Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Gear LIDL

• 05-03-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi , has any one seen the stuff lidl are doing next week, was thinking of getting new pant's and a mini tank bag - just wondering if the quailty is any good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

got one of the tank bags a few years back. Well worth the money. Dont know about the pants

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

cheers - i will have a look on monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Looks ok but try Cotters in Ballymount, that's where I go all my gear, prices are similar but Cotters have a larger selection and you can try on the gear there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

I've used the cordura pants for a few years now, and have found them great. The removable lining is very handy for winter/summer use. Tank bag good quality, as already mentioned.

The bike socks are very comfy too and worth getting if you need them.

If you get the wrong size in Lidl gear, there isn't a problem returning them either for exchange or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

It's generally not too bad gear for the price. The ALDI stuff seems a bit better than LIDL in my opinion. Keep the receipts and you can get refunded if not happy. Waterproofing on the jackets and pants are as good if not better than some high end gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Well im just back from Lidl where i bought the ladies motorcycle trousers and Jacket, and i intend to take them back later!!

Over the years i have bought a lot of the "B-square" stuff that they have sold but i dont think much of this stuff at all (crivit sports).
    My usual textile stuff is belstaff and i suppose ive got used to the fastener etc on those because the crivit stuff seems a bit fiddly tbh.
    The trousers and the jacket are covered in loose threads/stitching- i wouldnt buy day to day clothes like that so im sure as hell not buying bike clothes like it!
    Im normally a size 10 and i found i could get these on....with a bit of effort!!
    and finally the lining in the jacket is a "waistcoat", and i found that a bit fussy too tbh, but that could just be me:)

Please dont get me wrong, i am by no means a "brand" person and as i said before, i have bought loads of their stuff previously, but i really was not impressed by these at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Picked up a pair of gloves and a tank bag, Pretty happy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

got the trousers kidney belt and a thermal top,,trousers seem to work well,,no more feeling the cold like you do when your wearing a pair of jeans but the knee pads will take a while to get used to

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

got myself a mini tank bag and gloves, happy out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Got the bigger of the 2 tank bags. nice and neat very handy with the strap to throw over your shoulder. Only takes a second to throw it over your shoulder from the tank. Had a waterproof cover in the side pocket too. It will save me leaving bits and pieces in the pannier bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

got myself a mini tank bag and gloves, happy out
    Got the mini one too as it seemed a perfect size for keys, wallet, phone and lunchbox.

Got the obligatory cover too. Tempted to get another one if there are any left because people tend to steal them off my bike. - yes, people steal a €10 lidl bike cover, sigh... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I bought both tank bags.

The small one seems perfect for day spins. You can store things like sunglases, map, etc.

The big one seems great for away weekends, or longer trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I got the tank bag, seems a reasonable size and cheaper than bike shops, Cotters included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Anyone know if Finglas still has any of the bigger tank bags left? Was gonna pick one up on the way back this evening. Will try Coolock if they don't have them in Finglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

What is with the odd sizes for everything?

Dropped in to Lidl Monday afternoon and all they had was large/extra large/extra small in gloves, and large/xl in the jackets.

Aren't there are 'medium' sized people in Ireland???

At least the bike chain was the right size :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Aren't there are 'medium' sized people in Ireland???

There is, but they were all at the shops in the morning ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Jaden wrote: »
    Anyone know if Finglas still has any of the bigger tank bags left? Was gonna pick one up on the way back this evening. Will try Coolock if they don't have them in Finglas.

If you have no joy let me know and I can swing by the Tyrrelstown branch and have a look there for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Asok wrote: »
    If you have no joy let me know and I can swing by the Tyrrelstown branch and have a look there for ya.

Cool, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Jaden wrote: »

They had loads yesterday afternoon. I doubt they have sold out.

are the bike locks any good,anyone any opinions on them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Picked up one, as well as a tank bag. The lock is OK, I wanted it as a spare for work. No issues using it as the bike is alarmed and just outside the office.

Use my big lock at home as it is a better lock, don't think I'd trust the lidl one as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I bought one and it seems decent. I don't think it would last too long against a hacksaw though and it's a bit tricky to grip with gloves on. But, as a deterrent it works just fine.

I have a stronger, but shorter 1" thick encased wire lock. It's too short to wrap around the anchor pole in the motorcycle parking bay where I work, so I bought this lock just for there. With the security cameras and disc lock alarm, it should be safe enough :D

I wouldn't trust securing the bike with just the Lidl lock though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dammit cant believe i missed this! Wanted to get one of the jump starter thingies! :(

faceman wrote: »
    Dammit cant believe i missed this! Wanted to get one of the jump starter thingies! :(

not to worry,,they didnt have the jump start packs this time round:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Depends what you are riding, I certainly wouldn't secure an of my bikes with one unless I had a branded back up. If I'm in the city I carry three locks, two with chains and an abus Granite.

I learned my lesson a few years ago when I had a SRX 400 swiped from outside my doorstep, (Got it back a week later untouched).

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

Depends what you are riding, I certainly wouldn't secure an of my bikes with one unless I had a branded back up. If I'm in the city I carry three locks, two with chains and an abus Granite.

I learned my lesson a few years ago when I had a SRX 400 swiped from outside my doorstep, (Got it back a week later untouched).

Theres bad people out there,
    If someone wants it bad enough they ll have it. 20 locks wouldent stop em.
    Dont have it unless you can do without it... (Not fair.. Just the way it is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ikb wrote: »
    Theres bad people out there,
    If someone wants it bad enough they ll have it. 20 locks wouldent stop em.
    Dont have it unless you can do without it... (Not fair.. Just the way it is).
    My fear off an "over secured bike" is that some spiteful fu*ker would swipe bits off it, someone already had a go at my fuel pump. In the city / airport I always lock it in view of CCTV cams.

i ended up getting 2 of the locks in the end,,iv looped them to make 1lock so i can lock up me 3 bikes out the front of my house together,,as long as the deterrent value for them works i dont mind if there cheap or not,,as long as it gives me enough time to get outside the door to leather them caught in the act it will be money well spent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

i ended up getting 2 of the locks in the end,,iv looped them to make 1lock so i can lock up me 3 bikes out the front of my house together,,as long as the deterrent value for them works i dont mind if there cheap or not,,as long as it gives me enough time to get outside the door to leather them caught in the act it will be money well spent :)
    Thats the spirit,
    If more of us took time and effort to address these little issues ourselves, that would leave more time for the gentlemen in the Gardai to pursue their primary role... (with their nice new movie cameras)...!
    (sticks tongue in cheek.....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

I took the plunge and bought a jacket and trousers. They are alright I'd say. Full of loose threads as someone said. I meant to shop around but I was passing so I just bought the set. Do you thing they are value for money compared to what you might pay in a bike shop?

Advertisement