Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor spelling and grammar result in binned CVs

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I wouldn't really see it as that important to be great at spelling, at the same time I wouldn't hire someone with spelling mistakes on the CV cause it says that they're not even interested in the job enough to run a spell checker over

Spell checker is what I believe to be the real problem.We were always told to turn it off when doing essays in college. It has lead to laziness in many people, including myself. I don't care too much about my grammer and spelling on forums etc, but keep on eye on it in CVs, essays etc, though I am still prone to the typos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    The problem with the spell checker is that it only shows incorrectly spelt words and not incorrectly used words.

I am dyslexic and some of the most frequent errors I make are typos that spell actual words, just not the one I was looking to write.

For example, 'fro' instead of 'for', 'from' instead of 'form'.

Having said that spell check is a god send. I never had got through college or be able to do my current job without it. It eliminates maybe 70% of my errors.

It bugs me when people get all high and mighty about misspellings. I think its a mistake for Google to bin a CV for a spelling error. They may well be missing out on excellent employees because they are equating spelling ability with intelligence.
    Proofreading on top of a spell check is always advised on anything like a CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think its about confusing spelling with intelligence, but it is possible to completely alter the meaning of a sentence with a mis-spelled word, a typo or a word used incorrectly.

One of the most obvious examples is 'it is not possible' and 'it is now possible'. Employers need people who can be trusted to send out accurate correspondence, not have to employ someone to check other people's spelling. If the job being applied for requires good spelling and grammar, then the prospective employer will look for that in the cv. If it doesn't matter in the job, then the employer is less likely to be concerned.

It seems a bit unlikely that someone with dyslexia would put themself forward for a position that obviously requires accurate spelling, in the same way that I would not put myself forward for a job that called for mathemetical ability, or a good memory, since I have neither, I could almost say I am innumerate, that is why I am not an accountant or a surveyor. You do what you are best suited to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Louvarella wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that so many young people have such poor spelling and grammer.

Me too! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I had wrong dates on my CV for previous work experience - I cant remember exactly what way I had it but it read as though I was working 2 jobs at the same time. I had the wrong year on it (May 2008 instead of 2009 or something like that).

Thing is I got 5 job offers from places using it so they obviously hadn't paid that much attention or noticed it. I only noticed the mistake myself looking at it 6 months later. I remember paying particluar attention to spellings doing it though.

With regard to the whole bad spelling issue, I know how to spell but its my typing that lets me down...so theyre more typos really

• Advertisement

The problem with the spell checker is that it only shows incorrectly spelt words and not incorrectly used words.

I am dyslexic and some of the most frequent errors I make are typos that spell actual words, just not the one I was looking to write.

For example, 'fro' instead of 'for', 'from' instead of 'form'.

Having said that spell check is a god send. I never had got through college or be able to do my current job without it. It eliminates maybe 70% of my errors.

It bugs me when people get all high and mighty about misspellings. I think its a mistake for Google to bin a CV for a spelling error. They may well be missing out on excellent employees because they are equating spelling ability with intelligence.

Google have a great spell check now that was implemented in Wave. It uses the surrounding context to check the spelling of words.. Instead of dictionaries, it refers back to actual passages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Louvarella wrote: »
    Also I have noticed the actual handwriting is very poor quality and often has a very teenage/childlike look about it.

There is a very clear divide between the handwriting skills and grammer between those under 25ish and those over 25ish. As a previous poster mentioned, it must be down to a overall change in the importance of correct grammer/spelling at schools.

When I was in primary school back when dinosaurs roamed the world, we had to enter penmanship competitions, against our will!
    It was taken very seriously.

You could have completed 19 out of 20 sentences but if you make an error on the last sentence, then it's back to the start and begin again

Once we had the quality we built up the speed.
    The teacher would read a short story and we'd write it as she went along.
    And god help you if you mixed up your/your're or to/too/two or lose/loose and so on.
    You'd get asked sentaces sometimes and ask if it was it's or its for example and explain why in front of the class. Taken pretty seriously, this was an old-skool (yes skool :P) teacher.

I don't know if these take place anymore, I'd doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

... and ask if it was it's or its for example and explain why in front of the class...

This gets me every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

A curriculum vitae. No need for the capitalisation? :)

Shouldn't it be curicula vitarum in the plural, anyway? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

AARRRGH wrote: »
    [controversial]
    My experiences working with people who are dyslexic or have learning difficulties have not been good. I always ended up having to correct their work or do their work for them.
    [/controversial]

/Just sayin'

My own experience is that people with learning difficulties, and especially people with dyslexia, tend to go to much more length to ensure that what they've written is correct than people who don't suffer from the disorder. A lot of them actually turn into grammar Nazis, which is understandable I think. If they can make an effort and get it right, so can everybody else.

I think it's actually quite offensive to pull out the "but they could be dyslexic" excuse every time somebody displays and atrocious grasp of spelling or grammar. While they could be, chances are they're not. And while actual dyslexics put in all the time and effort to get it right, laziness gets excused with the very thing that forces them to work harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Google have a great spell check now that was implemented in Wave. It uses the surrounding context to check the spelling of words.. Instead of dictionaries, it refers back to actual passages.
    Interesting. Their translators work similarly.

Anyone can make and even miss a typo, but consistent failure to write correctly means either the person can't write properly or won't. When I receive semi-literate correspondence from a company, which I frequently do, I judge that company's professionalism. Companies don't want me or any other customer thinking ill of them just because their employee can't differentiate between their and they're.

Does the education system correctly prepare people for this? No, but it's hardly its biggest failure.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    My own experience is that people with learning difficulties, and especially people with dyslexia, tend to go to much more length to ensure that what they've written is correct than people who don't suffer from the disorder.
    There have been three people I've met on the internet who claimed to have dyslexia. One wrote perfect English. He admitted to me that he proof reads everything he writes because of his difficulty. I think very highly of him. The other two were barely literate people who took exception to my pointing out that their posts were incomprehensible. I doubt either one was dyslexic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I have many English teachers as friends on Facebook. Horrifies me to read their updates, "Love been home" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

It would be an interesting exercise to do a poll of users on boards.ie in terms of age and count the number of misspelled words and the incorrect usage of grammer in their posts. I'm curious when the standard of English started to deteriorate in terms of age as I'll never forget my 3rd class teacher and her focus on spelling and grammer. While she was somewhat tyrannical about it, we did enjoy the challenge and the whole competitive game play in that class.

OK, where's me Ovaltine?! (sic)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

jkforde wrote: »
    It would be an interesting exercise to do a poll of users on boards.ie in terms of age and count the number of misspelled words and the incorrect usage of grammer in their posts. I'm curious when the standard of English started to deteriorate in terms of age as I'll never forget my 3rd class teacher and her focus on spelling and grammer. While she was somewhat tyrannical about it, we did enjoy the challenge and the whole competitive game play in that class.

OK, where's me Ovaltine?! (sic)

I'm not sure if there's a connection with age.

I know teenagers that have good spelling and grammar. I know lots of people my own age (late 30s) that don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Maybe it's just certain people attracted to post on boards.ie then because the quality of the language formerly known as English on certain boards.ie forums is bad. Txt spk aside, if you're positioning yourself as using normal English then follow through and use it properly.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I interview and hire people for QA (software testing) roles.

If there are any mistakes or inconsistencies on their CV I won't interview them.

My logic? No attention to detail. Lack of concentration.

Advertisement