Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nautical Star Tattoo

Options
  • 06-03-2010 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

So I'm getting a nautical star tattoo next week, it's like Paolo Nutini's one the 3 stars wrapping around his arm (his are lone stars of Texas) but they are very similar to nautical stars. I'm just getting one now and I'm gonna get 3 more going around my arm at a later stage, so I'll end up with 4 going fully around my arm. I went to a few places and most said one would cost 80 euro ! which i think is expensive. So I'm going to wildcat in Stephens's Green, a few of my friends went there and they do good work. I was just wondering what people thought of the tattoo (I'll post pictures below) and if they know anywhere that will do it cheaper as i think 80 euro is quite expensive for one small nautical star. Thanks in advance

Paolo_Nutini_2.jpg

49103.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just be aware that it is a very very common tattoo, so unless you're planning on doing something special with them, then there are going to be a lot of others out there with nautical stars on/around their wrists.

The €80 cost is because there is a minimum charge for getting a tattoo done, that is usually equal to the cost for an hour.

That, plus you do get what you pay for most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lufcfan

oh i see, so it doesn't matter what it is 80 is a minim charge ? so maybe ill get 2 now just to get value for money then 2 more at a later stage. Yes i know it's a common tattoo but I'm getting it for its meaning not just cause its popular like other people, thank for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

lufcfan wrote: »
    Yes i know it's a common tattoo but I'm getting it for its meaning not just cause its popular like other people,

The only thing more common than stars in tattooing is this phrase. Do you think that "other people" walk into tattoo parlours and ask for a popular tattoo? almost every single person who want stars has bolted on some completely unrelated meaning, either that it some how represents their family/a dead relative/themselves etc.

These people just like the way stars look, and want a tattoo of them. which is fine. but just like in your post, a lot of people look down on others for not having a symbolic meaning tied in. And so everyone tacks on a meaning and it goes round and round like this.

Miami Ink has a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

I have two nautical star tattoos on my chest. Red and black. I did have a reason to get them. I work as at sea as a navigator and the original stars came from sailors who got them to represent stars used for astro navigation. Two stars are used to get a transit / position line and fix. Although we use mainly GPS now a days it does symbolize what i do for a living.

So ram them up your arse Bodice Ripper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I have two nautical star tattoos on my chest. Red and black. I did have a reason to get them. I work as at sea as a navigator and the original stars came from sailors who got them to represent stars used for astro navigation. Two stars are used to get a transit / position line and fix. Although we use mainly GPS now a days it does symbolize what i do for a living.

harsh!!! The point bodice ripper made wasn't about you or anyone as an individual, it was about the obsession some people have with giving meaning to their tattoos, as a justification for getting it.

Also quite bizarre is the way some people who feel they have meaning behind their tattoos look down on someone else who gets a tattoo just cos they like it, or even, shock horror, cos it's fashionable.

To each his own and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lufcfan

thank you !! i agree i heard about that meaning it symbolized sailors finding their way home i.e. the north star but it also can mean finding you way through life (which is my reason). Cheers for the help

Warning infraction issued, there was no need for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

and you can guess where you can put your infraction.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

>.<

Banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

hmmm one thing ive noticed, not just on this forum but on most is that anytime sum1 asks a simple question such as what do u tink of this or that or whatever ppl get very agro..i dont understand it, your asked for a simple i think its good or i dont....as for having tattoos with meaning or just because ya like em...why does there have 2 be any looking down on...if i buy a piece of art that i see sumwhere i buy it because i like it and want it...the same holds for tattoos...no1 should be looked down on just cos oh der tattoo holds no meaning or oh why would you get 1 if it didnt mean anything...getting a tat cos u simply like it or gettin a tattoo for some personal reason are both valid reasons for wanting a piece of body art...

as for the nautical stars...they look reallly nice...it doesnt matter how many ppl or wot ppl have them...as long as u want them and like them dats all dat matters....its like clothes...every1 wears them differently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I didn't get argo. I objected to the implication that people who get tattoos because they like the way they look - as opposed to loading symbolism on them - were somehow in the wrong or getting them for shallow reasons.

And tender hoop, darling, I HAVE nautical stars.

I am allowed to have opinions beyond "yo man, your tattoo idea is gonna be some sick ink".

Getting a tattoo simply because you like the look of it is perfectly normal and there's nothing whatsoever wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Miami Ink has a lot to answer for.

Haha thats kind of true. I'd aggree that there's nothing wrong with getting tattoos without 'meaning' behind them. Getting a tattoo to decorate yourself is a lovely thing to do. It doesn't mater if loads of people have a nautical star. I got a tattoo of my favourite band on my forearm and that has a meaning behind it for me. But at the same time, hundreds of other people around the world will no doubt have the same tattoo so i guess it works both ways.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Don't worry about the tattoo being common, if you like it, get it:)
    Just to clarify on my first statement:
    Just be aware that it is a very very common tattoo, so unless you're planning on doing something special with them, then there are going to be a lot of others out there with nautical stars on/around their wrists.
    I'm not saying that the OP shouldn't get the tattoo, just if it's a first tattoo, then they may not be aware of how popular or common the tattoo is, and think it reasonably unique, and thus become a little disillusioned with it when they found out that it is something that is very common. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it though, and if the person wants the tattoo and likes the design then they should get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 087sativa

its very scenekid, so unless your a sailor,in the navy,lost loved one was involved in the former,theres no real meaning to it

which is fine,there doesnt have to be,dont get me wrong man go for it!

Advertisement