Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quirky cafes & restaurants around town?

Options
  • 06-03-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,368 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any favoutite places around town that have some quirky aspects to them? thinking of places like the Winding Stair in the old days? or unusual menus?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

I'm not sure if you'd call it quirky, but a favourite haunt of mine is Busy Feet on South William Street.

It's small enough to be nice and cosy, but not too small that it's cramped.

The menu is gorgeous and not that expensive. The sandwich/soup combos are good value. Ham and cheese melt with roasted red pepper soup FTW!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Gruel on Dame Street is a great spot and a bit quirky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

My new haunt is 3FE on Abbey St. Tiny little place so it can get crowded, but the coffee is amazing, and you always meet a few characters in there. Got a recipe for orgasmic chocalate and chilli slices off a fella only yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

which Abbey Street is 3FE in?

Anyone been in a basement place northside - 'teagarden'? You go down a spiral staircase to get in. It's on the Liffey, Ormond Quay I think, and the front is green & white.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

the tea garden is a really nice place, mainly just serves tea and a few snacks, but mainly tea dozens of teas, you can smoke a shisha pipe there too, really cool chilled out atmosphere in the place

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Its in the Twisted Pepper building iirc, which is Middle Abbey st :confused:
    Its the Capel St Side anyway, westsiide *gang symbol*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Kylemore Cafe

Yeah middle abbey st. In the twisted pepper building. Right across the road from arnotts. Tea garden sounds great. I'll have to go find it. Reminds me of a place in the italian quarter, though i think they're turkish. You can smoke a hooka etc. Coffee isn't bad either if you like it in the greek turkish style. Read: tar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Even though its not a café or restaurant, Peter's Pub on the corner of Stephens' St and South William Street, is a great spot for a cuppa and a toastie.
    Its like walking back into pre-cetic tiger Dublin, and its got a good atmosphere if you want to have a good chat without too much background noise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ristorante Romano on Capel Street. Slightly trapped in a time warp and festooned with bicycles and associated memorabilia.
    Possibly the only Italian restaurant in Europe with almost exclusively Filipino staff.
    Great pasta and great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Would recommend gruel on Dame Street also - good deal on a soup and half sandwich for around the 5/6e mark but great food and will fill you up!

Also a few others -

Cafe Irie (sp?) on Crowne Alley in Temple Bar, it's on the same side as Eamon Doran's above a shop. Small, the decoration & furniture is quirky, decent music on the background and food is good and reasonably cheap. (same goes for the one on Thomas Street!)

There's a newish place on Castle Street called Toffolis. Looks good, pass by it twice a day. Haven't eaten in yet but have bought their homemade bread and it's great. It's Italian so mainly pastas and pizzas on the menu iirc pizzas are around under the tenner mark. Definetly fits the quirky bill as theres only seating for 10 or 12 or so and just a counter top seperating the seats and kitchen. One of the guys was chatting away to the customers while working in the kitchen the last time I was in getting bread.

Have read up on the 3FE - looks great, will definetly have to check out that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

all the above sound a little boring (no offence)
    Is there anywhere that is completly mental not just just "is small and has good food)?
    Somewhere that serves weird stuff like kangaroo or maggots etc
    Or somewhere that you can eat food off naked ladies or maybe the place is an actual crypt or something strange.
    I don't imagine Dublin has anything truely strange (i dont know of anywhere) but no harm in asking.

Yeah im really bored tonight

adamski8 wrote: »
    all the above sound a little boring (no offence)
    Is there anywhere that is completly mental not just just "is small and has good food)?
    Somewhere that serves weird stuff like kangaroo or maggots etc
    Or somewhere that you can eat food off naked ladies or maybe the place is an actual crypt or something strange.
    I don't imagine Dublin has anything truely strange (i dont know of anywhere) but no harm in asking.

Yeah im really bored tonight
    1) There's a kangaroo farm in Wexford right? I bet all the pubs serve it as lamb shanks or something!

2) There's the Church... Not a crypt though. Pretty sure there are some massage parlours that'd let you bring a McD's with you to eat off eh, one of their masseurs. :) Most people have other substances in mind, usually nasally consumed. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Try the bernard shaw they have a double decker bus in the back that is a pizza resturant, pizza slice and a pint 10E

Hell on Camden st is pretty cool and the little cafe which is where this is not a shop gallery used to be is amazing, decks in the front room and all.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Yeah the big blue bus in the Bernard Shaw does really great pizza, good price too. More here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

DigiGal wrote: »
    Try the bernard shaw they have a double decker bus in the back that is a pizza resturant, pizza slice and a pint 10E

Hell on Camden st is pretty cool and the little cafe which is where this is not a shop gallery used to be is amazing, decks in the front room and all.
    Now thats something I was wanting. Will defo go check this out.
    Its says its a pizza and and pint for a tener not just a slice (hope thats the case anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I love Queen of Tarts on Cow's Lane. Really quaint little place.

Cake Cafe on Pleasant Street is really cute too.

Joy of Chai in Temple bar either.

And someone else aleready posted it but Cafe Irie, also in Temple Bar, is another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

cosmic wrote: »

And someone else aleready posted it but Cafe Irie, also in Temple Bar, is another good one.
    I'd hope people wouldn't give them business given the way they treated a worker:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055432229&referrerid=59211

Advertisement