Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

josip wrote: »
    Are we unique in Ireland that we build our roads as a series of bypasses only proceeding with the next part when the bottleneck problem reaches significant proportions?
    We generally aren't unique. Any problem that exists in Ireland exists elsewhere.

Those N11 segments are not referred to by those names.
    It's rare for a country to plan a large motorway network and build it all in one go. The USA is an exception. Even the German autobahns have missing sections because although they were planned from the start they have in practice been built based on need.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭josip

spacetweek wrote: »
    ...Those N11 segments are not referred to by those names.

Referred to by who?
    The wiki page I linked to uses those names and while wikipedia is not a peer reviewed source, the information contained usually reflects commonly used nomenclature.

Also just looking at the first 3 posts on this thread.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    I thought Ferns was being done as part of the enniscorthy bypass - maybe I'm wrong.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Ferns is only 9-10 km away so it is proberly part of the Enniscorthy by-pass.

Mike.
    PoolDude wrote: »
    The enniscorthy bypass goes north as far as Scarawalsh, which I think is roughly where the turn of for the N80 Bunclody road is. That would mean Ferns and Camolin are not bypassed. The current plan is also for the the Enniscorthy bypass to be wide two lane, so it will not be dual carriageway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

josip wrote: »
    Referred to by who?
    The wiki page I linked to uses those names and while wikipedia is not a peer reviewed source, the information contained usually reflects commonly used nomenclature.

Also just looking at the first 3 posts on this thread.

They may have been built under these names, but they are now just sections of the M11.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They may have been built under these names, but they are now just sections of the M11.

Yep. And the Enniscorthy Bypass will not be referred to by that name once it opens to traffic. It'll just be a southern extension of the M11.

I remember when the M50 parts were named the Northern Cross, Western Parkway, Southern Cross and South-Eastern Motorway, but no-one uses those names now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Western Parkway, God that brings back memories. Remember the big sign, Now the west is won, as you drove off into the evening sun, exciting times!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

jca wrote: »
    Western Parkway, God that brings back memories. Remember the big sign, Now the west is won, as you drove off into the evening sun, exciting times!!

It should be renamed ' The Western Car park' now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Never, they are and always will be refered to as Gorey/Arklow/Bray etc etc by pass

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

vicwatson wrote: »
    Never, they are and always will be refered to as Gorey/Arklow/Bray etc etc by pass

Wrong.

Over time they will be known as "the M11 near bray/Arklow/Enniscorthy";)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Us roads nerds will always use "Bypass", cos thats what they were built as.

That and "M11 gap".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Us roads nerds will always use "Bypass", cos thats what they were built as.

That and "M11 gap".

We've a new M11 gap from Fassaroe to Coyne's Cross to debate now'

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Wrong.

Over time they will be known as "the M11 near bray/Arklow/Enniscorthy";)

Over time? The bray by pass (there you go) is built maybe 20 years and still being referred by all I know as the bray by pass, as is the arklow by pass

Back on track - was in Wex earlier and see that they are working away north of oilgate on the enniscorthy by pass right alongside the existing n11

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

vicwatson wrote: »
    Over time? The bray by pass (there you go) is built maybe 20 years and still being referred by all I know as the bray by pass, as is the arklow by pass

Maybe ye're a bit different down Wicklow way. In Limerick we have the Limerick Ring Road phase 1 and 2. They're referred to as the dual carriageway/motorway and the tunnel. Nobody ever says ring road. As previously said by others, nobody refers to the M50 as anything other than the M50, even though it had 4 names! The various sections of the M18 (which I'm also familiar with) are not known by their scheme names, they're just the M18. As I started with, maybe it's a Wicklow thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Some new work has started where the new bridge on the link road is to be built.

I went up past the Moyne nursing home heading for ballyorril yesterday. You can really see it taking shape in the new Ross direction, the amount of soil that's been removed is huge. I'll try and get a pic but it's difficult to get a good vantage point without being flattened.

I went up past the Moyne nursing home heading for ballyorril yesterday. You can really see it taking shape in the new Ross direction, the amount of soil that's been removed is huge. I'll try and get a pic but it's difficult to get a good vantage point without being flattened.

I pass that way a few times a week, you can really see it take shape,they have also moved further down towards the compound but its nearly impossible to see how they are progressing as the route is tree lined and in a valley.

Some pics which show the progress made since my first ones posted.

02r.jpg

06M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A bit of concrete in place. Not entirely sure what they're for,there's a tiny stream to the left where the black fencing is but it's only a trickle.

The whole thing is being overpassed anyway as there is a road beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

kneemos wrote: »
    A bit of concrete in place. Not entirely sure what they're for,there's a tiny stream to the left where the black fencing is but it's only a trickle.

The whole thing is being overpassed anyway as there is a road beside it.

These are all over the place. They are there to divert rivers and streams away from the motorway/underpasses etc.

Why so high?

So bats can get out if it floods...

Here if you don't believe me!
    http://www.batconservationireland.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/BCI_Guidelines_waterways.pdf

• Advertisement

daraghwal wrote: »
    These are all over the place. They are there to divert rivers and streams away from the motorway/underpasses etc.

Why so high?

So bats can get out if it floods...

Here if you don't believe me!
    http://www.batconservationireland.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/BCI_Guidelines_waterways.pdf

Seems like a mighty expense to accommodate a few little critters.
    Back in the day it would have been piped and forgotten about.

Yep, they do that for the bats and can't even give a smaller one to the farmers who are lucky to get an underpass without being able to drive a tractor through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

daraghwal wrote: »
    Yep, they do that for the bats and can't even give a smaller one to the farmers who are lucky to get an underpass without being able to drive a tractor through it!

Are we sure this isn't one for the farmers?

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Are we sure this isn't one for the farmers?

Yep, they're diverting the rivers before they put in the underpasses. Also they couldn't have an underpass when there's that much water flowing around it.

Welcome to 2016. I think the M1 in England cost a million pounds back in the day, even adjusted for inflation that's practically nothing.

Welcome to 2016. I think the M1 in England cost a million pounds back in the day, even adjusted for inflation that's practically nothing.

It costs roughly €1 million for an overpass now..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

built by Irish navvies who lived in caravans onsite. Different times.

More culverts etc. being built near the Finchogue interchange. From the road you can't see any activity but work is going on down in the valley where the river is. This dry spell seems to be helping speed up the work.

loyatemu wrote: »
    built by Irish navvies who lived in caravans onsite. Different times.

For far better money though, many of them left the factories to work the roads. Many are telling me that bam are paying €9 per hour, take it or leave it.

• Advertisement

For far better money though, many of them left the factories to work the roads. Many are telling me that bam are paying €9 per hour, take it or leave it.

Must be for the lollypop guys,can't imagine the machinery drivers are on that.

Advertisement