Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Image cropping software? 8x10, etc.?

• 05-03-2010 9:04pm

Hey all,

Not entirely sure how to word this properly, but I'm wondering.. Is there any software out there that will resize your photos (or allow you to resize a portion of them) to the correct aspect to be printed in 6x8, 8x10, etc. form?

I'm using an Olympus E-420. It's a 4:3 (four thirds) family camera, so the pictures taken with it are not 'widescreen', but instead, more squarish...

Alternatively, is there any way to tell using paint.net or paint (I think i've got Gimp, but I haven't a clue how to use it, im still very weak in this area) what size your photo will be able to be cropped to?

Don't want to print a load of photos, and realise that because the camera is 4:3 that the tops and bottoms of all my photos are missing, or i've big borders on the sides.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can set the ratio on the marquee in photoshop but I'm not sure if you have that program. I'm sure other programs have it too and you just need to figure it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Picassa by google will crop the right photo size. It's compatible with mac and Pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I tend to crop manually until I like what I have, and then chat to the printer guy to explain how I want it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

if you've already the gimp on board then my post in this thread explains how to crop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Picasa has a great cropping tool, you can set the aspect ratio or print size & it will force you to that. You can also crop freehand.

I also use irfanview http://www.irfanview.com/ sometimes - this is a very handy photo viewer/editor that will crop as well.

- FoxT

• Advertisement

Jesus. They make that complicated enough don't they.

Cheers for the brief tutorial ACD, but no one would happen to know of anything a little more straight-forward? Gimp keeps stretching my pictures. Is there no specific software for this? I thought it'd be common enough.

I remember a program called pixresizer or something I had before, but I think it only cropped for website sizes... must check it out again and see if it can help me.

EDIT: Nope, Pixresizer is useless. Doesn't give inches. Only approximates.

Advertisement