Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help Me segmenting, targeting, positioning

• 05-03-2010 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I am attending UCD and am doing a module in marketing, for this I need to complete a project on toyota specifically on the targeting, segmenting, and positoning of Toyota in the Irish market.

I dont know how Toyota seget, target etc even trying to cal them and all, i cant find any info on them.

I am finding this project very hard as I am dislexic and have failed many exams already so i really want to do well in this project

Could anybody tell me how they segmet, target, and positioning on the Irish market. I'd be really greatful and if anybody has any papers or knows of where to get papers on them please tel me thanks.

Thank you so much

Robert

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It would not surprise me that Toyota Irl was focussed on sales and little engagement / role in strategic marketing etc? I expect that Toyota Ireland have little influence (apart from 'localised' tweaking) minor on determining market segmentation, perhaps Toyota UK might have more influence but I suspect much will originate in Japan?

However to get a useful insight at an operational level you might try and talk to the creatives/account managers handling the toyota account here/UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

OP - very true as they are really only a passenger. Another aspect is the VRT. Some Toyotas up North are a few cc's below ours - same model but lower cc - A few garages here bought cars from Toyota UK (much the the fury of Toyota IRE). But they could sell then much cheaper than the irish models as the CC's meant they were on a different VRT rate - that really not segmenting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Aoifebm

A starting point would be to read up on the history of toyota. How they started - try searching wikipedia or googling toyota in ireland.

When u have learned a little about them then you can begin trying to understand their marketing strategy.

Take each heading seperately -
    first Segmentation. Discuss what are the different types of car buyers eg. people who buy stationwagons want reliability, people who buy ferrari want to look good etc. Determine who are the customers and if there is a group who do not already have an existing product catered to them which toyota could fill.
    Targeting - what type of people were toyota thinking about when they invented their product? who would be the type of people who would buy the product.
    Positioning -how did they get these people to notice their product and buy it? talk about advertising, logo, brand image etc.

Marketing is all about your own opinion. Think about why you believe toyota were successful in ireland But use the headings above to show this constructively.

Hope this helps, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

Toyota marketing strategy is more or less determined by the parent company however you can see it at work here and plays out the same all over the world.

The company is so huge you need to focus on a particular product, e.g. motor vehicles is obvious and within that you have model types, e.g. corolla, yaris, avensis and product categories, e.g. commercial or personal.

they could segment on this basis, commercial or personal and have seperate strategies for each.
    Target: core consumer types within each segment, e.g. male/female
    Position: on basis of price, quality,mpg etc against rivals positions

To complicate matters some models have no presence in particular segments, e.g. very few female commercial drivers would buy a yaris so no demand so no need for a strategy.

You could apply the same thesis to forklifts, e.g. commercial only but what segments exist and who do they target and what market position do they take or need to take etc.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement