Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norris for president

Options
  • 06-03-2010 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Heard David Norris on Marian this morning, announcing his desire to run for president. I think he would be brilliant and major breath of fresh air. He mentioned a website, norris for president, but I couldnt find it.

I did find this though,

http://www.petitiononline.com/dn4p2011/petition.html

What do people think of David Norris for president?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I hope he gets it. As you said a breath of fresh air. As the post is largely ceremonial, and any referring the President has to do is usually on the basis of Attorney General advice ,I think someone like Norris would be the perfect candidate.

One of the few people who can claim to have done something for the moral integrity of this country in helping to break down homophobic barriers, he would be the ideal candidate for the first presidential vote of the 21st century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

The position itself, of president, given that it is such a worthless position in this country, should just be done away with altogether. It's a complete waste of money and resources and is pretty much pointless.
    I see no reason to keep the position intact, maybe someone else can enlighten us as to the point of it all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I agree it's essentially worthless, and it's few powers are mostly window dressing but fact is the post exists for the present, and I for one think somebody like Norris is the perfect candidate.

It's function is broadly to represent the country in a non political party based way, governments may come and go after a few months or years, the president stays. A lot of countries have a president in a role with very little real power (Germany, Italy), the role is usually representative.

At the very least I think the astronomical wages of the president in this country should be cut drastically, along with most of its security arrangements, and other expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

A good choice indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I can't think of a better man for the job, but the Irish would never vote for a man with an upper-class British accent to be President.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

stvincent wrote: »
    Heard David Norris on Marian this morning, announcing his desire to run for president. I think he would be brilliant and major breath of fresh air. He mentioned a website, norris for president, but I couldnt find it.

I did find this though,

http://www.petitiononline.com/dn4p2011/petition.html

What do people think of David Norris for president?
    He's got my vote, having David Norris for President would be great. :)

I can't think of a better man for the job, but the Irish would never vote for a man with an upper-class British accent to be President.
    Isn't he Congolese ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I signed the petition. He would be a great President.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

They voted for Erskine Childers back in 1973 who had a very upper class British accent, Norris would certainly add some light relief from the economic difficulties facing Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'd vote for him.

And (AH style answer) Ireland would have a Queen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

He should be sent up the Aras as soon as possible.

I couldn't think of a more intelligent, articulate and honest person to become president.

Now all he has to do is change his given name to 'Mary' by deed-poll and he'll be a shoo-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He would definitely get my vote. Especially if the right "honourable" representative for the Drumcondra Mafia is running as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 stvincent

Yes, abba ... Anything But Bertie Again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

sorry just cant stand listening to him (although if the alternative was bertie.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Sailing very close to double entendre territory there.

I used to like him more before he got that Newstalk gig. His voice is beginning to grate tbh.
    Still, of all of the mooted candidates, he's my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Economics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I think he's the perfect anti Bertie candidate!

I have not the foggiest what he stands for or against, but I reckon it'd be interesting viewing.

TBH the President is more or less a super ambassador for the country and David Norris would be perfect in that role, he is a very intelligent and articulate man. I would be proud to have him as our President.

(now contrast that with the Master of Disaster from Drumcondra....)

deadtiger wrote: »
    (now contrast that with the Master of Disaster from Drumcondra....)
    Oh, and who would that be then ?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Oh, and who would that be then ?

I'll write his name on the back of a brown envelope for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

We've had two women as president of Ireland. Why not a third?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I can't stand him, just.. annoying to the ear. Too bloody right on.

Having said that, it is quite probable that I'd vote for him to offset some of the other likely so and so's that will put their name into the hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Rookster wrote: »
    We've had two women as president of Ireland. Why not a third?:D

How astonishingly un-funny this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

If the two viable candidates are Norris or Bertie, I cant see myself voting for Bertie...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Yes i would vote for him , i think Senator Shane Ross would also be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

No wouldn't vote for him, he is too annoying and hyper.
    Granted better than Bertie, but then again good old George Hook has said if Bertie even attempts to run as a dog catcher he will run against him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

They had no problem voting Erskine Childers Jnr?(well, he was Iirsh Born , up was brought up in the world, but certainly a good ffer)

Norris would shame the small minded, he mum was Irish and he can speak Irish

Could you say he was upper classs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I couldn't think of a more intelligent, articulate and honest person to become president.

Now all he has to do is change his given name to 'Mary' by deed-poll and he'll be a shoo-in.

He'd like that. :o

Yes i would vote for him , i think Senator Shane Ross would also be good.
    Shane, is that you ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tellmewhy

I dont think he would get the gig there are too many like me who not not vote for him as president because of his sexuality!

Advertisement