Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

upgrade option for 8 speed crank

• 05-03-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I want to do a cheap upgrade to a bike for my gf. She has a Trek 1000 with the stock 8 speed drivetrain. It's a Bontrager crank but presumably it's just a standard 8 speed crank and compatible with the Shimano gear. The problem is that it's a 50/39 which is a big tough for her. So I would like to switch out the crank for a 50/36 or even 50/34 if such a thing exists.

Any ideas / pointers?

EDIT: Needless to say it's a square taper.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

What's in the cassette? Changing that out for a wider range is likely to be a cheaper option (if the rear derailleur has the reach for the longer chain).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I couldn't find a cassette with a substantially (or any) easier gear, which currently is a 26T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I have a 50/36, with bb 8 speed that came off a Giant scr4, make me an offer, and I'll even throw in the cassette. Its a Truvative touro square taper with 170mm crank arm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

going compact may cause gip with your front derailleur

• Advertisement

xz wrote: »
    I have a 50/36, with bb 8 speed that came off a Giant scr4, make me an offer, and I'll even throw in the cassette. Its a Truvative touro square taper with 170mm crank arm
    umm give me a ball park to start with ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I couldn't find a cassette with a substantially (or any) easier gear, which currently is a 26T

You need to be looking at MTB cassettes rather than road ones. You'll get 11-28t, 11-30t, 11-32t and 11-34t http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=572.

If you stay with your 26t cassette:
    a 36t chainring will get you the same low gear as your 39t with a 28t cassette.
    a 34t chainring will get you the same low gear as your 39t with a 30t cassette.

start the haggling at €45

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You need to be looking at MTB cassettes rather than road ones.
    Good call. I think that's my solution.

Sorry xz (for the moment)

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Good call. I think that's my solution.

Sorry xz (for the moment)

the cassette is a 12-26 the crank is perfect for what you need, and its powerspline, not squre taper, even if you took the crank and combine it with a MTB cassette, it would be better than what she has, throw in a wild offer...;)

• Advertisement

Back looking for a compact again.xz your offer still there?

Yeah, for sure, I have the crank, rear mech a cassette and shifters if your interested

Totally missed this reply! I'm interested in the crank, will it work in a square taper bb? What cassette do you have?

I have the BB that goes with the cranks too, I forgot to mention it in my last post it is this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=powerspline, it's still in good condition, but as you see, a replacement is fairly inexpensive. The cassette is a 12-26, the chainrings are 50/36 with 170mm cranks, I even have spare 8speed sti shifters if youre interested in those too.Hopefully the BB should just swap out for the old one, its 68x108mm btw. I will try and get some pics of everything up by the weekend

Advertisement