Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contention ratio question

• 06-03-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Which Eircom broadband package comes with less than 48:1 contention ratio?

I'm on Smart's bitstream at the moment (12Mbit ADSL2+) and I don't experience any contention problems on my exchange,but I'm moving into a new house Monday and might have to go back to Eircom (but I'm staying on the same exchange).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Should be no reason for you not to move your Smart account to the new house providing that it meets all the limitations of the laws of physics in these matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭P1erce

gibbon75 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Which Eircom broadband package comes with less than 48:1 contention ratio?

I'm on Smart's bitstream at the moment (12Mbit ADSL2+) and I don't experience any contention problems on my exchange,but I'm moving into a new house Monday and might have to go back to Eircom (but I'm staying on the same exchange).

The business package only. (yes i called them)

Pierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

P1erce wrote: »
    The business package only. (yes i called them)

Pierce

Thanks Pierce!

Is it possible that Smart's nationwide 12Mbit/24Mbit service is the same as Ericom's business one?Maybe that's why I don't have contention problems?

I've tried to transfer my Smart service to the new house (still 3 month outstanding of the 12 month contract...),but they told me only Eircom could transfer my line.So I have to cancel with Smart and take out a new 12 month contract at the new address :confused:
    I rang Eircom and they said only Smart can transfer my line...
    I'm working 9-6 without lunch breaks,so I can't ring Smart's customer support all the time.
    I'm just tired of this ****e...

Well different services have different ratios.

My digiweb package is 12:1 (one of the reasons i left BT/Vodafone was changing my contention from 24:1 to 48:1 without informing me.)

Pierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

P1erce,

What was Eircom's business broadband contention ratio?

• Advertisement

gibbon75 wrote: »
    P1erce,

What was Eircom's business broadband contention ratio?

I think it was 24:1 quoted to me on the phone.

Now im not sure what the price was 40euro/month is what I think it was (can't be sure the pad I wrote all this down on is at work).

Not sure who provides the best contention ratio in Ireland, but 24:1 and less is pretty good for a residential service.

The next bit is my honest opinion, I have no idea if any ISP actually kicks the contention ratio in? Or if its something they can say if your getting more than 1/48*7mbit (or 145kbps) that they are perfectly in line with their policies and thus they don't really have to listen to you and keep comreg happy...

Pierce

Advertisement