Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norris for president

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

tellmewhy wrote: »
    I dont think he would get the gig there are too many like me who not not vote for him as president because of his sexuality!

And would you vote for Bertie then?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 maccy

I dont think he would get the gig there are too many like me who not not vote for him as president because of his sexuality!
    Come back when you come up with a half decent reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

tellmewhy
    So given the double negative you will vote for someone because of there sexuality? That is an odd reason to vote for someone.

I would vote for him because he is fun, smart and honest. Hes fairly lefty which I am not but I see the president as a figurehead so it is more about style and vision than policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

When I saw the title I thought Chuck Norris was running for president. Really disappointed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

He seems like an OK guy but his voice goes through me......"upper-class camp" is the only description that seems to fit, and I have to switch off any time I hear him.

EDIT : Having said that, if it comes down to himself and Ahern, I'll be out campaigning for Norris......someone's voice doesn't make them despicable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I think he has many good qualities. He is articulate and makes a lot of sense most of the time. He needs to tone down his act though, and perhaps calm down also.
    I can't think of a better man for the job, but the Irish would never vote for a man with an upper-class British accent to be President.

Ahem!...That is NOT an 'upper-class British accent', or any other type of British accent. It is a pretentious attempt at what he thinks is one :rolleyes:!

Yes, I'd vote for Bertie - as president of a remote desert island, as far away as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Is he a member of Labour?

Who else is likely to run?

Michael D. Higgins?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Norris is an annoying twat at the best of times with that forced accent; can you imagine giving him some power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tellmewhy

maccy wrote: »
    Come back when you come up with a half decent reason.

Well you know this is Ireland not Norway not sweden we have a very conservative electorate and wheter you like it or not his sexuality in a presedential race would be a significant issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

comeraghs wrote: »

No

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I think he is a great choice and I sure would vote for him.

It would show Ireland as a modern inclusive society ( even if its not ) and show we are ready and able to throw off the shackles of our oppressors ( the RC church ) to move forward as a better nation.

I think I could be convinced to campaign for the chap I'm that pro Norris. ( As long as I don;t have to listen to him mind ! ) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

comeraghs wrote: »
    He's independant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

One thing I have a big problem with Norris being president is the fact he wants us to rejoin the commonwealth.Should an Irish head of state be of such an opinion?It surely wouldn't go down well with the electorate, definitely didn't with me when I first heard it.Also, I don't think we should have a pro-commonwealth president for the 2016 commeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Not going to happen sadly. He won't be able to get nominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JohnWhale

walshb wrote: »
    Norris is an annoying twat at the best of times with that forced accent; can you imagine giving him some power?

I think the position of president would give him less power than he currently has as a senator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Yeah the President have effectively no power. Effectively an extension of Bord Failte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I am sure that Bertie Ahern has his eye on that job, promised already. He needs to set up his tent in the park now that it is no longer at he Galway races.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I think FF will go with Brian Crowley over Bertie.

Michael D would be Labours candidate for sure, maybe Dick Spring.

Fine Gael have no heavyweights to run IMO, maybe Garrett Fitzgerald.

Independents would be Norris obviously maybe Dana (shudders).

Could be an interesting election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

He is aleady a useless senator and a columist... Feck it pay him a few more million for president.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

You're the reason we can't have nice things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

After establishing that the presidents job is a HR job (i.e. a female occupation) then electing Norris as president is akin to our attitude to the eurovision - after winning so many times we send in Dustin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I am sure that Bertie Ahern has his eye on that job, promised already.

Who promised him the job? He would have the small matter of winning a presidential election to overcome first.

In the current anti-FF climate it is very unlikely.

My own thoughts on possible nominations:

FF: Brigit Laffen of UCD or Brain Crowley
    FG: Alan Dukes
    Lab: David Norris or Ivana Batchik
    Socalist/Left Wing Alliance: Mannix Flynn
    Independents: Declan Ganley

Having said all of that 2 year out from the last presidential contest no one could have suspected Mary McAllesse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Other than him having a horribly annoying accent (one that actually really does hurt my ears) and being over-hyperactively camp - is there any actual real valid reason people want to see David "I'm the only gay in the village" Norris as president ?
    What exactly, if anything at all, has he ever done for Ireland ?
    I can't even bare to listen to his voice and it seems any public chance to openly display his homosexuality, he's there, in all his campness - as if people would ever think he was anything other than a homosexual. I mean really ffs, you're gay, great, big deal, let's move on now already, nobody cares.

I really am confused as to why people are calling for him to be president.

Is it just because he's gay and this is all just about voting a homosexual in for president ?
    That is the only reason I can see for this petition and lobbying on his behalf and I'm far from alone in that belief so if that is true and there is no other accumen as to which he is being lobbied to be president on then his supporters will have a hell of a time convincing the rest of the country (if it is even put to a democratic vote this time) to vote him as president, just because he's gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Nehaxak wrote: »
    I mean really ffs, you're gay, great, big deal, let's move on now already, nobody cares.

Well maybe you do. Your post has mentioned his gayness, campness and homosexuality 9 times in 6 sentences. Not that I give a fiddlers about who he fancies.

He has used his position to argue against things like the Indonesian occupation of East Timor through to the Invasion of Iraq among others. You know it would be nice to have a little morality in high office for a change.

That is aimed more at the wasters in FF rather than Mary McAleese who is someone I haven't voted for but who has impressed me in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Who promised him the job? He would have the small matter of winning a presidential election to overcome first.

In the current anti-FF climate it is very unlikely.

My own thoughts on possible nominations:

FF: Brigit Laffen of UCD or Brain Crowley
    FG: Alan Dukes
    Lab: David Norris or Ivana Batchik
    Socalist/Left Wing Alliance: Mannix Flynn
    Independents: Declan Ganley

Having said all of that 2 year out from the last presidential contest no one could have suspected Mary McAllesse.

David Norris is not in the Labour party.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

David Norris is not in the Labour party.
    Yes, this is actually getting annoying.

He is not in the Labour party people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Yoda wrote: »
    Troll.

How so exactly ?
    I'd equally ask the same questions in regards Berty Ahern or any of the other candidates mentioned, though in most other cases the reasons for them being put forward and their accumen, however contentious in some cases, would be more clear cut and obvious than otherwise just being put forward because you're gay.

I want an answer from those of you here that support him for president, exactly why or how do you see him as a good president for Ireland ?
    He has used his position to argue against things like the Indonesian occupation of East Timor through to the Invasion of Iraq among others.

Big deal, so have many others and not like he made any difference or impact whatsoever on anything at all you mentioned, here or there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Isn't he Congolese ?

In the same way Richard Dawkins in Kenyan, yes.
    They voted for Erskine Childers back in 1973 who had a very upper class British accent, Norris would certainly add some light relief from the economic difficulties facing Ireland.

I stand happily corrected then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

....... to which he is being lobbied to be president on then his supporters will have a hell of a time convincing the rest of the country (if it is even put to a democratic vote this time) to vote him as president, just because he's gay.

when was the president ever decided on without a vote?

You get elected, then you get the choice of another 7 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I want an answer from those of you here that support him for president, exactly why or how do you see him as a good president for Ireland ?

Big deal, so have many others and not like he made any difference or impact whatsoever on anything at all you mentioned, here or there.

He is almost singlehandedly responsible for decriminalising homosexuality in this country. Remember, up until 1993 it was essentially against the law here. He had to go the whole way to the European Court of Human Rights toi get this seeing that as late as 1988 the Supreme Court thought it was fine for it to be criminalised. Through doing this he helped to drag us morally at least into the late 20th century.

Made homosexuality acceptible, nothing wrong with a public figure stating that they are openly gay, makes it more acceptable to the masses.

I'm not a Joycean but his promotion of Bloomsday has brought a large number of tourists into the country.

Speaks his mind on issues where others prefer to ignore the fact that the issue is in the room.

Personally I would prefer a president who is not attached to any political party, gives them more room to manouver.

Advertisement