Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 vs C2D/C2Q?

Options
  • 05-03-2010 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

Im wondering what the difference between i7 and C2D/C2Q processors is?

Im currently pricing up laptops/computers, and the GHZ speed on the processors seems to be lower than it was this time a year ago, but obviously via different processors. Do they operate differently, and are thus rated slower?

For instance, I am looking at an "extremely powerful" alienware with 2.2GHZ and 3GB DDR3 for €1600, whereas a decent Acer Aspire with 2.53GHz and DDR2 cost me €1100 last yr...

Apologies for what will most likely transpire as spectacular ignorance btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

It's down to how the processors are designed. For example, a 3.5GHz Pentium 4 may have a higher clock speed than let's say an i7, but due to its architecture, it's about a million times slower (
    Warning : exaggeration
    )

Your best bet is to check out this handy list which compares loads of the current notebook processors: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Its not solely about processor speeds anymore, there are a number of other factors to take into account including number of cores, size(32nm, 45nm etc), cache etc. I3/I5/I7 are the latest Intel range and they replace the C2D/C2Q range.
    For instance, I am looking at an "extremely powerful" alienware with 2.2GHZ and 3GB DDR3 for €1500, whereas a decent Acer Aspire with 2.53GHz and DDR2 cost me €900 last yr...

You would need to give me the full detailed spec of these laptops to be sure but I would be pretty confident in saying that the Alienware has newer/faster technology because the RAM is DDR3 (DDR3>DDR2). All the new intel processors support DDR3. All this being said the Acer is probably a very good laptop as well and I would imagine you wouldnt be disapointed with it. Alienware is horribly overpriced by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Aside from what the differences are between this gen and the last gen, what are you planning on doing with the pc?

Hardware optimisation isn't as "large"(less choice with laptop) with laptops as it is for desktops, but it's still important and could save you a heck of a lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Its not solely about processor speeds anymore, there are a number of other factors to take into account including number of cores, size(32nm, 45nm etc), cache etc. I3/I5/I7 are the latest Intel range and they replace the C2D/C2Q range.

You would need to give me the full detailed spec of these laptops to be sure but I would be pretty confident in saying that the Alienware has newer/faster technology because the RAM is DDR3 (DDR3>DDR2). All the new intel processors support DDR3. All this being said the Acer is probably a very good laptop as well and I would imagine you wouldnt be disapointed with it. Alienware is horribly overpriced by the way.

Yeah Im aware Alienware fall into the trap bracket of Apple/Vaio's etc...

I wouldn't touch Acer again tbh, nothin but heartache, and their support is some of the most rage-inducing ineptitude you'll ever experience:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055796281&page=2&highlight=acer+warranty

I didn't have set specs per se on the alienware as they're so customisable, I was more going by the speed and Ram. The pricing would make more sense if it isn't just about the cpu anymore.

Advertisement