Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun/Moon algorithms

Options
  • 05-03-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Could anyone point me in the direction of some algorithms for calculating the sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset times and directions for any given longitude and latitude? I'd also like to calculate nautical & civil twilight etc.

I don't have much knowledge of astronomy (or, frankly, advanced maths) but I've got a wide range of experience with programming languages so I could probably convert existing code to my preferred language (Ruby). Also, whilst accuracy is quite important, I'm only using these times for information for photographers -- nothing life-critical!

Many thanks for any help, pointers, references or books you could suggest!

Jamie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

see if Stellarium (the program)can help you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Other people will know much more about this than me but http://www.heavens-above.com/ gives you all that information. Maybe you can work backwards from that to work out your own calculations?

Advertisement