Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OTT rail posts

• 06-03-2010 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Why is there so many ridiculous postings on this site?

One claims CIE is like the mafia (WRC thread)
    (yes there was some corruption but the mafia?)

Another says the Church was involved in the withdrawl of engines??????:confused:

This is just over the top and quite silly I think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Another says the Church was involved in the withdrawl of engines??????:confused:

www.irrs.ie this way ..........:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Tescoboat52

www.irrs.ie this way ..........:pac:

A rail society website, I know, but what has this to do with anything???:confused:

I could get ugly on this, but I'll refrain just to say that yes, I agree with tesco about all this, that there's a hard-in clique of posters who would consider themselves refugees from other rail-oriented forums because they disagree vehemently with them, that they have their own little in-jokes that they are unwilling to share with outsiders in plain language and they've been tolerated and encouraged here for a long time before general boardsies decided to raise points.

My current stance is that if they want to have their clique, fair enough, as long as these regulars don't get in the way of the general boardsie's questions and answers. Play fair, and we'll get along.

JD, you can tell him to "hump off" of boards.ie or you can answer the question. this is still boards.ie, and telling people to leave the boards.ie umbrella isn't kosher. Now if you had added a clarification with an "only messing, but seriously *question answered in what you consider the clearest manner*", that would cover it nicely.

Disclaimer: mods if I have crossed a line above please delete this post but, again, I beg not to be barred permanently.

Deleted User I was merely suggesting that the poster might be happier with the IRRS set-up where even the slightest criticism of the mighty CIE is frowned upon. Tesco is only on the Boards since March (14 posts in) and he starts to give out about the stuff he's reading - nobody's forcing him. I put it to you that by the time you, and certain others, have your way most of the hardcore clique as you describe us will have moved on and the number of posts will have dwindled to something akin to the RUI board. Is that what you want?

The problem simply comes down to differing opinions. Some hate CIE with a passion and want to see it privatised while others like things as they are. The IRRS rarely seem to criticise CIE but I don't know if that's because of their relationship with the company or whether it's just that it's not within their remit.

The thing with the church is a bit of an inside joke, it's not to be taken literally.

• Advertisement

I could get ugly on this, but I'll refrain just to say that yes, I agree with tesco about all this, that there's a hard-in clique of posters who would consider themselves refugees from other rail-oriented forums because they disagree vehemently with them, that they have their own little in-jokes that they are unwilling to share with outsiders in plain language and they've been tolerated and encouraged here for a long time before general boardsies decided to raise points.

Exactly, there seems to be people here who will make obscure statements and then are unwilling to explain what is meant by them to the unenlightened, if they want to have a little clique then why not keep it of a board which is viewed by the public. If most people won't get an obscure reference then why put it up.

It seems at times like posters must conform to the view of a few and if they don't then they are derided in someway. Like the way someone put up a photo of a steam train the other day and rather than nicely suggest it was off topic a moderator (yes a moderator) put up a post saying it did nothing for him. Maybe it didn't, fair enough, but theres nice ways of saying things, this is important if you're a moderator. Otherwise it looks like a moderator deriding a new poster.

And no I don't think CIE shouldn't be criticised. It has its faults, but some people go way over the top. People criticise the boards like irish railway news yet on this very board people are made feel that they have to conform to the opinions of a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

My current stance is that if they want to have their clique, fair enough, as long as these regulars don't get in the way of the general boardsie's questions and answers. Play fair, and we'll get along.

JD, you can tell him to "hump off" of boards.ie or you can answer the question. this is still boards.ie, and telling people to leave the boards.ie umbrella isn't kosher. Now if you had added a clarification with an "only messing, but seriously *question answered in what you consider the clearest manner*", that would cover it nicely.

Disclaimer: mods if I have crossed a line above please delete this post but, again, I beg not to be barred permanently.

Your level of paranoia is quite unbelievable, but your level of ass covering with the mods is amusing.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they've been tolerated and encouraged here for a long time before general boardsies decided to raise points.

You even know what a "boardsie" is @ 14 posts in. Jolly well done for getting on the program.

CIE is a large and corrupt static target that is almost impossible to miss. It costs us a bloody fortune each year and remains resolutely unaccountable to its paymasters...the taxpayer.

Hang around Heuston some time around 5pm to figure out what platform your train is going from 10 minutes before it leaves and then figure out why that reservation of yours does not work on your train :)

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Your level of paranoia is quite unbelievable, but your level of ass covering with the mods is amusing.:D

I don't really see anything to suggest paranoia on the part of that poster.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You even know what a "boardsie" is @ 14 posts in. Jolly well done for getting on the program.

Dude, I said that. And we could make the same argument of some of the other posters in other threads who side full-on with the veterans.

Like I said before, as things stand this place falls between being a refugee camp for those of you kicked out of the other rail forums, and a place where general boardsies are sent if they want to discuss rail.

It's not important what you think of CIE, it's how you express yourself and how many times you do that. Making fun of new posters doesn't look well to the third party viewer, and inside jokes that aren't explained fully confuse and frustrate him/her.

Do I think these veterans shouldn't be here, and get kicked out? No, I don't. They add a lot to the forum, so much that I reckon if they got into the habit of starting new threads on topics that existing threads tangent off into, there'd be enough material to warrant a new sub-forum.

Do I beleive the place should be CIE-freindly by default? Absolutely not. They are accountable to everyone that uses the service, and if they f*ck up, then that needs to be posted about.

But it shouldn't be the default position that they are "a large and corrupt static target that is almost impossible to miss." Whatever about the rights and wrongs of that statement, it is a held opinion, and other held opinions must be allowed to be aired. Also opinions of both sides need to take a back-seat to actual happenings.

This place is a safe place to tell boards.ie about when CIE gets it wrong. It also needs to be a safe place for people to post when CIE gets it right too.

What I do beleive needs to change is this place needs to become freindlier to the general browsing boardsie. I beleive someone who spends most of his/her time somewhere else should be able to drop in, have a read, and not get confused by obscure references or bewildered by yet another rant against whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

What I think needs to happen is for users to stop telling other users how to behave on this board.

The board is the sum of its contributions. Very often, the rail contributions are narky and fighting. I have lost count of the number of rail related threads that I have closed down and the number of people I have banned.

If, instead, of doing the bellygazing you allposted about rail matters, it would be a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Deleted User I was merely suggesting that the poster might be happier with the IRRS set-up where even the slightest criticism of the mighty CIE is frowned upon. Tesco is only on the Boards since March (14 posts in) and he starts to give out about the stuff he's reading - nobody's forcing him. I put it to you that by the time you, and certain others, have your way most of the hardcore clique as you describe us will have moved on and the number of posts will have dwindled to something akin to the RUI board. Is that what you want?

you're funny :P, sure you didnt read what Victor said in reply to the last time you said this. Every Little Helps.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hang around Heuston some time around 5pm to figure out what platform your train is going from 10 minutes before it leaves

Same behaviour in London Victoria - get told the platform 10 mins before departure. Same carry-on in Brighton as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i cant see what the problem is there. 10 minutes to walk to the correct platform should be plenty id have thought

It can actually be tight. Victoria is a large station and if you end up staring at the departures boards near platform 3 then it's a fair schlep over to platform 19 though the hordes of folk who stand in front of you at every step. If someone is old or has a clutch of kids then it becomes madness.

The Germans use the same platform for the same train every day - I wonder why others can't manage it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

parsi wrote: »
    The Germans use the same platform for the same train every day - I wonder why others can't manage it ?

It's far too effecient to use just the one platform everyday! (Except in Limerick Junction!)

Anyway if for any reason the designated platform in the timetable was not the right one there'd be up-roar!
    You know the kind of out rage, people asking for heads to roll, public whippings and so on.....:D

Seriously though, I don't believe we've anywhere near the worst transport system. Nor do I believe CIE to be as bad as some do believe.

I use the CIE system on a daily basis, Nearly everyday in fact!
    I find the Buses (39A usually) to be clean and run pretty much on time, When I get the train in, normally on time albeit a little bit packed, but hey ITS RUSH HOUR!

Normally when I take a step back and see the kind of system we have its not too shabby, Maybe more of the 'out - there' enthusiasts would realise this if they travelled more with IÉ and CIÉ!

Oh BTW - I used to get p**sed off with CIÉ, but then I saw the European systems.... Changed my outlook!

Thats my rant anyway, and with no threats!!:D

Regards,
    Matt,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

CIE is a large and corrupt static target that is almost impossible to miss. It costs us a bloody fortune each year and remains resolutely unaccountable to its paymasters...the taxpayer.

Hang around Heuston some time around 5pm to figure out what platform your train is going from 10 minutes before it leaves and then figure out why that reservation of yours does not work on your train :)

How much does it cost you exactly?

How much does it cost you exactly?

Work for CIE do you? :D

Well according to: http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0679/D.0679.200904020016.html

The annual Exchequer subvention to CIE in 2009 in respect of its public service obligations was €313 million - that's a lot of dosh in any one's books and doesn't include capital expenditure such as the Midleton line, WRC, Dunboyne line, Kidare Route Projector, more railcars etc.etc...

In short CIE is bleeding the Irish taxpayer dry for very little in return and is becoming increasingly irrelevant to a very large section of society.

GM071class wrote: »
    It's far too effecient to use just the one platform everyday! (Except in Limerick Junction!)

Anyway if for any reason the designated platform in the timetable was not the right one there'd be up-roar!
    You know the kind of out rage, people asking for heads to roll, public whippings and so on.....:D

Seriously though, I don't believe we've anywhere near the worst transport system. Nor do I believe CIE to be as bad as some do believe.

I use the CIE system on a daily basis, Nearly everyday in fact!
    I find the Buses (39A usually) to be clean and run pretty much on time, When I get the train in, normally on time albeit a little bit packed, but hey ITS RUSH HOUR!

Normally when I take a step back and see the kind of system we have its not too shabby, Maybe more of the 'out - there' enthusiasts would realise this if they travelled more with IÉ and CIÉ!

Oh BTW - I used to get p**sed off with CIÉ, but then I saw the European systems.... Changed my outlook!

Thats my rant anyway, and with no threats!!:D

Regards,
    Matt,

Oh Lord.

A reservation system that works and is enforced, a platform system that allows consistency, quality stock on all lines, respectable ticketing systems , smartly dressed staff - these are all offered by the French (yes),the Germans, the Dutch, the Danes.

There seem to be two views here - the "everything IE touches is muck" view and the "everything IE touches is pure gold" view. The reality is closer to the former rather than the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

How? If anything European systems made me realise how bad we have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

I hope you are joking!

parsi wrote: »
    Oh Lord.

A reservation system that works and is enforced, a platform system that allows consistency, quality stock on all lines, respectable ticketing systems , smartly dressed staff - these are all offered by the French (yes),the Germans, the Dutch, the Danes.

There seem to be two views here - the "everything IE touches is muck" view and the "everything IE touches is pure gold" view. The reality is closer to the former rather than the latter.

Looking at the French system for a moment, Their trunk routes are fine, however alot of local services are seriously slow, and under-developed, especially in the north of the country.

It's a true statement to say that IÉ 'drop the ball' alot, but what railway doesn't?

In the UK I've been let down by Virgin Trains cancelling services at a moments notice, with NO INFORMATION at all.
    On a Sail & Rail trip to Amsterdam last summer I was delayed by an Hour in Rotterdam and just made it back into Hoek Van Holland for the Stena Hollandica... and there's been hundreds of more delays and cancellations I've seen.

So Did I sit there MOANING about any of these dealys?? NO!

Whats the point, It only takes an Ill Driver, Mechanical Fault, or Signalling failure to bring the house of well polished cards crashing down.

I Remember being one of only 2 foot passengers off Irish Ferries' 'Isle of Inishmore' one night.
    The train in Rosslare was Cancelled due to line maintenance.
    IÉ had a small Transit style mini bus waiting for us, this brought us to Rosslare Strand, where we got the Railcar to Enniscorthy, and then onto another bus for the rest of the journey.

There was 4 PAX when we arrived into Bray. 3 of those moaning. I wasn't because IÉ had gotten me home. They apologised for the inconvenience, but more to the point they did what they set out to do...

GET THEIR PASSENGERS HOME SAFE!

How something looks, or its age really doesn't worry me too much!

Regards,
    Matt,

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I have no complaints about Dublin Bus or Bus Eireann but Iarnrod Eireann... noisy railcars, chronic overcrowding, late depatures/arrivals, trains that haven't been cleaned for weeks on end, dodgy toilets and generally unhelpful staff seem to be all part of their commuter service. Intercity isn't that bad though but it's nothing special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I'll take your points on board about France GM071, basically SNCF don't give a damn about routes that are not TGV operated. But in saying that, is there any European country with excellent links in rural areas?

When one looks at the "real" intercity routes in any given country you can get a proper picture of how the majority of the customers in that country are treated by their railway company. We're talking here about Madrid to Barcelona, Paris to Lyon, Berlin to Hannover and London to Manchester for example.

On every one of the above intercity routes the trains are getting more comfortable (ride wise) and faster with investment. However, Ireland's premier intercity route, Dublin to Cork has gotten more uncomfortable and slower with investment.

Speaking of international routes intercity from London to Paris/Brussels beats the airlines hands down in terms of speed and comfort. Dublin to Belfast intercity doesn't even have an airline to compete with it, and yet IÉ still balls it up, they allow the bus to take them over in terms of speed, comfort and frequency on that route.

Leaving intercity out for a moment and focusing on suburban, the majority of European cities are investing heavily on their heavy rail metro systems, as did Dublin on the DART project. We've endured years of closures at weekends so that IÉ could improve capcity to eight carriages, just so capicity could be brought back down to pre DART project days by cutting rush hour DART frequency in the latest timetable to every 15 minutes. What a joke!!!

There's just no accountability in Iarnród Éireann, and as long as we have a gormless Transport minister, Barry Kenny and idiotic journalism standards the public won't care and will be happy to just moan about crap service instead of getting up off their arse to do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Has anybody else noticed that a lot of the "new" posters to this board are using the fada in the abbreviation, "IÉ"? I don't remember ever seeing it as anything but plain-old "IE" before that... Coincidence?

Aard wrote: »
    Has anybody else noticed that a lot of the "new" posters to this board are using the fada in the abbreviation, "IÉ"? I don't remember ever seeing it as anything but plain-old "IE" before that... Coincidence?

Conspiracy Therories has its own Forum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Judgement Day:
    I've suspected for some time that there are some people who misclick by one position on the drop-down menu of forums for Soc. It would explain some of the more eccentric posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Aard wrote: »

Didn't notice the fada but noticed a lot of new posters with similar opinion, most of whom appeared since this "Is this a trainspotter forum?" thread. Interesting how most use the fada.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Didn't notice the fada but noticed a lot of new posters with similar opinion, most of whom appeared since this "Is this a trainspotter forum?" thread. Interesting how most use the fada.

Do you think that they may be aliens? You know a genetic mutation like a crooked finger identified the aliens in "The Invaders"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Frankly I think this thread is close to running its course.

If you lot can get yourself back onto some semblance of a topic that's vaguely related to relate I'll leave it open another while.

Discussions on fadas, conspiracy theories, and the like, are all off topic.

paulm17781 wrote: »

I assume that You are speaking of my post's??

I joined this website only recently, as a means of informed debate on Irish Railway matters, and for the smoking thread.

I wish that my opinion would be treated as its own, and not diluted with anyone else'.

Kind Regards,
    Matt,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I'm only using the fada for Seachtain na Gaeilge, next week I'll be reverting back to the IR abbreviation instead :D.

Advertisement