Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Broadband Problem

• 06-03-2010 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi new poster - hope this is in the right place

We've had Eircom broadband now for a couple of years with no problem at first but in the last year the thing has been driving us insane.

We've had 1901 fault reports in, BB support and still the same issue. What is happening is when ye turn the router on it refuses to pick up the dsl. Its the new eircom router by zyxel[sp?] we had the same issue with the old netopia and also with a generic smc router so I would say it's not the router at fault.

To get the connection to work [after a load of fiddling with wires, connections, replacing main sockets etc etc etc] I've found that if I ring the house phone from my mobile, get the good lady to answer it and mutter away like a prat for a couple of seconds then hang up - low and behold the BB connects.

Sometimes it will stay stable for a while - other times it will be on and off like a yo-yo on over time!

Router/s tried: the new zyxel, standard netopia, smc barricade
    house phone: one of those eircom walk around yokes [model is an eircom 5010 by siemens]

have tried connecting the router direct to socket [which defeats the object of BB really], changed filters [I have 10 spares at least] , called support and 1901 fault report till we're near enough on first name terms with the whole of Eircom support by this stage!

it'll settle down for a few days and then start again yet soon as i dial the house phone - it will get the connection ....

anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem? i know a bit about computers and networks but this has me totally beat...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As a matter of interest what are your line stats? it sounds like some sort of shorting is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 watsan

finally managed to get the connection stable again :mad:

details from connection status

eircom Broadband: Connected

DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 1760 kbps /256 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 63 dB /31 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6 dB /12 dB
    WAN IP Address: 86.45.xxx.xx
    Default Gateway: 159.134.155.xx
    First DNS: 213.94.190.194(dns1.cwm.dublin.eircom.net)
    Secondary DNS:213.94.190.236(dns2.cra.dublin.eircom.net)
    Tertiary DNS:0.0.0.0

I did find a site some time back that showed how to do an actual test to see what the line was capable of. Result of that test was 3.6mbs - so it should be easily handling a 3mb connection.

BTW I had to call the house number and then call out from the house phone to my mobile to get it to connect this time [again]...

Your 'idea' of a short supports my own theory - it's what I've been thinking for some months now - its all I can think of now to explain the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

PogMoThoin wrote: »

yep done all that - different router/modems filtered/no filter [which defeats the object of BB] called BB support numerous times/1901 line fault and still the same issue....

when we first got BB near 3+ years ago it was grand - 2mb connection and no problems at all - except the usual one where we could listen in on our neighbours phone conversations [which is still an ongoing problem - though not as bad as it used to be]..

over the last year-18mnths its just steadily got worse and worse to teh point where the only way I can get the damn thing to connect is to make a phone call either to the mobile or from the mobile. after that it connects and is stable for an hour or so and then the whole rig ma role again....

it is seriously getting annoying at this stage....

Your line stats are pretty disastrous - something serious must have happened to your line at some stage - the attenuation is way way too high and the snr is far too low.

How far are you from the exchange?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Advertisement

yeah was looking at kitz earlier - they are kinda bad alright.

Just checked the distance from exchange on the way home 3.8miles which while not the best distance to be obviously still doesn't explain why I need to make a phone call to get the thing to connect.

Far as I'm aware the exchange is adsl2+ enabled [it handles upto 7mb connections as I know folk who have that speed]...

thansk much for the replies btw much appreciated..:)

What's your internal wiring like?

dub45 wrote: »
    What's your internal wiring like?

That much I can definitely vouch as to being 100% ok as i did it myself and I'm kinda fastidious at making sure its done right. To make sure though I replaced all the RJ 45 connections lately, put in a new RJ11 cable for the router, double checked the main socket and still the same problem.

Again, this morning? Switched on router - doing its usual thing - not connecting. Ring the house phone from the mobile and within 10-15seconds the DSL light is on. Sometimes its the other way around, have to ring the mobile from the house phone to get it to connect...

Advertisement