Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

yeyeye wrote:
    You need to market your product and sell it, build up a social media following etc.. explain what the product will do for your clients and the benefits of it vs others similar

daraghwal wrote:
    M11 are a good bit ahead of schedule apparently

When is the completion date and could this be changed if they have progressed quite quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

red_bairn wrote: »
    When is the completion date and could this be changed if they have progressed quite quickly?

Around the end of next year I believe is the estimated completion date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

red_bairn wrote: »

Most contracts of this type would have bonuses built in for early completion, so I reckon it is in their interest to complete early, plus all them Spanish lads probably want to get home asap too, they'll be fed up of Lidl at this stage!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I really wish this thread had more pictures of this scheme progressing. The lack of pics compared to the M17/M18 thread is stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I really wish this thread had more pictures of this scheme progressing. The lack of pics compared to the M17/M18 thread is stark.

Off you go with a camera.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 viper87

kneemos wrote: »
    Around the end of next year I believe is the estimated completion date.

According to the scheme signs, the expected competition date is mid 2019.

Wexford county council has put up some done video from March of this year:

M11
    https://youtu.be/pa1Tlzv0Dpw

N30/N80 https://youtu.be/hDNc5GApsCo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hard to get access to many parts,some areas where works are taking place are inaccessible unless you go cross country or along the site itself.
    The new bridge over the Ballyorrill section will be started within the week,I'll stick up some pics when it's started.
    Clearance works are apace on the Solsborogh section linking Scarawalsh with the M11.A trek through the fields is called for to see a lot of it.

I got a couple of pics and will stick them up when I get a chance.I had the pleasure of standing beside a skip full of dead animals to take one as it was the only vantage point I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Most contracts of this type would have bonuses built in for early completion

That used to be the case back in the good times but AFAIK early completion bonuses were removed for the recent PPPs (Newlands/M11 gap etc).

That used to be the case back in the good times but AFAIK early completion bonuses were removed for the recent PPPs (Newlands/M11 gap etc).

Hard to see any advantage to the Government for an early completion. Certainty not one worth paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's great to see this scheme making such good progress but I can't help but think that the M20 Cork to Limerick route was a much greater priority in both safety and strategic terms.

If I was cynical I'd guess that this and the New Ross bypass being progressed has to do with Brendan Howlin.

It's great to see this scheme making such good progress but I can't help but think that the M20 Cork to Limerick route was a much greater priority in both safety and strategic terms.

If I was cynical I'd guess that this and the New Ross bypass being progressed has to do with Brendan Howlin.

Don't think you even need to be cynical. Pretty good roads in place already albeit huge bottlenecks in both towns.
    The Waterford to Cork road is another route that could do with upgrading.

Rosslare Harbour and Waterford port traffic heading through Co.Wexford have two major bottlenecks to deal with in New Ross and Enniscorthy.This has been a problem for as long as I can remember.

Ballydawmore Interchange.

0Ek.jpg

Digging through the hill on the road from the Slaney bridge to the interchange.

0EQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

personally I would agree, the M20 should have been prioritised first , but the M11 extension was shovel ready and that was the criteria adopted

The M11 south of Arklow is a very quiet road by motorway standards

BoatMad wrote: »
    personally I would agree, the M20 should have been prioritised first , but the M11 extension was shovel ready and that was the criteria adopted

Gorey was a nightmare though in fairness.
    They had this notion of having a proper road connecting Rosslare "Europort"years ago,there's feck all traffic coming or going from there in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Gorey was a nightmare though in fairness.
    They had this notion of having a proper road connecting Rosslare "Europort"years ago,there's feck all traffic coming or going from there in the grand scheme of things.

no argument, mind you Gorey is still jammers

but a bypass was all that was needed not the M11, in reality that should have stopped at Arklow

potentially extending the GDA into North Wexford is a stupid idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

but a bypass was all that was needed not the M11, in reality that should have stopped at Arklow

Sure why not turn off the electricity, internet and water while you're at it, what would dem cultchies want all dem services for an dey nowhere near Doooblin..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That's like saying lets not build the M7/6/9 or 4 because they potentially extend the GDA into Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Offaly or Westmeath etc? Do you think these places should be denied junctions off/on said roads?!

Granted the M11 south of Arklow is relatively quiet but so are sections of the M8 and M7 and M6- in fact many selected sections quiter than a lot of the M9- which was supposed to the greatest white elephant ever but figuring very highly on ADDT figures. Once you hit the current N11 near Ferns it's jammers again- they had to do something and for the minimal extra cost and future proofing, the N11 is wisely becoming the M11. Enniscorthy is dreadful with ADDT more than many sections of built motorway elsewhere.

How does the N11 compare to the N20 in terms of traffic figures? I easily say they're comparable, both are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

road_high wrote: »
    How does the N11 compare to the N20 in terms of traffic figures? I easily say they're comparable, both are needed.

N11 South of Oilgate is now in excess of 13,600 according to this...

https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/gmapbasic.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6
    (you'll need to zoom in)

Middle Man wrote: »
    N11 South of Oilgate is now in excess of 13,600 according to this...

https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/gmapbasic.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6
    (you'll need to zoom in)

Thanks. Looked at existing N20 at Buttevant 10,218 per day.
    Between Blarney and Mallow it's 16,734.

N11 north of Enniscorthy is 15,920 per day...averaged out across both routes the figures don't look significantly different. Both projects are needed.

That's like saying lets not build the M7/6/9 or 4 because they potentially extend the GDA into Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Offaly or Westmeath etc? Do you think these places should be denied junctions off/on said roads?!

Granted the M11 south of Arklow is relatively quiet but so are sections of the M8 and M7 and M6- in fact many selected sections quiter than a lot of the M9- which was supposed to the greatest white elephant ever but figuring very highly on ADDT figures. Once you hit the current N11 near Ferns it's jammers again- they had to do something and for the minimal extra cost and future proofing, the N11 is wisely becoming the M11. Enniscorthy is dreadful with ADDT more than many sections of built motorway elsewhere.

The M11 doesn't connect any major or even large population centres or have any along its route,but if you're building a bypass I'd agree you might as well future proof it.
    It's down to the desperate need for bypasses and the misguided notion that Rosslare- Dublin should a Euro Route or whatever they used to call it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Thanks. Looked at existing N20 at Buttevant 10,218 per day.
    Between Blarney and Mallow it's 16,734.

N11 north of Enniscorthy is 15,920 per day...averaged out across both routes the figures don't look significantly different. Both projects are needed.

N20 traffic when it becomes motorway will easily be 16,000+. Lots of people avoid the N20 and also lots of journeys aren't made simply because the road is so poor.
    The M11 doesn't connect any major or even large population centres or have any along its route,but if you're building a bypass I'd agree you might as well future proof it.
    It's down to the desperate need for bypasses and the misguided notion that Rosslare- Dublin should a Euro Route or whatever they used to call it.

I agree with the M11 being built this far so far, as traffic levels are higher than expected and building 2+2 for 14-15,000 cars is pushing it a bit when you could have R741 traffic moving to the new N11 when it opens too.

Is there any particular reason why the traffic is so high? Commuter/Rosslare traffic? It's very high considering there's not that much south of Enniscorthy.

marno21 wrote: »
    N20 traffic when it becomes motorway will easily be 16,000+. Lots of people avoid the N20 and also lots of journeys aren't made simply because the road is so poor.

I agree with the M11 being built this far so far, as traffic levels are higher than expected and building 2+2 for 14-15,000 cars is pushing it a bit when you could have R741 traffic moving to the new N11 when it opens too.

Is there any particular reason why the traffic is so high? Commuter/Rosslare traffic? It's very high considering there's not that much south of Enniscorthy.

Get a lot of day trippers on weekends. Wexford is a popular shopping town. It's a main artery through the county.

marno21 wrote: »

Wexford is very heavily dependent on dublin for trade. Also the M11 is really the main artery in/out if the county to the whole east, north, west of the country.
    Wexford town is reasonably big by Irish standards. Over 20k people.
    Our other "mega" cities like Galway have what 70-90k people in them at the end of other motorways. Arklow, gorey and enniscorhy over 10k. When you start adding up the populations dependent on the N11, it's probably no different to other MIUs.

Don't doubt the poor quality of the N20- it's comparable to much of the existing N11 which is substandard with bottlenecks and limited overtaking opps

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Don't doubt the poor quality of the N20- it's comparable to much of the existing N11 which is substandard with bottlenecks and limited overtaking opps
    Yes but I mean that if I'm driving from Wexford to Dublin, I only have to drive on ****e roads from Wexford to north of Camolin. With the N20 the only good stretch of road is between Patrickswell and Limerick and between Cork and Blarney, around 15% of the overall drive. The other 85% is deplorable (I'm aware there's wide S2 with climbing lanes between Mallow and Cork but in heavy traffic it's still a slow drive).

From 2019 it'll be S2 only from Wexford to north of Oilgate which is very acceptable for the medium term in fairness.

Loads of concrete beams heading out the Milehouse,dunno where they might be destined for.

• Advertisement

Loads of concrete beams heading out the Milehouse,dunno where they might be destined for.

Beams like these? This is the bridge at the Milehouse to Marshalstown road now.They were just doing the supports when I posted the last pic from there.

0LE.jpg

0LL.jpg

Advertisement