Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1938 Free State Engineer Commandant Dress uniform

• 05-03-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

A 1938 Free State Engineer Commandant Dress uniform was sold by Bosleys recently. The buyer would have payed out about 2500 euro for it by my calculation.
    Must be rare really. No trousers it seems.
    By overalls do they mean overcoat?
    http://www.mycommissionbid.com/bid/viewitem.php?id=789
    I want one. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pertinax wrote: »
    By overalls do they mean overcoat?
    No, an engineer's overalls for doing dirty work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Commandant is not the same as captain Captain.

i wonder what became of the uniform the Blue Hussars wore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Commandant is not the same as captain Captain.
    ???? Did someone say it was.

Commandant is the equivalent to major in other armies and I think Superintendent in the Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭davetherave

The ranks are those of a Comdt (one bar, one diamond), but the name on it says Capt.
    Presumably he had had the same tunic from when he was a captain.
    Lot: 789
    1938 Irish Free State Army Engineer Commandant Full Dress Uniform, Shako & Sword Belt
    A rare attributed example worn by Commandant (Captain) P. Downs. Comprising: 1935 pattern dark blue cloth shako with red crown embellished with embroidery. Silvered on red bullion FF star to front, cap cords supported by silvered buttons. Crimson cotton lining to the interior with leather sweatband ... Tunic of the correct pattern, dark blue melton cloth, with scarlet facings to the cuffs and collar. The latter with silvered Engineer pattern badges and the cuffs decorated with an inverted chevron of silver lace and three silvered buttons of a harp flanked by 'I V'. The shoulder cords with bullion rank indicating Commandant, the left cord incorporating an aiguillette. The interior is fully lined with original tailor's label of 'F Ahrine Newbridge'. Typed name 'Capt P Downs April 1938'. ... Overalls of matching blue cloth with scarlet line ... Waist belt of silvered shamrock pattern lace with a rectangular silvered clasp. This mounted with an Engineer device. Complete with two bullion lace sword slings ... Also a web sword belt. The overall condition is good slight service and age wear. (5 items).

Estimate: (£600 - £800)

Advertisement