Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does medical history follow a microchipped cat?

Options
  • 06-03-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've moved to a different part of the country and wonder if any new vet that I bring my cats to, will be automatically able to see my cats' medical history by calling up his microchip number? Or do I need to contact my previous vet and ask for medical history to be forwarded to new vet?

Any ideas would be appreciated?

Salsagal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

A microchip number has no relevence to vet history of any animal.

A microchip really is only useful if the animal gets lost and is found, so the owner can be traced.

So you would need to contact your vet to get the cats history if you want to give the info to another vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭salsagal

Hey Andreac

Thanks for the fast reply on that! I was kinda thinking that, but its good to have it confirmed.

cheers,

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If the chip info. hasn't been changed yet the cats previous vets details should be on it so by following that up you might find out something although not sure if vets generally give out medical info. from previous owners.

Personally I think it would be a good idea for owners to be able to put their pets medical info. well at least if the animal was on medication or diabetic etc.

Advertisement