Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First camera for a teenager?

• 06-03-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a first camera as a birthday present

was wondering if you could point me in the right direction?

Point and click i'm assuming would be the way to go here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It really depends on what you want to spend. I very much think go for digital. You should be able to get something for €100-150 in the usual electronics stores - I would avoid anything under €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

hey victor i was looking to spend around 150 i'll be purchasing from amazon.

so i was looking to try and get the best in that price range

Canon Digital IXUS 95 IS ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

ntlbell wrote: »
    hey victor i was looking to spend around 150 i'll be purchasing from amazon.

so i was looking to try and get the best in that price range

Canon Digital IXUS 95 IS ?

Can't go wrong with Canon. Thats a good camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

ixus 95 is an incredible camera. Personally i find canon way better at the point and shoot than anyone else, and then I go for nikon DSLR'S.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

second hand film camera...go on you know ya wanna :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

You don't mention whether it's for a boy or girl?

Oh yes! there is a huge difference! If it's for a teen boy, don't go for flashy coloured models :D He'll only keep it hidden away when he's out and about.

get a macho looking, tough wearing p&s, also, teenage boys like numbers, they sound cool, so the more megapixel the better.

That sounds stupid, but it's true [I was a teenage boy one time ... ] If they're not all that into photography, just want a fun easy to use cam that is.

Any of the top brands 10mp+ should do the trick.

There's a decent little Sony on Argos, in their clearance sale, for €155 -

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5591909/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419436%7CClearance+Photography%7C14520956.htm

12 mega pixels.
    Metal body.
    Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens.
    4 x optical zoom.
    8 x digital zoom.
    Wide angel 35mm lens.
    2.7in LCD screen.
    SteadyShot (electronic) digital anti-blur.
    Face detection up to 8 faces.
    Auto plus 100-300 ISO.
    Memory stick PRO duo.
    Smile shutter.
    Built-in flash.
    PictBridge compatible.
    Includes Lithium Ion battery and CD-ROM.
    Depth 2.2cm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

For a girl :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

ntlbell wrote: »
    For a girl :p

Oh, in that case anything pink or yellow with some bling on it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Can you give us a bit more information please.

What does she want to do with the camera?

If she just wants something to take happy snaps of family & friends then any of the P&S's should be good. Most brands will do the job but I think that Canon probably have the best reputation in that market. Look for something with Image Stabalisation (IS) and Face Detection. I would not worry about the MegaPixels as they all have more than enough resolution now. As said above, the "look" of the camera may be more important than the actual performance for a teenage girl.

If she is looking at learning about Photography & this could be a real interest that she has then the choice is harder. In this case you would be better getting her a Bridge Camera (mid way between the P&S's & a DSLR) For this you would either have to lift the budget a bit or look for a second hand camera. These cameras will allow her to learn more about Photography & how to control the exposure. Throw in a copy of the book "Understanding Exposure" and she will be well on her way to becoming a proficient Photographer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

+1

You could get a decent secondhand bridge camera (something like the Finepix S5700) for under €100, then put the other €50 to a small tripod/carry bag/filters/"Understanding Exposure" or similar. She'll learn a lot more about photography than with a point-and-shoot.

If it's a point-and-shoot she wants, then yeah, Canon Powershot series ftw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement