Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

viper87 wrote: »
    No, it's the M11 between the harrow and ballymore museum

I wouldn't have a clue of that area tbh. The marshalstown road is due to be open the first week in September, they really should have waited until it was open before closing the Moyne, work seems to have really slowed to a crawl on these bridges. Very little done around the gap cross in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 viper87

jca wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a clue of that area tbh. The marshalstown road is due to be open the first week in September, they really should have waited until it was open before closing the Moyne, work seems to have really slowed to a crawl on these bridges. Very little done around the gap cross in the last few weeks.

I was over at Marshalstown last week and it definitely won't be open for September.... Nevermind the first week of the month! They still have the approach embankment, bridge parpet, footpath, drainage, safety barrier, signage, fencing, landscaping and the actual road to build 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

From the Wexford People 8th August

http://imgur.com/a/9Ov2o

Cant embed the image for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A few pics of the Slaney bridge progress.Footings and ballast are being laid on the flood plain,hard to get pics of it though.

0hS.jpg

0hU.jpg

The bank of the river is in the foreground here.

0hi.jpg

BAM must be looking at this thread,there's security where I took the last set of pics.Never saw them there before. It's easy enough get pics from the roadside there anyway.
    There's a great view of the Ballydawmore interchange from Corbally bridge but stopping there is tantamount to suicide.

• Advertisement

Somebody put up a sign at the Coolnahorna/Moyne junction. "It's not a joke,the road really is closed". Obviously people were ignoring the official signs.

A worrying trend at the Oylegate end of the works.One hard shoulder is closed but there is no reduced speed limit yet people have a habit of suddenly slamming on the brakes as soon as they see the cones,there's going to be a pile up sooner or later.Not the fault of BAM but of dozy <snip> on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

zerks wrote: »
    A worrying trend at the Oylegate end of the works.One hard shoulder is closed but there is no reduced speed limit yet people have a habit of suddenly slamming on the brakes as soon as they see the cones,there's going to be a pile up sooner or later.Not the fault of BAM but of dozy kunts on the road.

They've erected large 50kph speed limit signs on the N11 on both sides of those works a couple of weeks ago which certainly indicate a reduced speed limit. Some drivers are obeying it, most are not.

MichealD wrote: »
    They've erected large 50kph speed limit signs on the N11 on both sides of those works a couple of weeks ago which certainly indicate a reduced speed limit. Some drivers are obeying it, most are not.

Reduced speed signs are grand but slamming on the brakes right at the site isn't.
    I may go cross country to get some updated pics,a lot of work going on away from existing roads although I did spot a crane at the back of Monart Spa.

They have them at scarawalsh too but no-one takes any notice. People are getting very fed up with the bloody bypass at this stage with all the road closures. The roadworks on the milehouse road don't help either. You'd need to bring sandwiches and a flask if you plan going from Enniscorthy to the Harrow or Marshalstown it's ridiculous at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

They have them at scarawalsh too but no-one takes any notice. People are getting very fed up with the bloody bypass at this stage with all the road closures. The roadworks on the milehouse road don't help either. You'd need to bring sandwiches and a flask if you plan going from Enniscorthy to the Harrow or Marshalstown it's ridiculous at this stage.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Short term pain for long term gain.

If only it was short term, the marshalstown road was due to open in august, the way things are going with these bridges we'll be lucky to see them open before Christmas..

Those 50km areas are lethal, you do the 50 you get murdered from behind by other cars, you pull into the hard shoulder and gardai see you it's two penalty points, you do what is either side of it (100km/h) and there's a speed van I'd say the book be thrown at you for being twice over the limit, I hate hate hate driving through them. Very few obeying them, field day for "go safe"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

vicwatson wrote: »
    Those 50km areas are lethal, you do the 50 you get murdered from behind by other cars, you pull into the hard shoulder and gardai see you it's two penalty points, you do what is either side of it (100km/h) and there's a speed van I'd say the book be thrown at you for being twice over the limit, I hate hate hate driving through them. Very few obeying them, field day for "go safe"

I don't understand this part....? Why would you get points?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

If only it was short term, the marshalstown road was due to open in august, the way things are going with these bridges we'll be lucky to see them open before Christmas..

In terms of a road that will be there for hundreds of years. A few months is very short term

In terms of a road that will be there for hundreds of years. A few months is very short term

That maybe so but they keep pushing back the opening times and closing roads before opening others. It's practically impossible to get to the Harrow from Enniscorthy and the signage is non existent. With the works going on on the milehouse road until October getting to Marshalstown is becoming a half day Safari. I think they underestimated how busy the roads that they closed actually are. Asquintion lane has become a lethal race track particularly in the mornings with stressed out yummy mummy bringing the little darlings to be educated in the toy jeep. They put a bend in the road in Scoby, a road to nowhere that's rarely used, maybe because they're getting water from Tommy Williamson's yard had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

That maybe so but they keep pushing back the opening times and closing roads before opening others. It's practically impossible to get to the Harrow from Enniscorthy and the signage is non existent. With the works going on on the milehouse road until October getting to Marshalstown is becoming a half day Safari. I think they underestimated how busy the roads that they closed actually are. Asquintion lane has become a lethal race track particularly in the mornings with stressed out yummy mummy bringing the little darlings to be educated in the toy jeep. They put a bend in the road in Scoby, a road to nowhere that's rarely used, maybe because they're getting water from Tommy Williamson's yard had something to do with it.

There's no doubt the various road closures are causing disruption but in the context of the huge piece of infrastructure being created and the fact it's almost circling the town the delays are unavoidable. The resurfacing from the Duffry to the Milehouse is probably more inconvenient but in fairness some of the work in Bellefield has been completed overnight. (They are lining the roads outside my house in Bellefield using a stop go system at the moment 10:40pm).

I don't understand why locals (if they're not living with a closed road section) are not taking a wider detour to avoid the works. The Harrow from Enniscorthy is a spin up the N11 to Ferns and a right turn with no disruption. Likewise Marshalstown a spin up the Bunclody road and a left turn. It's takes a little longer but there's no sitting in traffic.

According to the current TII traffic count data the current AADT through Enniscorthy is 16,512 vehicles the majority of which have no need to be driving through the town. I'm happy to put up with some pain for another 18 months to take a big proportion of this traffic especially HGV out of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's no doubt the various road closures are causing disruption but in the context of the huge piece of infrastructure being created and the fact it's almost circling the town the delays are unavoidable. The resurfacing from the Duffry to the Milehouse is probably more inconvenient but in fairness some of the work in Bellefield has been completed overnight. (They are lining the roads outside my house in Bellefield using a stop go system at the moment 10:40pm).

I don't understand why locals (if they're not living with a closed road section) are not taking a wider detour to avoid the works. The Harrow from Enniscorthy is a spin up the N11 to Ferns and a right turn with no disruption. Likewise Marshalstown a spin up the Bunclody road and a left turn. It's takes a little longer but there's no sitting in traffic.

According to the current TII traffic count data the current AADT through Enniscorthy is 16,512 vehicles the majority of which have no need to be driving through the town. I'm happy to put up with some pain for another 18 months to take a big proportion of this traffic especially HGV out of the town.

You think traffic comes through Enniscorthy for the fun of it?

Fair play to the lads doing the milehouse road they're doing a great job under tremendous pressure I've no problem with them. I really can't understand why they closed the Moyne before opening the marshalstown road especially with the works in the milehouse. I just hope to God they don't close the Kiltealy road or it'll be a total disaster, hopefully common sense will prevail and they'll bend the road like they've done in Scoby.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What do you mean, put a bend in the road? Diverted the road around the point where the overbridge will be built?

• Advertisement

blindsider wrote: »
    I don't understand this part....? Why would you get points?

Thought it was for driving in the hard shoulder but think that's just on motorways?

spacetweek wrote: »
    What do you mean, put a bend in the road? Diverted the road around the point where the overbridge will be built?

Yea, like they've done at the gap cross and scoby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thought it was for driving in the hard shoulder but think that's just on motorways?

I believe that the intention of the law was to prevent people skipping long queues of traffic by undertaking along the hard shoulder. Usually in urban areas.
    Often this queue would be for the next exit and driving along the hard shoulder would allow those whose time was more valuable, to skips 10s of cars.
    In order to make that behaviour illegal, they had to enact a law with a wider scope.
    But I would be very surprised if there's ever been a case brought against someone who moved in to allow someone else to pass where it was safe to do so.

josip wrote: »
    I believe that the intention of the law was to prevent people skipping long queues of traffic by undertaking along the hard shoulder. Usually in urban areas.
    Often this queue would be for the next exit and driving along the hard shoulder would allow those whose time was more valuable, to skips 10s of cars.
    In order to make that behaviour illegal, they had to enact a law with a wider scope.
    But I would be very surprised if there's ever been a case brought against someone who moved in to allow someone else to pass where it was safe to do so.

You still get drivers bullying the crap out of you to push over just because you want to drive at the legal speed limit to the left hand side of the road. Sooner they get rid of these 50km/h zones the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

josip wrote: »

One big reason for this rule on motorways is to maintain access for emergeny vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

jd wrote: »
    One big reason for this rule on motorways is to maintain access for emergeny vehicles.

They've a different approach in Germany/Austria.
    https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/hlpd/public/content/6/Seite.0650001.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pNX4AyYE6Y

It feels a bit strange coming from UK/Irl.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A few of these rather impressive beams constructed at the Slaney crossing. Lifting them should be quite an operation.

kneemos wrote: »
    A few of these rather impressive beams constructed at the Slaney crossing. Lifting them should be quite an operation.

Spotted those being lifted onto the site earlier in the week,had a car full and it was too busy on the road to get a picture.I'll probably be passing that way the weekend so I'll try to get a couple more pics to add to yours.

Tried to get some decent photos of the Slaney bridge but security put paid to that. They have a massive crane on the West side of the river. Huge steel on site which is so big it blocks the view from the road. Noticed they have a new underpass built on the east side now.I'll wait until the steel is lifted into place to get pics.

• Advertisement

Work to begin putting those beams in place on the 25 September until 2 October. The work is going to be done at night with the road closed from 9pm to 7am each night to facilitate the installation.

Advertisement