Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever seen a worse number plate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I remember lusting after that car when the MK V GTi came out first:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Apart from the font, what's wrong with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That is the problem I have with it.
    It looks like someone typed out the reg in Microsoft Word in the biggest font possible and stuck it on the car.

Ruins the look of the GTI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I saw a black Liverpool FC branded plate today, it was particularly atrocious. Sorry, can't find pics (you're probably better off not seeing it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

That is the problem I have with it.
    It looks like someone typed out the reg in Microsoft Word in the biggest font possible and stuck it on the car.

Ruins the look of the GTI.

Hardly a problem when you can get a set of plates made up for €20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

There's another one with ** * 54 down our way in the same font, it's a tiddly-eye ffs:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've seen ones equally as bad. And it's even worse when this sort of crap is on a brand new car. Someone goes to a dealer, pays thousands for their new car and goes to the trouble of "personalising" it by getting a crap, non standard, illegal numberplate put on it. Probably pays extra for it too. I have seen numberplates with very thin swirly fonts and plates with a font like somebody's messy handwriting, both types virtually illegible even when up close. Then there are the ones who have a yellow rear plates with an Irish reg, have seen this on brand new cars as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I remember a plate from years ago. Not sure if it was intended as some kind of off the wall humour, but it was a hearse with the reg "LIV 1"
    It was actually used for my aunts funeral in the early 80's, and I seen it couple of times after that around the Terenure / Rathgar area.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Boardwatcher

I once put black number plates on a silver car i owned. Looked alright actually but i had to change them back over after being stopped by the guards.

Then i had a 2002 car that i put the plates in squiggly italics, which thinking about it did not look all that great. The reg also had 007 in it, but nooo, i did not put a space between that and the rest of the number!:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You see far worse on Donegal spec Toyota Twin Cams. You'll have the type in hieroglyphics, a yellow plate at the back and some kind of witless slogan as the subtext, e.g. "If in doubt, diff 'er out".

Oh and you'll be wanting a misaligned sticker on one of the windows advertising eastRaphoeAE86midnitedrifters.geocities.com...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Duiske wrote: »
    I remember a plate from years ago. Not sure if it was intended as some kind of off the wall humour, but it was a hearse with the reg "LIV 1"

There was an HIV series as well... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

EPM wrote: »
    I remember lusting after that car when the MK V GTi came out first:mad:

That's a nice car but it needs the bigger set of wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Robbo wrote: »
    You see far worse on Donegal spec Toyota Twin Cams. You'll have the type in hieroglyphics, a yellow plate at the back and some kind of witless slogan as the subtext, e.g. "If in doubt, diff 'er out".

Oh and you'll be wanting a misaligned sticker on one of the windows advertising eastRaphoeAE86midnitedrifters.geocities.com...

LOL sad but true, and James would say (Shout/sing) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I have a pic of a car with that plate taken at a classic show

CIMG0713.jpg

I think the big font on the GTI is just because of the small amount of numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Cant remember if the guy in the vrt office told me or if i read it on here but the story goes a priest reg'd a car and got the number 09 D 666, of course they quickly called Shannon and changed it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I think you read porkies. Some years ago '666' was removed from the number plate system unless requested as a personalised plate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Robbo wrote: »

We don't "do" legal reg plates in Donegal. :P

The worst I've had has been white front, yellow rear, bold font, no dashes, no county as gaelige, no euroflag. Oddly enough never had a problem with it in Donegal but the NCT people didn't like it! Still not got the impetus to fit my current "Donegal standard" bold, dashless, countyless plates to my car so its all legal at the moment.

The yellow rear and no euroflag thing came from the era when it was a lot more dodgy to park your Southern registered car in the North, not had any issues for ages along those lines so I don't see why you'd bother now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I picked up a brand new Mazda 3 yesterday with a bold font on the plate that I don't like at all. Not as big as the GTi in the OP, but not sure if it complies to regulations. Picked up from a (new) Main Mazda dealer

Might post a pic on Monday and see what you all think. Apart from that, it's a bloody cracking looking car! 1.6Tdi Sport Saloon in Mica Grey that we've had full black leather interior fitted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

old fashion polish plate, they're gone now replaced by EU ones :)

gayplate.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Apparently they asked for Dood 007
    http://i.imgur.com/9ptfq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

How come you can get away with them plates up in donegal it amazes me as you wouldnt get away with it in any other part of the country

Onkle wrote: »
    I think you read porkies. Some years ago '666' was removed from the number plate system unless requested as a personalised plate

Nice to know our registration system recognizes superstition!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

Senna wrote: »
    Cant remember if the guy in the vrt office told me or if i read it on here but the story goes a priest reg'd a car and got the number 09 D 666, of course they quickly called Shannon and changed it:D

I remember the thread. Found it. It was a regular poster here Saab Ed
    Onkle wrote: »
    There was another number before the 666 alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Our old car had the reg HIV 537.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Chap I worked for years back had a 280 SL Merc that he bought off Bono. The reg was XXX 666, or maybe the other way round!

Advertisement