Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to upgrape graphics card

Options
  • 05-03-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Bought a new computer recently intending to play games comfortably on it but found the graphics card ain't up to scratch. So I want to update it so it can handle recent games with out too much hassle. Budgeting from 100 to 150 roughly so if anyone could recommend a decent graphics card for around that price it would be much appreciated. Posted some of the specs bellow if its any help. Thanks in advance.

Manufacturer: Acer
    Model: Aspire X33000
    Processer: AMD Phenom X3 8550, clocked at 2.2 GHz
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce G210 512mb
    4GB DDR3 SDRAM
    500 GB Hard Drive

Using my Samsung 19" 932MW LCD-TV at the min as a moniter
    Samsung 19" LCD-TV Syncmaster 932MW,

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The best graphics card you can aspire to is the HD5570 due to the Aspire-X's slimline case, but the PSU may be on the slim side - and not literally for once! :o

Don't suppose you fancy digging it open and posting a piccy of the big label on the side of the PSU in there? I've had a load of questions about Aspire-X3000 series units lately and I'd love to know exactly how much of its anemic 220W output is on the 12V rail - that info isn't readily available on the interwebs from the looks of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

The label was tiny couldn't get a good pic of it so just took down the details from it. Ill Pm them now

I doubt you'll have any problems with the HD5570 - TDP is 43W but that's a fairly unrealistic amount, even while gaming you should be seeing less. And the 95W TDP for your CPU should also be taken with a pinch of salt (slowest newer-stepping Phenom to have the 95W rating; in real life it'd more likely be around 70W) and as I don't see you burning DVDs and gaming simultaneously I think we're on pretty safe ground here - your PSU can safely manage roughly 170W on the all-important 12V rail so you should be well safe unless you do something very silly like try to heavily OC everything :P

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Brilliant Ill give this card a go then. One more thing though! Any recomendations on the best place to get one?

At this price range? Whoever's cheapest! :P Just remember to include shipping in that calculation! Its a much bigger issue with cheap GPU upgrades :o

The card is still a little overpriced in most places but graphics cards in general are horrendous this year, you can pick one up from Pixmania for well under €80 even including P&P.

• Advertisement
Advertisement