Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best freeware for synchronizing & backing up folders??

• 05-03-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭

I've been making periodic back-ups of all my important folders and files onto a large external HDD. However a lot of them are media files and quite large and now its time to purge duplicates to free up space. Problem is figuring out which files are real duplicates rather than revisions of the same file name. In some cases I have also changed the folders structures as I revised how i wanted to organise them. There is too many to review manually. I have used duplicate file finder apps but they tend to identify so many matches its impractical to go through manually.

I'd like an app that could compare folders (and sub-folders) and provide a list of the common (duplicate) files and also unique files in each folder to make it easier to identify which folders can be simply deleted. Anyone got any recommendations?

Any suggestions for some freeware folder sync s/w that would help avoid this problem in the future?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 18 TrimLad

I haven't tried any of the available freeware but I use Vice Versa Pro which cost $60.00 for the last 2 years. It was well worth the price as it makes it very easy for me to sync my laptop & PC as I do my work on both computers, I also use it to back up to an external hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

I have used second copy in the past,fairly decent,cheap as well.
    just google it.
    They have a 30 day trial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 treefour

Syncback SE Link about halfway down the page.
    Cobain

What type of external drive? You could use cygwin/rsync on some WD Mybook models which would be the most efficient method.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

Try dropbox.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Synctoy is not a bad little free utility either, it will automatically delete folders on the target drive that that no longer on the source drive etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement