Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotment in Sligo

Options
  • 06-03-2010 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

A group of people are trying to gauge interest for an allotment for Sligo town, if interested email sligoallotments@yahoo.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

Great idea, where would you plan to have them? While I live outside Sligo and have my own half-acre garden this wouldn't really suit me, but I know some people in Sligo town with small/no gardens who might love this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sligoallotments

Well at the minute we are gauging interest for allotments as alot of people in town have no gardens. It would have to be very close or within town to suit towns people,if you know of anyone interested would you let them know and email us as we need to gauge the level of interest within the town. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I would be interested. I am currently trying to grow pepper plants on my windowsill - it's not a roaring success...

I always thought that the Fairground space on Gallows Hill/Temple Street would be ideal for allotments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I live in Ballymote and we got a leaflet through the door a few months back about a proposed allotment/common graden they were planning.

It is on the back lane between Marren Park and the football pitch.

I think it is a nice idea but wonder will the knacks take great pleasure of kicking the heads off yer cabbages when out wandering at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

How about the middle of the Racecourse...its owned by the people of Sligo..... So there should be no problem using it and there would be no interferance with the racing as the inside of the track is open for walkers ,joggers athletes etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sligoallotments

Dear All

Unfortunately we have been unsuccessful in relation to securing allotments provided by the council as, according to them, all of the available land is earmarked for parks. However, there are a number of other options available in relation to allotments and community gardens. We are holding a meeting on Wed, 5th of May at 6.30pm in the SIPTU offices in Hanson's Retail Park, Cleveragh in order to provide you with information on our efforts to date and the options available to you.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I hope to see you there. Please let me know if you can make it.

[/FONT]sligoallotments@yahoo.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

Dear All

Unfortunately we have been unsuccessful in relation to securing allotments provided by the council as, according to them, all of the available land is earmarked for parks. However, there are a number of other options available in relation to allotments and community gardens. We are holding a meeting on Wed, 5th of May at 6.30pm in the SIPTU offices in Hanson's Retail Park, Cleveragh in order to provide you with information on our efforts to date and the options available to you.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I hope to see you there. Please let me know if you can make it.

[/FONT]sligoallotments@yahoo.ie

i like the park they made in cranmore after the buldozed all the houses and then put a fence around it so no one can use, im sure they are thinking there is no profit in it for them for allotments which is a shame as im sure alot of people would take up the offer for an allotment space if it was there

good luck with finding the space for the allotments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

my gran told me years ago that where the tesco car park is now used to be allotments must have ben in the 30's or 40's try taking it back!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

That seems a pretty lame excuse from the Local Authority really.
    There must be somewhere to have allotments.
    There is loads of land around the town which is owned by the LA and which is not parkland.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

as long as there is sufficient demand for allotments, the statute book is quite clear in the procurement and provision of land by local authorities for this purpose....in other words, to say that "we have no land left" is imo not a viable excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

dardevle wrote: »

as long as there is sufficient demand for allotments, the statute book is quite clear in the procurement and provision of land by local authorities for this purpose....in other words, to say that "we have no land left" is imo not a viable excuse.

I believe exactly the same thing happened in Strandhill last year. After "Corrigan's City Farm" aired on RTE many people wanted an allotment. On approaching the council they were told that allotments would not be provided in Strandhill. Sligo local authorities, apparently, are not bound by the statutes that other counties' authorities are.
    I'm sure there's some logical and unequivocal reasoning behind this. Maybe Sligo is part of an isthmus or enclave which actually belongs to another country where provision of allotments is not an entitlement. Or maybe special provision was written into the statutes allowing Sligo to decline to adhere due to the fact that Sligo is "the wrong shape" for allotments or somesuch.
    Or maybe they just don't give a damn, know the public has little recourse and know the useless councillors you elected will do nothing to help and you will probably just re-elect them anyway.
    C'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

dardevle wrote: »

Not doubting ye, dardevle, but wondering what's the statute/law you refer to that means local authorities must be able to procure and provide land for allotments. Just interested. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1926/en/act/pub/0008/index.html

they don't HAVE to provide it but they may use land earmarked for other uses ( houses that will never be built?) or even comp purchase land for allotment use, as long as there is sufficient demand for it...to simply say there is no more land is just a cop out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnnicko

Hi Guys any interest in allotment area in Colloney not far from Train station. Just gathering interest at the moment to see if there would be a market. From research so far there seems to be a real shortage of allotments in the sligo area. What are the key facilities needed in the allotment area. Water, Parking, etc Any feedback appreciated.

Get in touch with sligoallotments above ^^^^^^^^^

And aren't there some up on the O'Hara estate also?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Is this topic still alive? I was thinking, rather than rely on local authorities to provide a plot of land for allotments, some of us who are interested in allotments could get together and collectively rent some privately owned land for the purpose. As far as I know, you can get four or five acres, which is a fair size when you look at it, for about €250 a year.

NecroSteve wrote: »
    Is this topic still alive? I was thinking, rather than rely on local authorities to provide a plot of land for allotments, some of us who are interested in allotments could get together and collectively rent some privately owned land for the purpose. As far as I know, you can get four or five acres, which is a fair size when you look at it, for about €250 a year.

Yes it is and this is the right time of year to be getting out there.
    The Sligo Allotments group is still on the go, I think, but it's at least it's a link to a group of other people who would like to have one.

Think 4 or 5 acres would be a bit much though no?
    And to get it close to town, on decent ground?

But you're right to push it, only way to go.

The local authority should provide the ground, but sadly don't.

Advertisement