Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiring a firewood processor

• 06-03-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there's someone who hires out a decent firewood processing machine? I have quite a lot of timber (10 to 20cm diameter, 3 to 5m lengths) that I'd like to cut into short lengths, but probably not enough to justify buying a machine. I could spend a couple of weeks with a chainsaw, but I'd prefer to spend a couple of days with a machine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

There's a few different people out there selling saw horses. You can stack a couple of logs on the horse, hold them in place with the spring tensioned chain thats on it and saw through them very quickly with your chainsaw. I bought one for 180 euro. Its great for any logs that are less than a foot in diameter. You will get through a lot of logs in a short time. I sawed a years worth of timber last saturday (about 20 cubic meters). It was really handy and a great investment for me. You will saw logs at least 5 times faster than if you were sawing them on the ground as the saw will cut through a few at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Thanks for that - sounds a good idea. Anything that cuts down on the time involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ipod

hi put in a add in the farmers journal.i was looking in the farmers journal last year when i seen someone wanthing to hire a processor.i have a processor so i rang him back i got the job two weeks work i got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

i took this photo at the tullamore show last year, they should not be too far away fom you. worth giving them a call

Image019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I use a hatchet. It takes more effort than a chainsaw but it is healthier i guess. The axe is alot faster than a chainsaw once you get good at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

I use a hatchet. It takes more effort than a chainsaw but it is healthier i guess. The axe is alot faster than a chainsaw once you get good at it.

I think that you will find the chainsaw much more efficient if the chain is sharp and the saw is switched on. A tell tail sign that it is on would be the loud noise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

hammer73 wrote: »
    i took this photo at the tullamore show last year, they should not be too far away fom you. worth giving them a call

Image019.jpg

That's great thanks - I went to look at those Posch machines. THey seem very good, but very expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a friend that uses a Posch, good but parts backup is slow and not very reliable.
    He likes the machine but the agents here are not great.
    M. Large in the North are good for equipment as well.

Advertisement