Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remastered Trek (CGI)

• 05-03-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Anyone find the new CGI distracting and detracting? I missed the grainy optical effects, with the model Enterprise shakily cruising by the camera at incorrect vectors :) and the worlds that were clearly drawn

I think this was CBS's attempt to bring this show "up to speed" with TNG, Ds9 etc as much as possible. But frankly I'd rather watch it with the original effects:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

yar CG is overrated, I dislike the arrogance of todays generation looking back and saying this or that doesn't fit into our CG domain so we'll change all the original effects and update them, its kinda like what the neo classicists did in revising Shakespeare plays to make them more unified. In summation don't mess with the classics but this falls on deaf ears as is the case with the remake?! of Robocop. If they CG ed209 they should be very careful to replicate the stop motion animation perfectly, otherwise it won't look menacing, 99% of the menace of ED209 came from the surreal extremely mechanical animation which was afforded through the use of stop motion with computers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

yar CG is overrated, I dislike the arrogance of todays generation looking back and saying this or that doesn't fit into our CG domain so we'll change all the original effects and update them, its kinda like what the neo classicists did in revising Shakespeare plays to make them more unified. In summation don't mess with the classics but this falls on deaf ears as is the case with the remake?! of Robocop. If they CG ed209 they should be very careful to replicate the stop motion animation perfectly, otherwise it won't look menacing, 99% of the menace of ED209 came from the surreal extremely mechanical animation which was afforded through the use of stop motion with computers.

Darren Aranfofsky was lined up to make an updated sequel, now THAT woulda rocked! (Robocop, not Trek)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Anyone find the new CGI distracting and detracting? ...]

Yep. It's jarring and it makes the rest of it look even more dated IMHO.
    Plus the CGI of the Enterprise is not all that good (a bit cartooney). I do like the new planets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Darren Aranfofsky was lined up to make an updated sequel, now THAT woulda rocked! (Robocop, not Trek)

A sequel would be fine, welcome even, but a remake would be awful, you can't make anything better than Verhovens classic, its perfect. Remakes are lame anyway, just low risk profit turners. I want new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it all look s really really fake and crappy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Why oh why!
    CGI looks crappy alright. At the standard of a dodgy DVD menu!

Anyone remember when Red Dwarf did the same with their early seasons? CGI ended up looking worse than the original models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Anyone find the new CGI distracting and detracting? I missed the grainy optical effects, with the model Enterprise shakily cruising by the camera at incorrect vectors :) and the worlds that were clearly drawn

I think this was CBS's attempt to bring this show "up to speed" with TNG, Ds9 etc as much as possible. But frankly I'd rather watch it with the original effects:

Yeah, it's a common ailment in Hollywood. Diagnosed as Dickaroundicus-Lucas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I like the new look.

The overall quality, aside from the CGI, is great. The new fx/CGI, too, I think was well done for the most part. Much more respectful than the Star Wars special ed's.

I'd agree they're not photo perfect models, a bit cartoony at times, but it hasn't bothered me.

I think most importantly, it doesn't pull me away from the suspension of disbelief any more than the ropey classic FX did - still feels every bit clasic Trek, just looks cleaner - and there's no over the top or pointless reworking/additions as found in Star Wars or ET.

Advertisement