Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Roisin a good spot?

Options
  • 06-03-2010 12:50pm

I've been in that place more times than anywhere else in Galway and this morning's the first time I've started to doubt it. I like it because when I walk in, ya'll bump into anyone and everyone and it's good craic in that sense. It's got a good smoking area but is generally too busy.. The music downstairs can be good but can be awful sometimes aswell.

I think my problem with it is the pretentious crowd that frequent it.. Ye all know the type if ye've been there. What happened to jeans, a t-shirt and some regular conversation?

I dunno.. 4 years off going there and it's finally starting to get on my tits. Apart from my friends in it, I don't think it's got much else going for it these days..

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Try massimo's or the blue note maybe? It's an awful big loud cranky place at times the roisin.

I do like Blue Note and Massimos actually... Same owners I believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

All those pretentious people were there 4 years ago as well. Why is it suddenly getting to you?

I prefer the Salthouse and The Bierhaus. :)

[-0-] wrote: »
    All those pretentious people were there 4 years ago as well. Why is it suddenly getting to you?

I don't get as drunk as I did 4 years ago so now I'm starting to notice things. :cool:

Ah I don't know.. I've started going to pubs an awful lot recently and appreciate when people just be themselves. In Roisin, it's a competition to be the funkiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I don't mind the Roisin at all, but then again I don't go there every weekend. Anywhere you go often enough you'll get sick of eventually.

I actually do go to Massimos a good bit and I really am sick of that place. Although I hear they've got a decent music scene back, so that might be something!

Ah geez....the Salthouse? That was actually good craic the few times I've been there, but the owner is a complete lunatic and has put me off ever going back!

• Advertisement

Had one very good night in Salt house with the lads from work.. Havn't been back since though unfortunately.

Massimos need to sort out the music, it wasn't too good on Valentines Day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Has anyone else noticed the Roisin has gotten kinda... weird lately. I'm not sure if somethings changed or if I've just gotten sick of it but either way I haven't really had a good night there since New Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i stopped goin there a few months ago, full of pretentious twats, if only the bierhaus could get a late license, such a relaxed and laidback place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You're getting old Ads by Google, that's all.
    Happens to the best of us.

I await your thread on your love of gardening, a nice cup of tea, and the start times of the next novena.

mikom wrote: »
    You're getting old Ads by Google, that's all.
    Happens to the best of us.

I await your thread on your love of gardening, a nice cup of tea, and the start times of the next novena.

Ah I know I know.. and I really am the best of us. :cool:

• Advertisement

Don't like the Roisin. Full of hippies and too far out of the way if you want to move to a club/different late bar etc.

Front door is my late bar of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I really like it.It is free in,has a good smoking area and often has good music.
    The one time that I didn't like it was when I was staying in nimmos hostel.The noise would keep ye awake till all hours.This was actualy quite late into the night also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I don't get as drunk as I did 4 years ago so now I'm starting to notice things. :cool:

Ah I don't know.. I've started going to pubs an awful lot recently and appreciate when people just be themselves. In Roisin, it's a competition to be the funkiest.

I hear you. Ever since I gave up the sauce I notice LOTS of things in bars/clubs that I didn't notice before hehe.

Think of it this way, at least there is a place for all of the pretentious people to go, which can easily be avoided. :) They have their little pub, next to a strip club which is classy!

I usually avoid the place like the plague unless I see some cute chicks going in while I'm walking past.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's only good when I'm drunk.
    Maybe I'm getting to old for it too, I've seriously considered McAlindens several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

[-0-] wrote: »

Bierhaus+Roisin after FTW, Kebab shop after, what a night:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Magnus wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting to old for it too, I've seriously considered McAlindens several times.

When's your appointment for getting the zimmer-frame measurements? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Don't like the Roisin. Full of hippies and too far out of the way if you want to move to a club/different late bar etc.

Front door is my late bar of choice.

What do you mean hippies? I don't see any hippies in the Roisin Dubh. That word is bandied about too carelessly too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

kraggy wrote: »
    What do you mean hippies? I don't see any hippies in the Roisin Dubh. That word is bandied about too carelessly too often.

True, the term is Wannabe Bohemians!:pac:

Ah we all know what he meant though..

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I think 'Carnival folk' is the more PC name these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement