Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I was down at Oilgate , are they seriously bring the motorway to an end before Oilgate , what genius taught that up

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

BoatMad wrote: »
    I was down at Oilgate , are they seriously bring the motorway to an end before Oilgate , what genius taught that up

The same genius who was told that the N11 Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour scheme would be finished a couple of years after. But it didn't work out that way in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

marno21 wrote: »
    The same genius who was told that the N11 Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour scheme would be finished a couple of years after. But it didn't work out that way in reality

All the more reason to go beyond it.
    Unless there was political interference coming from local businesses I can't see any method for their madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

Some posters here have said that by bypassing Oylegate now, they would be limiting their options for the route of the remainder to Rosslare?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kneemos wrote: »
    All the more reason to go beyond it.
    Unless there was political interference coming from local businesses I can't see any method for their madness.

It's very similar in Galway, all traffic was diverted up the exit ramp at Gort as when the Gort-Crusheen scheme started it was thought that Gort-Athenry would be open a year or two after.

The recession turned that into 7 years later. Same with Enniscorthy, it was expected Oilgate-Rosslare would follow shortly. That wasn't the case - Oilgate-Rosslare is looking like 2024-2029 now.

• Advertisement

It's very similar in Galway, all traffic was diverted up the exit ramp at Gort as when the Gort-Crusheen scheme started it was thought that Gort-Athenry would be open a year or two after.

The recession turned that into 7 years later. Same with Enniscorthy, it was expected Oilgate-Rosslare would follow shortly. That wasn't the case - Oilgate-Rosslare is looking like 2024-2029 now.

I pity the residents of Oilgate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

josip wrote: »
    Some posters here have said that by bypassing Oylegate now, they would be limiting their options for the route of the remainder to Rosslare?
    That route has been decided. (200 meter corridor). Congestion has been increasing at the N11/N25 junction (New Ross Roundabout outside Wexford). If they were to do it piecemal, the should probably do from Oylegate to here, but that would mean a new bridge and an improved junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jd wrote: »
    That route has been decided. (200 meter corridor). Congestion has been increasing at the N11/N25 junction (New Ross Roundabout outside Wexford). If they were to do it piecemal, the should probably do from Oylegate to here, but that would mean a new bridge and an improved junction.

I think a 300 metre corridor

Oilgate ain't gonna be a problem in itself and not many businesses there to suffer in the first place, it's after you leave Oilgate southbound it's where it'll get messy with impatient driving etc.

Sorry, yes, 300 meter corridor as I had mentioned earlier in the thread (typo)

vicwatson wrote: »
    I think a 300 metre corridor

Oilgate ain't gonna be a problem in itself and not many businesses there to suffer in the first place, it's after you leave Oilgate southbound it's where it'll get messy with impatient driving etc.

I didnt mentioned business in Oilgate, its the residents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

BoatMad wrote: »
    I didnt mentioned business in Oilgate, its the residents

It'll be a concentrated stream of traffic alright. I can see those traffic lights at the pedestrian crossing being used a lot more. Its a no-brainer to have carried on southbound to beyond Oilgate, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I can't see the rest of the N11 being a huge priority after the new scheme opens. There's too little funding available for far more chronic schemes than to replace a relatively new road that opened in the late 80s/early 90s. Some improvements could be made to Wexford bypass roundabouts and possibly even dual a section if it.
    There's some busier N primaries that haven't changed in alignment since the 50s. It's their turn knowing how slow funding will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

road_high wrote: »
    I can't see the rest of the N11 being a huge priority after the new scheme opens. There's too little funding available for far more chronic schemes than to replace a relatively new road that opened in the late 80s/early 90s. Some improvements could be made to Wexford bypass roundabouts and possibly even dual a section if it.
    There's some busier N primaries that haven't changed in alignment since the 50s. It's their turn knowing how slow funding will be.

True, but under an EU directive, the Rosslare route must be motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    road_high wrote: »

Nice. In that case it should be eligible for EU TEN-T funding.

No, it mustn't. It's TEN-T comprehensive so expressway is sufficient, and this only applies to new builds where level of service drops below a certain level.

Dublin, Cork (Ringaskiddy) and Shannon-Foynes are the Core ports in Ireland. Brexit may lead to a change in this but as it stands Rosslare is comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

No, it mustn't. It's TEN-T comprehensive so expressway is sufficient, and this only applies to new builds where level of service drops below a certain level.

Dublin, Cork (Ringaskiddy) and Shannon-Foynes are the Core ports in Ireland. Brexit may lead to a change in this but as it stands Rosslare is comprehensive.

Ah ok my bad! I thought that it was core and there was a directive from Europe saying all major ports must be connected by motorway!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Ah ok my bad! I thought that it was core and there was a directive from Europe saying all major ports must be connected by motorway!

High quality roads is the key phrase they use; sure the N69 new build from the new N21 to Foynes will be single carriageway, and it's leading to a core port.

The fact that it will be be a grade-seperated single carriageway is sufficiently high standard, in their eyes, seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And the last upgrade early 90s was majorly EU funded at the time, I remember my dad talking about it. How they (N11 and N25) were "euro routes" and that meant extra EU funding at the time.
    And the likes of the N20, N21, N24 etc have huge sections that were barely touched in that time. Further N11 is rock bottom of my list anyhow, I'm only early 30s and I can remember the current N11 being built...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 viper87

vicwatson wrote: »
    It'll be a concentrated stream of traffic alright. I can see those traffic lights at the pedestrian crossing being used a lot more. Its a no-brainer to have carried on southbound to beyond Oilgate, however.
    The bypass of oilgate is included in the oilgate to rosslare section which is at route selection stage (https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/roads-travel-and-parking/national-roads-projects/n11n25-oilgate-rosslare-harbour). The last km of the Enniscorthy bypass on the oilgate side will be 2+1 with a speed limit of 100km/h. With a roundabout on the current N11

viper87 wrote: »
    The bypass of oilgate is included in the oilgate to rosslare section which is at route selection stage

The route has been selected (300 meter corridor)
    https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/sites/default/files/content/roads/Preferred%20Route%20Corridor%20Maps.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

0Aj.jpg

And now.Sorry for the fuzzy image.

0yN.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I see a partial skin of tar on the bridge at the gap cross, it looks very narrow. Work is finally starting to be done on the Oulart road at Finchogue. They're back at the bridge on the Marshlstown road in earnest, not before time considering it was supposed to be open in August!!

0Aj.jpg

And now.Sorry for the fuzzy image.

0yN.jpg

Any idea what those arches are foe?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kneemos wrote: »
    Any idea what those arches are foe?

That's a flood plain,they'll build up over the arches which are there to allow water through when the river floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

That's a flood plain,they'll build up over the arches which are there to allow water through when the river floods.
    Wow! Planning! Is this Ireland we're talking about? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

serfboard wrote: »
    Wow! Planning! Is this Ireland we're talking about? ;)

That piece of land has been regularly under 10 feet of water, they've been so lucky building this road there's hardly been a drop of rain to speak of.

very obvious earthworks just be the end of the current M11 now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Bridge under construction at the urrin river 06/10/17IMAG6700_zpsvtx8f81p.jpg2IMAG6701_zpswktphh18.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Close up of the archesIMAG6044_zpsjglzada1.jpg2IMAG6046_zps0xbfgcoh.jpg

• Advertisement

They're purely to preserve the little critters presumably? Like those bat caves they built everywhere.

Advertisement