Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with a Salamander pump...

• 05-03-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    recently we've had the attic converted and there is now a shower up there. The house is a bungalow with the hot water cylinder on the ground floor and the cold water tank is up in the attic at the same level as the new shower.

So, the lad doing the work (who wasn't a true plumber...part of my problem..long story) fitted a Salamander negative head pump beside the hot water cylinder. The pump only drives the new shower and the wash basin in the same shower room, nothing else in the house.

So the shower was never right. After a minute or two the hot water pressure would just fall off and it would go to a trickle. If I switched the mixer shower to all cold then the pressure would pick up...but no hot water even though there is plenty of hot water in the cylinder.

So the guy who did the work sent out a plumber. He saw there was no flange fitted in the hot water cylinder so he fit one. I thought my problems were solved but no such luck, the problem is still there.

Now I haven't had the plumber back yet as I want to know more about what can be causing the problem.
    I really think there is air in the system because the mixer bar often emits a sound and then the hot water pressure drops shortly after hearing the noise.
    It's hard to describe but it's so annoying!

The plumber then said it may need a mixer valve down at the pump...now I don't know, isn't there already a mixer at the shower level and wouldn't this do the job. The plumber said the lack of a mixer valve could introduce very hot water into the pump which could damage the seals in the pump. But shouldn't the pump be able to manage temperatures of water from a standard domestic cylinder?

I dunno, I still feel air is at play here but I can't understand how air is getting in. Any ideas folks, I'd really appreciate some feedback as I'm going mad here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

It sounds like you have a thermostatic shower and it needs to be adjusted.
    Is the hot tap in the basin working ok ?

You should try posting in the Heating and Plumbing section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    It sounds like you have a thermostatic shower and it needs to be adjusted.
    Is the hot tap in the basin working ok ?

You should try posting in the Heating and Plumbing section.

no, hot water in wash basin often succumbs to the same problem.
    OK, I'll try the heating and plumbing section, thanks.

MODS, feel free to remove this post.

Advertisement