Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked wall repair?

• 05-03-2010 11:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a room I need to decorate, but there's some significant cracks I need to deal with first. I'm handy enough with the pollyfiller but I think this goes beyond that!

Sorry about the quality of pics, taken with a phone!

Can anyone advise on the best way to deal with this? Once I break away any loose and broken plaster then there will be significant gaps!

106865.JPG

106864.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

roughly how big is the gap? Me thinks a good filling knife and some pollyfiller would sort em.
    I recently cut a hole into plaster, kept the piece and managed to patch it back complete! It took 3 layers of careful applying and sanding though.
    worth it in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I had same problem. Use polyfiler. then when it dries sand it and wet it with a cloth after sanding then fill the bad areas again. Repeat until the desired finish.....

Here is one I made earlier :D

ps: if some of the cracks are a bit wide use wet toilet paper as a backing. Works a charm on ceilings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Is this a partition wall? Looks like its moving a bit, with cracks like that. You would need something stronger than polyfiller as it will crack again.

I would rake it out a bit more, mix some bonding/skim together then fill into crack, don't have it flush, then put some scrim tape over it and then fill with some polyfiller.

But make sure the slab nails havent popped from plasterboard before filling, get some dry wall screws and secure back to batten....

Advertisement