Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Feedback thread...

Options
  • 06-03-2010 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Right here it is!.

I ran one of these in the Martial Arts & Self Defence forum and some pretty good suggestions came back and changed the direction that forum was taking, for the better.

So I just thought I'd throw it open here to you guys.

Any comments good, bad or indifferent are welcome.

You can even take a shot at the Moderators, but stick according to the rules - I know I'm an asshole with gargle on me, but the rules here say you can't call me an asshole :P

So, is there too many stickies, other topics you'd like to see made a stickie?.

Are you happy with how the forum is moderated, or would additional Mods or even a total change of Mod be something you'd welcome?.

The direction the forum takes is largely down to you guys, personally I find this forum great to moderate as there's very little work involved - thank you :D

So there ya go guys, get it off your chest. But remember this isn't After Hours so try be a little respectful to other's opinions and put your level head on for the next few days.

-M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

My feedback:

No more ''anyone seen that mad man in town'' type threads.

Dublin has a lot of charecters but they are also private people, some of them obviously ill, mentally etc. Im as guilty as anyone for adding to such threads. Maybe a sticky if they must be discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dancor wrote: »
    My feedback:

No more ''anyone seen that mad man in town'' type threads.

Dublin has a lot of charecters but they are also private people, some of them obviously ill, mentally etc. Im as guilty as anyone for adding to such threads. Maybe a sticky if they must be discussed.

I actually watch those threads carefully as we've catered for such things in the forum's charter, but I can reenforce that rule and make people more aware of it.

The other thing is people generally have very hard and fast opinions on junkies/addicts whatever you want to call them. Personally I don't see these people as part of Dublin 'character's so I don't feel the need to protect them under the same rule.

But I take your point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Maybe a sticky of "what do in Dublin" with links, directions, recommendations, prices of places of interest in the city.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

OP reminds me of someone who used to post around here awhile back. Just cant put my finger on it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There are an awful lot of "Good restaurant?" threads, I don't really know what would work, maybe a Dublin thread regulars list of favorites?

Maybe one for "Cheap or free things to do in Dublin"

Otherwise it's a very helpful, informative, friendly place to be. One of the friendliest forums on Boards.ie in my opinion. Very rarely does someone ask something without getting an answer, be it directions, advice on an area or pub/restaurant advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Things disappear in stickyland and whilst the "best restaurant", "cheapest pint" or "things to wool the kids too" may be repetitive at least it keeps it current, flowing, new to the poster and it would be an unmerciful pain in the hole for the mods to be sweeping each of those threads into one big heap. It would also be a bit of a let-downer for the poster and in its way...less informative because we all think we know best. Stuff changes though and so do recommendations, and so they should. I'd move against more stickies and even if the "where, how and when" threads are repetitive at least they are up to date and honed to the poster's personal desires.

I can't abide the "chopper in Finglas!! what's going on?!!", "loads of cops on Westmoreland St.!! What's going on?!!", " I'm lazy but equally I'm nosey and even more equally I'm impatient and would rather read some half arsed notion of unravelling events! What's going ON!!!". The "Good God I'm curious!! The worlds not all immediate enough for me...GOOD GOD I'M CURIOUS!!! HELP ME KNOW NOW!! POLICE CHOPPERS!!...WHAT'S GOING ON!!!" pre news threads, knock them on the head. They're packed full of arse.

OP reminds me of someone who used to post around here awhile back. Just cant put my finger on it ;)

Why don't you try put your finger on it instead of a stupid winkie emoticon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Why don't you try put your finger on it instead of a stupid winkie emoticon.
    Only having a bit of fun with you. Anyway your looking for feedback so will give you some. As a dubliner would like to hear more about the things that affect dubliners. Maybe a bit of history thrown in as well. Seriously when i read your post i had no idea you were a mod. Take yourself more seriously man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

As a dubliner would like to hear more about the things that affect dubliners. Maybe a bit of history thrown in as well.

Then start threads about the subjects, if people are interested too, they will post in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

humberklog wrote: »
    Things disappear in stickyland and whilst the "best restaurant", "cheapest pint" or "things to wool the kids too" may be repetitive at least it keeps it current, flowing, new to the poster and it would be an unmerciful pain in the hole for the mods to be sweeping each of those threads into one big heap. It would also be a bit of a let-downer for the poster and in its way...less informative because we all think we know best.

Yep, yes and yeah.
    humberklog wrote: »
    Stuff changes though and so do recommendations, and so they should

I withdraw my plea your honour!!

Thanks dude, makes lots of sense.

• Advertisement

Well this has been easy so far, when I done a similar thread in the Martial Arts forum it turned into a free for all, but we've a few delicate ego's over there!.

I'm guessing the forum is running pretty smooth so.

I went through the charter today and there's nothing really worth updating, its simple and straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

On the "characters in town" bit I don't think they should be discussed at all

Don't really think there is much of a benefit in discussing these people even as "characters" - while some may say that they have somewhat given up their privacy by acting unusually, I find it a bit distasteful, that there are permanent records of people speculating idly about them on the internet, just because they behave in a slightly unortodox way to the general populace. I don't like and I think it should be discouraged.

Also the what's going on threads full of speculation are generally pretty poor quality stuff.

Overall I do get the feeling that forum probably isn't as busy as it could be.
    Might be wrong on this but given the amount of people in Dublin City I feel the place should probably be more active. Although I think this is a general issue with all the region sub-forums ??? Maybe might be worth while promoting the region sub-forums boards-wide, possibly by Daragh annoucement?

On the "characters in town" bit I don't think they should be discussed at all

Don't really think there is much of a benefit in discussing these people even as "characters" - while some may say that they have somewhat given up their privacy by acting unusually, I find it a bit distasteful, that there are permanent records of people speculating idly about them on the internet, just because they behave in a slightly unortodox way to the general populace. I don't like and I think it should be discouraged.

I can see where your coming from with this, however I think we've taken a sympathetic line in the forum's CHARTER in relation to these people.

I really rely on people using a little cop on when posting here, there was a time when this forum was heavily moderated and many found it infuriating that we couldn't discuss the pro's & con's of living in certain area's (as an example), I don't want a return to that & I doubt long time user's of this forum do either.

But keep 'em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Some valid points above. I agree with just letting the forum flow rather than having stickies. If someone has a question they should be able to post a thread and what usually happens is they get their answer and the thread rolls off the first page. A sticky for best restaurant/pub/directions etc. would just gather dust IMO. I think the forum works, especially since we got rid of those awful "What part of Dublin is worst?" type threads. The "What's going on with chopper, etc..." threads are quite annoying too but tend to roll off the first page again and sometimes entertaining to hear the wild theories so probably an over-reaction to ban them

So guys, would I be right in assuming there are out real outstanding issue's in the forum and everyone is more or less happy?.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This forum is a hell of a lot better than it used to be, the photographic threads are things of beauty and a joy to behold

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

So guys, would I be right in assuming there are out real outstanding issue's in the forum and everyone is more or less happy?.

I wouldn't come to that conclusion just yet as only a few people have responded, and it tends imo to be a bit quieter around here at the weekend. Give it another week or so with the occasional bump if needed and you will get more feedback. (and maybe even the mayhem you half expected! ;))

Having said that, I've personally no issues with this forum or its content.
    I love the historic thread and the picture game threads in particular.

I agree with the poster above about those stooopid 'OMG there's a police car tearing down my road, anyone see? Whats going on?' threads. I hate them!

Moderation is firm but fair and consistent and you cant ask for better than that.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Having said that, I've personally no issues with this forum or its content.
    I love the historic thread and the picture game threads in particular.

I agree with the poster above about those stooopid 'OMG there's a police car tearing down my road, anyone see? Whats going on?' threads. I hate them!

Moderation is firm but fair and consistent and you cant ask for better than that.

Cheer's, thanks for all that.

The "OMG there's a dog chasing a cat up a tree in Dublin 7" threads can be a little silly, but they're doing no real harm. On a serious point, I've deleted one of two which mentioned armed garda checkpoint locations & timings - so I'd ask people just to think twice before posting those, we'd like to stay on the friendly side of our buddies over in the Emergency Services Forum [ya thats me licking ass] :P

As regards the moderation, well I'm of the attitude that as light a touch as possible is the right way for this forum. Sometimes I feel thats taken advantage of, so I keep Des in reserve for the nasty stuff - he's our cage fighter for when dirty deeds need doing :cool:

Other than that, I've said it before - 'thank you all', its a forum thats a pleasure to moderate (because you give me no work).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

After the success of our Dublin Forum beers i'd like to see more occasional piss-ups organised..people can choose a pub they like..stick up the notification and hopefully people will show up have a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

How about a 'What's on in Dublin this month/week' thread? I can never find anything inspiring on the internet when I get the urge to go out on Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Degsy wrote: »
    After the success of our Dublin Forum beers i'd like to see more occasional piss-ups organised..people can choose a pub they like..stick up the notification and hopefully people will show up have a good laugh.
    Well then, organise more beers.
    WindSock wrote: »
    How about a 'What's on in Dublin this month/week' thread? I can never find anything inspiring on the internet when I get the urge to go out on Sundays.

You bleedin amateur, all you haver to do is google the date like Mary did. :rolleyes::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Des wrote: »
    Well then, organise more beers.

Okay then i will...

Venues people?

I was thinking sometime around 20th of April but lets see what everybody thinks.

Northern Ireland Open (Judo).

I really have to give up this fighting malarky and get out more :P

But hey, lets stick with the forum feedback guys.

Des wrote: »

You bleedin amateur, all you haver to do is google the date like Mary did. :rolleyes::pac:

:confused: who tf is Mary?
    Righto..i've been bullied into throwing this out there...anybody got any good suggestions for dates and venues?
    I was thinking sometime around 20th of April but lets see what everybody thinks.

Are we going to do this Glasnevin Cemetary thing? Then go to Gravediggers.

Edit: Sorry Maki.

That might be a good idea, it could be made a stickie.

However I'd envisage letting it run the same as we do in the Martial Arts forum, ie someone can register solely to plug their event once its in the interest of the forum.

However we're a pretty tight knit community over there, we'd know most if not all of the reputable (and not so) promotors & clubs so it isn't a hassle but I'd imagine the same idea would not sit too comfortably with Des and the other Mods here - maybe Des might have some view's on that, personally I'm 50/50 on it.

:confused: who tf is Mary?

*Penny drops*

Ohhhh. That Mary :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

*Penny drops*

Ohhhh. That Mary :pac:

Slow clap for you Windsock :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I'm really happy with the Dublin forum. I've never asked a question without getting a prompt and helpful reply and I try to do the same myself - it feels quite like a community alright. I find it's well monitored so that there's no bad feeling or pettiness between posters. All in all, a thumbs up from me.

Dancor wrote: »
    Slow clap for you Windsock :pac:

I don't want the clap at any speed, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement