Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine sneaking in €4/month charge!

• 05-03-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Just got a letter from Deborah Tierney, Customer Service Manager for Imagine. She informs me "imagine Internet security" has been added to my account, offering protection from malware, spyware, viruses etc etc.

It's FREE for the first two months, but then 4 squids a month after that.

This isn't a letter offering me the opportunity to avail of this offer; apparently I'm just being informed that I'll soon be paying for it.

WTF? is this not illegal? I notice they didn't send an email about it (I consider snail mail defunct, I was lucky to have opened the letter). I have to call them to cancel the service.

This is unbelievably cheeky. I've enjoyed their Wimax service so far, which makes it all the more surprising.

Anyone else got this letter?

PS even though I've wireless broadband, I assume this is a general broadband topic.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I really hate this opt out stuff:rolleyes: Its like when you book for Aer lingus and you have to opt out of the insurance.

No one would tolerate a supermarket slipping stuff into your basked that you had to take out before you hit the tills why should this sort of crap be tolerated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Yeah the amount of opt out's i had to unclick when i got UTV's bb. Couldn't believe it.

Then came the extra's

UNLIMTED usage FREE for first 3 months (€5.99 per month thereafter)

FREE Router! (€9.50 fee for P&P applicable – includes ‘signed for delivery’ direct to your door) or Receive 1 month of broadband free if ADSL modem not required!

Broadband only price is €26.99 per month (not true!)

(€3.00 discount already included with your UTV Broadband monthly subscription). If you choose broadband only with out a talk package its 29.99.

Why can't UTV just say how much it costs and have ADDON's that up the price. Instead of hiding the price.

Same as Eircom saying the broadband is so much, but its only for 3 months and then the price doubles.

All not encl. line rental

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dub45 wrote: »
    I really hate this opt out stuff:rolleyes: Its like when you book for Aer lingus and you have to opt out of the insurance.

The aer lingus thing isn't as bad because you only have to untick a box. This is bullshít though. Having to ring them up to cancel a service you never wanted or asked for in the first place. Fúck that shít.

The aer lingus thing isn't as bad because you only have to untick a box. This is bullshít though. Having to ring them up to cancel a service you never wanted or asked for in the first place. Fúck that shít.

But why should anyone have to untick a box? It all smacks of 'cute hoorism'.

A customer should always have to choice to opt in and not the reverse.

It makes me suspicious of the integrity of any company who operates in this way. Sadly theres far too many companies that you have to be suspicious of their integrity these days:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dub45 wrote: »
    But why should anyone have to untick a box? It all smacks of 'cute hoorism'.

A customer should always have to choice to opt in and not the reverse.

It makes me suspicious of the integrity of any company who operates in this way. Sadly theres far too many companies that you have to be suspicious of their integrity these days:(

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you just saying it's easier to un-tick a box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But can such a service even work?

Even if you have up to date AV on PC, it's easily defeated by "social engineering".

watty wrote: »
    But can such a service even work?

Even if you have up to date AV on PC, it's easily defeated by "social engineering".

Yep have been thinking about this and I wonder what are they actually offering?

Do they quantify exactly what you are paying for? In fact how do you know it is even applied?

Advertisement