWIW (nothing probably) I'd be happy to buy a Boardman without riding it based on the VFM of the package and good reviews.

chakattack wrote: »
    If you want a bike that fits go to Wheelworx. They take a very professional approach to bike fitting.

That's my next port of call.

Lumen wrote: »
    It's Halfords. TBH, I'm not sure many proper shops would lend you a bike long enough to get a decent impression (i.e. an hour or two on mixed roads) unless it was used. Could be wrong though.
    Cycleways let me out on the street after I left my passport with them. I only spun round the block a few times but it did give a useful impression.
    I can't believe you were riding a 60cm frame before that!.
    Crazy but true - I had just enough clearance between my nads and the crossbar.
    FWIW (nothing probably) I'd be happy to buy a Boardman without riding it based on the VFM of the package and good reviews.

If I were to do that the P word would enter the equation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Made it out to carrickmines and got a shot on the Boardman. Nice, but no cigar so far.
    Ok, so I know Halfords is understaffed and have to deal with a lot tyre kickers (people, do your research beforehand, a 200e kids bike is a 200e kids bike), so had to hang around for a while before I got set up with the bike.
    And set up involved pumping up the tyres, it was a display model. The sales guy wasn't really clued into sizing the bike, fair enough, I'm a bit confused on what size I should use myself.
    First "spin" was in the showroom itself. Good brakes, I nearly went over the bars right there which would have been embarassing. Didn't bother trying to change the pedals so was using the stock cage pedals with my spd shoes, not the greatest combination.
    Persuaded the manager to let me pootle about in their back car park, so was able to get a better feel.
    My main conclusions were:
    Nice bike.
    But not sure I got the sizing right. I'm 5'7", 29" inside leg, the bike was the small one which my internet research suggested was the recommended one for me. But I currently ride a 56" specialized, my bike of 20 years before that was (don't laugh) a 60" frame.
    Anyway, it was light and stiff. A combination of these and the fact it was so small felt like I wasn't on a bike at all, which was weird.
    Not too gone on the shifters, they seemed a bit flimsy, but then I'm fixie guy and had downtube shifters before that -so who knows what kids these days get up with their new fangled technology.
    It was impressive, but not get the laser card out impressive.
    The lack of anyone to reassure me on sizing and fit up would be negative however. The jury is out till I try the mythos and allez.

Souter

I recently purchased a Boardman Road Comp and have to say its 1st class. Now i really only have it about 3/4 wks and have clocked up about 200k on it. I was nervous of Hlafords putting it together but i made sure it was the supervisor who assembled the bike. I'm due a 6 week check up next week so i'll be asking for the same guy again to do that. On the matter of sizing; im about 5'10 and i have a medium size Boardman. I got sized in Halfords using their sizing chart. Was this option not given to you. Its basically a measurement of your inside leg and what category that size fits into in relation to small/medium or large bike size.

The shifters are hard to get used to after a couple of spins its like 2nd nature. Anyway, good luck with the search but i'd recommend the Boardman anyday

I think if you get just about any bike that it is in the ballpark, e.g. not completely the wrong size, you can get it to fit changing, primarily, the stem.

I have certainly had good luck with over 10 bikes this way.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Do us all a favour, and go after Dun Laoighre council for damages.

Afraid I'll have to plead apathy on this. I didn't take a photograph of the offending bump, I was probably guilty of contributory negligence in having my chain too loose and going too fast.
    Sorry, I'll be like everybody and hope that somebody else will pester the council, since anybody could but nobody will end up doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

If I were to do that the P word would enter the equation.
    Perhaps you should welcome it in:).

Gone and dropped 1500 on a Dolan Mythos. Ulp. Had just about decided to go with an Allez but we were looking at a grand with tiagra so was beginning to consider the Planet X. But I couldn't figure out their sizing so decided to try the Dolan at wheelworx since the frames looked similarish. But it was love at first site, and a not bad deal with shimano 105 plus the benefits of proper fitting and a bricks and mortar shop to come back.
    Can't wait to get it next weekend, though I'll feel a bit of a fraud riding such a slick bike. At least with the single cross I could blame the bike for hanging at the back.

Nice bike and good value, I am sure you will get on great with it. I will concur it looks better than a P...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Congratulations, enjoy that lovely bike.

Advertisement