Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gibson Les Paul Paintwork

Options
  • 06-03-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio (white) about four years ago. It has picked up a few knocks and dinks that I'm not too concerned about. However, the paint work seems to have 'split' in several places on the front and back of the guitar, particularly around the volume/tone buttons and behind the bridge and stop bar tailpiece, but generally all over the guitar. It looks a mess and the splits literally run from the length of the main body.

You don't have to look closely to see it, it's unsightly and I'm really annoyed about it because I spent a lot of money on it.

Does this happen often with Gibsons? Do I have any recourse through Gibson and, if not, can the paintwork on the guitar be repaired?

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

MusoMan wrote: »
    I purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio (white) about four years ago. It has picked up a few knocks and dinks that I'm not too concerned about. However, the paint work seems to have 'split' in several places on the front and back of the guitar, particularly around the volume/tone buttons and behind the bridge and stop bar tailpiece, but generally all over the guitar. It looks a mess and the splits literally run from the length of the main body.

You don't have to look closely to see it, it's unsightly and I'm really annoyed about it because I spent a lot of money on it.

Does this happen often with Gibsons? Do I have any recourse through Gibson and, if not, can the paintwork on the guitar be repaired?

Thanks...

It's very common and is called checking. It's happens with Nitrocellulose finishes like on Gibsons and old Fenders (modern Fenders use Polyester & Polyurethane except for a few models). Modern "poly" finishes were designed to stop this. It can largely depend on where the instrument was kept. Extremes in temperature cause the wood to expand and contract and the paint goes through a lot of stress because of this.

I have a late 1980's Gibson and it doesn't have any checking. I guess the previous owner (someone in Japan) was very careful. On the other side of the coin I've seen pictures of a similar aged Gibson recently that's been through the wars and could almost pass for a 1950's example.

The truth is that many people like this and thus you have a market for "pre-reliced" instruments with crazing and checking already there.

You could get it refinished if you're very bothered by it but I wouldn't. It would seriously devalue the guitar... just like any refinish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

All part of the 'Mojo'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MusoMan

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad that it seems to be a common enough thing. I did think I had looked after it well, it always stayed in its case when not being gigged or played although I did, on occasion leave it in the practice garage for a few hours or what not.

Cheers! I won't do anything to it and that's really what I needed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I've heard of guys leaving their guitar's body in the freezer and then going at it with a hairdryer to induce checking... Some people :rolleyes:

Haha! I'm sure some people would be crazy enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

It is common, and some are worse than others. Believe it or not, this Les Paul is from 1990 and all the checking is apparently natural:

DSC02892.jpg

DSC02912.jpgDSC02924.jpg

Now that is fecking 'Mojo'. Beautiful........

Haha that's the one I was talking about above! :D

Mine is an '87 and looks like it just came out of the factory. I play the **** out of it but it doesn't do anything.... save for the little headstock chip where I dropped it through a glass table. :p

Dord wrote: »
    Mine is an '87 and looks like it just came out of the factory. I play the **** out of it but it doesn't do anything.... save for the little headstock chip where I dropped it through a glass table. :p

Rock and Roll.....:)

:cool:

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    :cool:

Dord, you are a mod for 'GAS'.......how, what, when?? How do i get in, if i ever find out what it is?

Okay, don't feel as bad about my one now! Thanks for the pics.

Advertisement