Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Windows 7 install. Nelp needed!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭dun79

Yes use the external enclosure and format to NTFS

in your manual and goto chapter 2-6 Integrated Peripherals
    goto that screen in your bois

in the bios what are the settings for

PCH SATA Control Mode == ??

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode == ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭The Oggmonster

I put the new hard drive into this pc with my other one and it's not showing up in my computer or device manager.

I'll try with the external enclosure but that doesn't sound good does it?

Edit: I think I have the 2nd hard drive turned off in BIOS.

Windows 7 installed on that other drive. Thanks a lot for your help. You're a legend!! I'm sorry for taking up all your Saturday morning/afternoon.

no that doesn't sound good. where did you get the drive from.

thats ok im not doing anything today.

when you try the external enclosure if it dosen't comeup, right click on computer in the start menu and goto manage, then goto disk management.
    if the drive is there right click on it and create a partition.

I did have it turned off in bios. It is showing up now but there's no info on it. The file system is RAW. I'm sure when I reformat it everything should work out ok.

I thought all drives were pre-formatted when you buy them. I could've saved a lot of hassle if I did this first. icon_redface.gif

I'll know for next time icon_lol.gif

• Advertisement

Edit:When I reformat do I need to create a partition or will Windows do it when it's installing?

I meant to edit there, not quote

in windows right click on computer in the start menu and goto manage, then goto disk management.
    the drive will be unallocated right click on it and create a new partition.

There isn't an option to create a new partition. Just this:

2rzyj9g.jpg

Will I just format as NTFS? If I was doing a partition, how big would the partition need to be for Windows Home Premium 7 64bit?

Ok the partition is there format NTFS, give windows about 100gb

you can format the full drive as one partition if you want

I fecked up with my drive there but have it formatting now.

I won't have a chance to install Windows today but I reckon it'll work now. The fact it was unformatted must have been the problem. I'm just surprised Windows 7 couldn't format as it installed. XP could do it (Although I don't know if I ever tried it with a RAW drive).

Again, I'd like to thank you for your help. I'll post again tomorrow to let you know if it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Without too much hacking, you can install win7 from a memory stick / external hd*. Google it, lot of blogs have detailed instructions.

* Provided you have a second pc to throw the stuff from win7 install dvd to a memory stick.

Hi slowlydownwards

you must have only read the first post.

nobody asked about installing from a usb key

he had a problem with a hard drive not the cd drive.

Hey, dun79, I'm posting this from my new pc with Windows 7 installed :-)

The problem was that the new drive wasn't formatted. I used my old pc to format it and it installed no problem.

God knows what I would have done if I didn't have another pc.

Thanks for all your help trying to get it sorted.

Hi Oggmonster

good to hear it worked out for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

It seems you've solved the problem.

Just note the following:

- There is no F6 command when installing Windows Vista or 7, that was for XP. Windows Vista and 7 have default AHCI drivers, but do allow you to install your own in a sub-section of the OS installation drive selection. You can use a USB key or take it from the hard drive, or indeed a floppy drive (unlike with XP, you have a choice). The default drivers normally suffice for the purpose of the installation, though.

- You should run your SATA drives in ACHI mode and not in IDE, or run them in RAID, if applicable. This is selectable from within the BIOS. Some el cheapo OEM motherboards don't have ACHI mode, but any half decent one should.

Advertisement