Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

zerks wrote: »
    Surveying taking place south of Oylegate,I think it's just for resurfacing though.I'll find out and give an update.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/additional-road-works-on-the-cards-for-enniscorthy-35673184.html
    Elsewhere, the design is currently being undertaken for the resurfacing of the N11 south of Oylegate with works hopefully being carried out later on in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why the hell are they resurfacing the road between Scarawalsh and Ferns? That doesn't need doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why the hell are they resurfacing the road between Scarawalsh and Ferns? That doesn't need doing.

That council budget has to be spent somewhere.A lot of it was done only a year ago.
    I suppose when the bypass is done,it will be neglected and may never be resurfaced again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It was actually bad. It had a continuous crack running down the centre of each lane. The Oylgate to Wexford stretch is the same,if not slightly worse. Not noticeable at a glance,but if you look closely you'll see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Yep, wearing surface starting to crumble away in parts. You need to cycle it regularly to see it up close. Doubt there's any council budget involved as it's an N road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It was bad enough in places. I'd say the council are delighted it's being done because it will be their responsibility when the bypass opens. Plenty of concrete work being done at the gap cross and kilalligan I see concrete tops appearing on the flyover at art Butler's.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Lots of funding being made available to Wexford County council for resurfacing works on the National road network this year. This funding from the TII is provided for surface improvements on the road network feeding into the 2 new Motorway projects and is titled "Residul network funding". As said above a lot of these roads will be handed over to the council once the motorways are completed and is not costing the council anything so it's only good news that works like these are being carried out.

Drone flight video from the contractors taken in March 2017

D.

http://youtu.be/pa1Tlzv0Dpw

A lot of work done since March,the last piece of the video in particular, all dug out now on that section. Not easy to get pics there as hard shoulder is closed on the N11 at that section.

It's also amazing how a bit of rain and heat can turn the embankments green.Along the N30 section they were brown topsoil only a week ago and are now turning green.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Some very good time lapse and drone footage on this Facebook page. IDO Timelapse.

https://www.facebook.com/ido.timelapse/posts/482202098838613

Some progress on the bridge over the Slaney.

0Aj.jpg

Had to try grab this one out the passenger side window while driving past with a jeep up our ass.:p

0As.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

MichealD wrote: »
    Some very good time lapse and drone footage on this Facebook page. IDO Timelapse.

https://www.facebook.com/ido.timelapse/posts/482202098838613
    Jaysus, that was one serious amount of earth-moving that was done there!

Digging has started for the footings of the bridge over the Ballyorrill section of the N30 stretch.
    I'll grab a pic when there's some structures in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

zerks wrote: »
    Digging has started for the footings of the bridge over the Ballyorrill section of the N30 stretch.
    I'll grab a pic when there's some structures in place.

Saw that, my brother lives on Ballyorrill Hill, was out there over the weekend.

Started the ground work finally up around the Ferns area I noticed.

Structure in place at the gap cross it's really starting to take shape in a few places. I got a pic I'll try to upload it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 viper87

They have the beams lifted in on three bridges now. Pavement works started on the N30 this week, so I hear

Have a pic of the Gap cross structure in place. Bloody pic won't upload:mad::mad: Why is it so bloody difficult to display a pic on this bloody site:mad:???? I selected attachments, navigated to the pic then nothing happened... I just want to be able to display the pics like M17 does in the Gort/Tuam bypass thread. Can anyone give simple instructions as to how I can do this? The new window that opened is so tiny I didn't see the upload button, but still no joy it says my 3.52 meg pic exceeds the 4 meg limit:confused::confused:
    Success, pity it shows as a link instead of an embedded picture. The progress in several areas has been very fast this last few weeks, if the weather dries up I promise I'll make an effort to get a few pics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Upload to photobucket and link to there from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

jca wrote: »
    I just want to be able to display the pics like M17 does in the Gort/Tuam bypass thread. Can anyone give simple instructions as to how I can do this?
    spacetweek wrote: »
    Upload to photobucket and link to there from here.
    You can do that. You can also do it another way.

1. Upload the photo using boards.

2. Once the photo has been uploaded you will see it on the bottom of your post as an attachment. Hover your pointer over it and use copy link address.

3. Use the "insert image" icon from the window posting toolbar.

I accept that steps 2 and 3 can only be done from a laptop/desktop. What I do is upload using a phone and then do the rest from a desktop. Might be a bit clunky but I think it's worth it. It also means that the image stays within boards.ie and could be useful if the photobucket or other account becomes disabled.

Have to feel sorry for those people living in quite spots along the route. Their tranquility will be lost forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yes, but also, A motorway will not cause as much noise pollution as the N standard roads, as it is completely segregated from the areas around it, and either below the ground-level, or above it, with the embankments covered in shrubbery, which in time grows into a large sound barrier.

Also, much safer.

Patww79 wrote: »
    And the people on the old route will gain much more tranquility. Swings and roundabouts.

But most importantly; progress.

Well maybe,but that's a strange response. The quite rural areas will inevitability have their peace ruined will they not?

kneemos wrote: »
    Well maybe,but that's a strange response. The quite rural areas will inevitability have their peace ruined will they not?

Quiet? Is that what you mean? Obviously there will be more noise, that's why they have such a lengthy consultation process prior to ever turning a sod.

jca wrote: »
    Quiet? Is that what you mean? Obviously there will be more noise, that's why they have such a lengthy consultation process prior to ever turning a sod.

Of course obviously,that's why I said I feel sorry for folk in quiet rural spots.
    Curiously people need to put qualifications on it for some reason.

kneemos wrote: »
    Of course obviously,that's why I said I feel sorry for folk in quiet rural spots.
    Curiously people need to put qualifications on it for some reason.

I don't think the noise impact will be as bad as you think as someone said earlier the road is either elevated or deep down in the majority of places where it's near houses. Anywhere it's close to houses they put up that wooden fencing and that blocks a lot of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

I grew up in a house beside the N25. My mother was born in the same house. We've always been used to it. It was an old grade road, no hard shoulder. All the traffic went by 1 metre outside our front hedge. I was never "aware" of the noise.

25 years ago the N25 was realigned and now goes by 200 metres behind our house. There are plenty of trees along the side of it. But I have always found the noise very intrusive and annoying. It's only tyre noise I hear now, instead of engine and tyre noise. I find tyre noise more irritating. Also it's a change that took place during my adult life and adults are less tolerant to change. And it's now at the back of the house instead of the front.

I would expect the tyre noise at 120kph to be much more significant than at 100kph regardless of what kind of surface/landscaping they do on the new road.

Certainly the locals have had plenty of warning, the land has been sterilised for decades so they always knew this would probably happen. But it won't make it any easier for those within earshot to get used to it. And while the people living on the existing route will over time enjoy and prefer the new quieter road, there will be some who will initially miss the traffic ("company") on the old route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That's definitely an odd way of seeing it.

Better is to compare the number of houses near the old route, compared to new. It's less for the new obviously which is the best that can be done.

In other words there will be less people affected by noise when the new road opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

How are the different sections of the route progressing, comparatively? Eg, is it possible the n30 section will ready way ahead of the M11 section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

jd wrote: »
    How are the different sections of the route progressing, comparatively? Eg, is it possible the n30 section will ready way ahead of the M11 section?

M11 are a good bit ahead of schedule apparently

Advertisement