Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    Of course it's a scope change, and as a proportion of the total scheme cost it would be well within generally recognised acceptable limits. It's inclusion effectively signals that any planned improvements to the rest of the route are being long-fingered. Howlin is labours answer to the healy-raes though.

Given that the M11G2E is already under construction and the oylegate doesn't even have a route (only a preferred route corridor) I would think that it is definitely not a scope change. If it still has to go through EIS/OH/CPO then it could be years before its ready to go...G2E could be long complete.

josip wrote: »
    Why do you say it's kneejerk? I've said for the last few weeks on the N25 thread that I believe the good news announcements will be timed for maximum effect in the election. It would be naive to believe otherwise, given the geographic nature of our representation system.

Was it not announced as part of the 'five year plan' previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mellifera wrote: »
    Was it not announced as part of the 'five year plan' previously?

Perhaps, but if so, why does the Wexford people report that Brendan Howlin announced it at the N25 sod turning?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

josip wrote: »
    Perhaps, but if so, why does the Wexford people report that Brendan Howlin announced it at the N25 sod turning?

Were Brendan Howlin's lips moving as he announced it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

If it's true that the oil gate bypass will be incorporated, surely there will be some sort of updated alignment map/graphic posted up soon, on one of the relevant websiteS?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Can anyone be that naive I asks myself :rolleyes:

But maybe I'm too cynical (aka realistic)....

Well of course it's handy for Brendan Howlin given the upcoming election - it's always good to have a nice surprise for the electorate and bring in a few more votes. However, we should not cut off our noses despite our faces. Given that Rosslare to Oilgate is unlikely for quite some time, it makes perfect sense to throw in a bypass of Oilgate if it is feasible to do so.

Mind you, I'm very surprised given the remaining due process regarding the Rosslare to Oilgate Scheme. I believe that a preferred route has been selected, so that leaves the detailed design to be determined and the EIS to be submitted. However, I imagine that the Oilgate Bypass could be singled out for an EIS publication (and Oral Hearing) and that given the relatively short distance (4km approx.) involved, the process might be quite speedy - I believe that the planning for the Cashel Bypass was very rapid given its relatively short distance.

Any thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Middle Man wrote: »
    Well of course it's handy for Brendan Howlin given the upcoming election - it's always good to have a nice surprise for the electorate and bring in a few more votes. However, we should not cut off our noses despite our faces. Given that Rosslare to Oilgate is unlikely for quite some time, it makes perfect sense to throw in a bypass of Oilgate if it is feasible to do so.

I don't actually oppose it! Just that its announcement and timing etc plays fast and lose with any structured procedure for deciding on road projects.
    Mind you, I'm very surprised given the remaining due process regarding the Rosslare to Oilgate Scheme. I believe that a preferred route has been selected, so that leaves the detailed design to be determined and the EIS to be submitted. However, I imagine that the Oilgate Bypass could be singled out for an EIS publication (and Oral Hearing) and that given the relatively short distance (4km approx.) involved, the process might be quite speedy - I believe that the planning for the Cashel Bypass was very rapid given its relatively short distance.

Any thoughts?

My only thought is - which Minister fast-tracked the Cashel bypass before which election :)

I don't actually oppose it! Just that its announcement and timing etc plays fast and lose with any structured procedure for deciding on road projects.

Indeed, it was well timed I must say!
    My only thought is - which Minister fast-tracked the Cashel bypass before which election :)

I'm actually not sure TBH - Michael Lowry was Tipperary North (Cashel is South) and was not a minister post 1996 - he's out. That leaves Seamus Brennan (Transport) and Martin Cullen (Environment). I think roads were under Environment up to about 2002 before being transferred to Transport. Seamus Brennan was Dublin South and Martin Cullen was Waterford. I'm not sure what parochial motive there'd be for either of these former ministers - I'm sure bypassing Cashel might bag a few votes from regular N8 users though. I don't know if I've over looked something...

Indeed, it was well timed I must say!

I'm actually not sure TBH - Michael Lowry was Tipperary North (Cashel is South) and was not a minister post 1996 - he's out. That leaves Seamus Brennan (Transport) and Martin Cullen (Environment). I think roads were under Environment up to about 2002 before being transferred to Transport. Seamus Brennan was Dublin South and Martin Cullen was Waterford. I'm not sure what parochial motive there'd be for either of these former ministers - I'm sure bypassing Cashel might bag a few votes from regular N8 users though. I don't know if I've over looked something...

Or I suppose we might concede this one to Spacetweek and admit is was possibly unrelated to any election?! :)

Any thoughts?
    AFAIK (judging by info available on website) it's only a corridor that's chosen...this would be in the order of 300m. The route could then be anywhere in that space. To get tenderers procured, design done, EIS/planning could probably be at least 1.5-2 years if it all goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So I take it that work has actually begun on the Enniscorthy bypass scheme? Are there any earthworks yet? Any pics of works? Or is it just vegetation clearance and fencing off being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

See post #380 for a teaser....

I'd expect to see earth movers etc pretty soon. Once the weather breaks, we'll see real progress.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So I take it that work has actually begun on the Enniscorthy bypass scheme? Are there any earthworks yet? Any pics of works? Or is it just vegetation clearance and fencing off being done?

Was down in Camolin the other night; could see no sign of any work (it was dark) though there was a gate at the terminal roundabout that had lots of signs on it - looked like something might be going in there.

Or I suppose we might concede this one to Spacetweek and admit is was possibly unrelated to any election?! :)

Regarding the bypassing of Enniscorthy, Oilgate and New Ross, the wheels were already in motion when the outgoing government came to power. But of course, any powerful successor (post 2011) currently representing the constituency would never look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to local vote winning projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Regarding the bypassing of Enniscorthy, Oilgate and New Ross, the wheels were already in motion when the outgoing government came to power. But of course, any powerful successor (post 2011) currently representing the constituency would never look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to local vote winning projects.

of course , but that that just demonstrates the continuity of the political system, incoming governments rarely mess too much with its predecessors approach. Nothing new here, every gov, appropriates the things it likes from the previous administration and disavows the things it doesnt

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

I love your discussion guys.

Contract signed, road is getting build, and you deliberate what is political stunt and what isn't.
    We love doing that in Poland:D

I would call it a first world problem ;)

Geogregor wrote: »
    I would call it a first world problem ;)

Or a simple recognition of political reality....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Or a simple recognition of political reality....

the political stunt , in the mind of cynics, is much more common, then the reality suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

Well, let's hope the weather improves soon, and the work ramps up.

I'd much prefer to see progress updates than 'was it a political stunt?' debates.

BTW when the N40 Flyovers (Cork) were in progress, you could sign up for a Co. Co. email update - I used to get an update 2-3 times per month.

Any idea if this is happening for this project?

Any openstreetmap editors on this thread?

The Enniscorthy and New Ross bypasses are missing!

Fix it!

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    the political stunt, in reality, is much more common, then the naive suggest.

:cool:

(For the record I must state that I have falsified that quotation) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Bam did a web site/newsletter or the Arklow-Rathnew/Newlands Cross scheme so I'd expect to see something soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I presume he means inserting it as 'under construction' ala M17/M18 scheme.

Patww79 wrote: »

Not on my computer....

vseWQL4.jpg

That's a bit extreme!

I go this way....

juOyFI7.jpg

• Advertisement

Point taken...I'm nearly always heading to New Ross/Waterford.

Advertisement