Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Well I can certainly imagine that the N30 element could open on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What do we think will happen during morning commuting hours?
    Will this cause traffic to worsen at Glen of the Downs as people will be more certain about how long it takes to get past enniscourthy ferns etc

Is there really that many people commuting from south of Enniscorthy to Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The tailback is normally going south in the morning.

And the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭prunudo

What do we think will happen during morning commuting hours?
    Will the new road cause traffic to worsen at Glen of the Downs as people will be more certain about how long it takes to get past enniscourthy ferns etc

If the problem in the Glen of the Downs gets worse due to this project we really do have an issue with planning in this country from both infrastructure and housing/employment needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One new bridge taking shape at the Finchogue interchange, you'd nearly miss it driving past as it's on the same level as the existing road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

One new bridge taking shape at the Finchogue interchange, you'd nearly miss it driving past as it's on the same level as the existing road.

I noticed that this evening. The dual carriageway is really taking shape at the gap cross I got 2 pics as the light was just right I'll put them up tomorrow. With the big improvement in the weather there'll be a strong push to gets things moving again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It’s so frustrating that there are so few progress pics of this scheme. If I lived in Enniscorthy I’d get myself a drone and get pics.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It’s so frustrating that there are so few progress pics of this scheme. If I lived in Enniscorthy I’d get myself a drone and get pics.

It's very difficult to access the works, there was a lot of equipment damaged/stolen, diesel being robbed etc so the security guys are very aggressive if you approach it at all. In some of the places the road is completely blocked with wire from ditch to ditch making it impossible to even see the works never mind photograph it. Anyway, here's my two pics,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18gP9bpJ5ZSR140eer9vrAsW_gr4tq2lulg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15l4aUuvRUEDtu-MR7yHU23rnMZFJziLUJA/view?usp=sharing

JupiterKid wrote: »

High ditches and rolling hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Simple fact is its a building site and the public is not permitted to enter.
    If someone was in taking photos and got injured, the contractors would be in serious bother.
    That being said, after seeing the way m17 documented the M17/18, there's a good case to be made that perhaps an amatuer photographer could be inducted on site to provide regular updates. It would keep the public updated and provide an interesting catalogue of photos for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

jca wrote: »
    It's very difficult to access the works, there was a lot of equipment damaged/stolen, diesel being robbed etc so the security guys are very aggressive if you approach it at all. In some of the places the road is completely blocked with wire from ditch to ditch making it impossible to even see the works never mind photograph it. Anyway, here's my two pics,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18gP9bpJ5ZSR140eer9vrAsW_gr4tq2lulg/view?usp=sharing

Nice pic, but think it's the same one twice?

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Nice pic, but think it's the same one twice?

Changed it:o Thanks for that I never noticed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

marno21 wrote: »
    Is there really that many people commuting from south of Enniscorthy to Dublin ?

personally I wouldn't say theres many actually commuting south for Arklow in my experience, the feed-in from Arklow North is where the vast majority of traffic comes from

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I was was down that way recently, I cant beleive the idea that the motorway terminate before Oilgate , sheer madness

BoatMad wrote: »
    I was was down that way recently, I cant beleive the idea that the motorway terminate before Oilgate , sheer madness

Everyone's agreed on that.
    Even if it was for a short period while it was extended beyond Oilgate (probably never happen) it's still lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

It will definitely be extended past Oilgate all the way to Rosslare Harbour if the reports of new freight ferry routes to Zebrugge and Rotterdam are anything to go by. They will operate out of Rosslare quite soon and will allow trucks to by pass UK mainland which will no doubt be a total mess at their cross channel ports after Brexit.
    M11 will see a big increase in HGV traffic as a result. Motorway extension is inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

betistuc wrote: »
    It will definitely be extended past Oilgate all the way to Rosslare Harbour if the reports of new freight ferry routes to Zebrugge and Rotterdam are anything to go by. They will operate out of Rosslare quite soon and will allow trucks to by pass UK mainland which will no doubt be a total mess at their cross channel ports after Brexit.
    M11 will see a big increase in HGV traffic as a result. Motorway extension is inevitable

Is there much of a business case for using Rosslare as the nearest European port versus going to Dublin or Cork where the majority of the end consumers are?
    How much time will it save?
    Are port costs significantly different?
    Will there be any freight impact/opportunity for the near-derelict rail line from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

betistuc wrote: »
    It will definitely be extended past Oilgate all the way to Rosslare Harbour if the reports of new freight ferry routes to Zebrugge and Rotterdam are anything to go by.
    Any links to those reports, or is it word of mouth at the moment?

• Advertisement

Why would they bypass Dublin and put cargo on a trailer back to Dublin?

Sounds like nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

josip wrote: »
    Is there much of a business case for using Rosslare as the nearest European port versus going to Dublin or Cork where the majority of the end consumers are?
    How much time will it save?
    Are port costs significantly different?
    Will there be any freight impact/opportunity for the near-derelict rail line from this?

Saves four hours on a ship versus two hours by road.. Doubles the cost of delivery from the ship to end destination.. makes next to now sense

Railfreight would also be unlikely as the south east line is very limited operationally and there isn’t a whole lot of business to justify train loads of tanks and containers on a regular basis

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Saves four hours on a ship versus two hours by road.. Doubles the cost of delivery from the ship to end destination.. makes next to now sense

Depends on where the truck start from - or finishes.

Much easier to get anywhere from Dublin.
    Even Cork is easier and quicker than from Rosslare.

Can't see an logic in having it as a freight port.

More precast bridge sections being transported through Enniscorthy yesterday,they headed out towards the N30 section.

More precast bridge sections being transported through Enniscorthy yesterday,they headed out towards the N30 section.

There's a crane dropping the sections into place at the old N30. I tried getting a few pics but it's just so muddy after the terrible weather I had to abandon the exercise.

jca wrote: »
    There's a crane dropping the sections into place at the old N30. I tried getting a few pics but it's just so muddy after the terrible weather I had to abandon the exercise.

It's amazing how much of the project is tucked away into the landscape. I went up to Vinegar Hill before as I thought I'd have a good vantage point to see the scale of it. You can see virtually none of it even from that height.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This was posted by BAM today

• Advertisement

Got a whisper last week that Glenteigue was close to opening, took a spin down there today and begod she’s open alright. It’s a very impressive structure indeed, it was busy so I couldn’t stop to get a photo but I’ll try and get one over the weekend. I see McGuires trucks driving on what will be the new road, it’s starting to come together now.

Advertisement