Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast feeding Pain - any advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You did brilliant lady. Xxx

It's most important that Rose has a happy mammy over anything else.
    i agree completely, you would run the risk of getting PND and that's no good for anyone.. so get out the bottles and enjoy your baby:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Why does it bother you so much? This is the second post of yours that I've seen telling people not to breastfeed. Is it inconceivable to you that people may wish to continue with something in spite of difficulty for the longterm benefit of their child and themselves? The OP was looking for advice on solving the pain not on whether she should give up or not.

No one said there was anything wrong with bottle feeding for the record.

It bothers me coz I am sick of the 'breast is best' mob. I hate the way some people, expecially medical professionals, look down their noses at you if you decide not to breast feed. There are pros and cons for both breast and bottle. All I was saying to the OP was to think about if the level of pain and discomfort was really worth it. If mother is stressed, baby is stressed. If there are issues feeding baby may not get enough regular nourishment.

There are options for those having difficulty breast feeding and if they choose to stop they should not feel like they are a bad mother or letting down their baby, in the same way that those who breast feed should not feel superior to those who don't.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It bothers me coz I am sick of the 'breast is best' mob. I hate the way some people, expecially medical professionals, look down their noses at you if you decide not to breast feed. There are pros and cons for both breast and bottle. All I was saying to the OP was to think about if the level of pain and discomfort was really worth it. If mother is stressed, baby is stressed. If there are issues feeding baby may not get enough regular nourishment.

There are options for those having difficulty breast feeding and if they choose to stop they should not feel like they are a bad mother or letting down their baby, in the same way that those who breast feed should not feel superior to those who don't.

I agree that what's best for the mother is best for the baby, how a woman chooses to feed her child is her choice completely. That is why I objected to you pushing the bottle in a breastfeeding thread, if it was the other way around there'd be a lot said.

I also think it's quite patronising that you feel that you need to inform women that they have a choice, they know.

Not one post on this thread (or the other you posted on) looked down bottles, just because someone encourages someone interested in breastfeeding doesn't mean they're slagging off bottle feeders.

IMO guilt should not play a role in the nourishment of babies regardless of how they are fed (that includes 'baby not getting enough' type comments), however I've yet to talk to a mother who has felt no guilt in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Best of luck, sure you dont need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks a mill all for the support. Rose is doing brilliant on the bottles and is now drinking almost 100mls every feed :eek::D

I had the public health nurse visit yesterday, I was a bit anxious that she might try to persuade me to try breast feeding again but she was fantastic, really supportive.
    She gave me some great advice on how to stop the milk, as some of the advice online is conflicting (a lot of websites advising to express some milk off in shower to ease heaviness - nurse said don't do that, turn back to shower or have a bath instead as the warm water will only cause more milk to be produced)

They're still very heavy and very sore at night but hopefully it wont take too long for them to dry up. The novelty of having Pamela Anderson size funbags is wearing off fast :o:rolleyes:;)

tomcollins97 I know what you mean, I told several midwives that I was in a lot of pain, none actually checked my breast to see if I mightve had an infection or a duct blockage, I was basically told to keep at it and it would be fine. I felt a bit like I was being told just to get on with it. When I asked about topping up her feeds with formula or expressing instead it was brushed off.
    I think if there had been some more emphasis on the health and well being of mum a lot more women would carry on with breast feeding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement