Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

spacetweek wrote: »
    What are the precasts for?

I'm not entirely sure .

It looks like they dug out a ditch / channel and are placing the precast sections into it .

They're big enough to drive a car in .

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

The precast cubes are diverting water from low lying road/underpasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Two pics taken at Glenteige. The smooth wide road is looking back in the Gorey direction, the deep trench/ valley is looking towards wexford.
    20160922_154747.jpg

20160922_154831.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Precast culverts being craned into position on the N30 section near Ballyorrill/The Moyne.Couldn't find a safe spot to park and get a pic.There's a stream running along a valley so they must be going over it as the road follows the valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Seems mad they couldn't go an extra couple of miles to bypass Oylgate and not have traffic coming practically straight into a 50 k zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

kneemos wrote: »
    Seems mad they couldn't go an extra couple of miles to bypass Oylgate and not have traffic coming practically straight into a 50 k zone.

I think the scheme stops north of Oylgate because at the time the preferred route selection for Oylgate - Rosslare had not been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

Yesterday they were cutting down lots of trees on the east side of the N11 which will be at the start/end of the motorway north of Oylgate.

tertials wrote: »
    Yesterday they were cutting down lots of trees on the east side of the N11 which will be at the start/end of the motorway north of Oylgate.

I was told there's a lot of earthworks and muck shifting taking place near that end of the M11.

sH2.jpg

This is now about 3 metres or more higher now since I took that picture.Won't be long until they put a structure in place over the existing road at the rate they are going.

zerks wrote: »
    sH2.jpg

This is now about 3 metres or more higher now since I took that picture.Won't be long until they put a structure in place over the existing road at the rate they are going.

Amazing work, but it feel it's completion will sound the death knell for Camolin Ferns and Enniscorthy. I was on the Gorey bypass yesterday and was explaining to the wife that the new fencing that we could see disappearing off to our left was the new starting point for the Enniscorthy bypass and that all we would be soon was a blue sign and a slip road. That's progress I suppose( bypass the places you want to ignore)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Only people who want to be in them will be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

spacetweek wrote: »
    What are the precasts for?

They are for a mill race (water channel going to an old mill).
    It seems they had to keep the race going to the old mill as part of the road deal.
    The mill is just about 150m metres from there.
    The water comes into the mill race off the river just below the fish farm (for people that know the area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

There was a good cartoon in one of the local papers showing Enniscorthy now with choked up traffic and after the bypass advertising itself as a place to visit and not detest being stuck in while trying to get to Dublin or Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Enniscorthy and Ferns will be fine, there are reasons to still visit both of them. By all accounts Gorey is much improved by the bypass. Camolin and Oilgate might struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

jca wrote: »
    Amazing work, but it feel it's completion will sound the death knell for Camolin Ferns and Enniscorthy.
    It will not. I'd be more inclined to visit Enniscorthy once the through traffic is removed. I've never had the remotest inclination to stop while crawling through on a Friday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

jca wrote: »
    Amazing work, but it feel it's completion will sound the death knell for Camolin Ferns and Enniscorthy. I was on the Gorey bypass yesterday and was explaining to the wife that the new fencing that we could see disappearing off to our left was the new starting point for the Enniscorthy bypass and that all we would be soon was a blue sign and a slip road. That's progress I suppose( bypass the places you want to ignore)

This attitude always amazes me. How many people actually decided to spend money in these towns while driving through very few I would think. I've only ever stopped when caught short or dying for a coffee. People who use to go to these places will still go and others will choose to visit or live in them now they aren't basically car parks.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Enniscorthy and Ferns will be fine, there are reasons to still visit both of them. By all accounts Gorey is much improved by the bypass. Camolin and Oilgate might struggle.

May dig a tunnel to cross the road in Oylgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

I had one of the best 99s I ever had 20 years ago at a shop in Camolin that has long since closed.
    Absolutely massive, heavy ice cream, not foamy, for half nothing.
    An impulse buy on the way through heading south.

This attitude always amazes me. How many people actually decided to spend money in these towns while driving through very few I would think. I've only ever stopped when caught short or dying for a coffee. People who use to go to these places will still go and others will choose to visit or live in them now they aren't basically car parks.

I hope your right. The novelty of no traffic especially on Fridays will be nice.

• Advertisement

The earthmoving was still continuing apace at the N30 mainline at 3pm today.Very little rest time for the contractor.I'll try to get an updated photo tomorrow.

These were taken heading towards the Oylegate end of the M11 Mainline about 2kms South of Vinegar Hill.

sbd.jpg

sbG.jpg

sbW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

At least one of Camolin's three filling stations will likely fail; I can't see anything else being impacted.

L1011 wrote: »
    At least one of Camolin's three filling stations will likely fail; I can't see anything else being impacted.

Camolin's loss is Oylgate's opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

L1011 wrote: »

I'd be delighted as the two opposite each other have been robbing motorists for years and are always the EXACT same price

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

kneemos wrote: »
    Camolin's loss is Oylgate's opportunity.

A bypass of Oilgate is supposed to be tacked onto the end of this one, I think they're preparing the tender now. So they won't benefit for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

loyatemu wrote: »
    A bypass of Oilgate is supposed to be tacked onto the end of this one, I think they're preparing the tender now. So they won't benefit for long.

No, nothing firm on this at all yet.

Given the decades it took for the Enniscorthy bypass I'd be mighty surprised if it ever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

Are we unique in Ireland that we build our roads as a series of bypasses only proceeding with the next part when the bottleneck problem reaches significant proportions?

Instead of the Dublin-Wexford/Rosslare dual carriageway/motorway we instead got a series of joined up bypasses. I'm not saying that there wasn't a broader plan and land was obviously reserved/sterilised for future parts. But a motorway has a positive feeling of bringing one somewhere. A series of bypasses conjures up a picture of just trying to avoiding lots of problems.

As one drives along the N11 it progresses seamlessly from "The Gorey Bypass" to "The Arklow Bypass" to the "Rathnew Bypass", "Newtownmountkennedy Bypass", "Shankill Bypass", "Cabinteely Bypass", Stillorgan Bypass. Soon the Enniscorthy bypass will be added to that list and perhaps eventually an Oylegate bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

josip wrote: »
    Are we unique in Ireland that we build our roads as a series of bypasses only proceeding with the next part when the bottleneck problem reaches significant proportions?

No. We didn't build the MIU motorways that way; and the UK is basically identical - their inter-urbans were built mostly as single planned projects but A(x)M roads and some minor motorways are often stringed bypasses built when needed, just like here.

Advertisement