Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

This was posted by BAM today

Bolting sections together without any support underneath doesn't look right. Guess they're the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

kneemos wrote: »
    Bolting sections together without any support underneath doesn't look right. Guess they're the experts.

Thought the crane had them held until bolted no?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thought the crane had them held until bolted no?

Yeah,but there's nothing supporting them.
    Looks odd,no doubt it's cosher.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I was wondering how the works at the old Art Butler site were going so I went past the "road closed " signs earlier today ( from the Killanne / Caim side ) and took a few pictures - looking towards Enniscorthy / Monart .

The road under the new bridge has been given a new surface -

448929.jpg

448930.jpg

Below are two wider shots -

448931.jpg

448932.jpg

Apologies for the image quality , they were taken with my phone .

When this section was closed , the signs said it would be closed until the end of April , so hopefully it'll be open soon .
    Not sure if it's on schedule or not .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

That's looking good they're really starting to join it up now. I think they lost a week because of the snow it'll probably be open in early May. There's great work going on over the old N30 the bones of an overpass are in place, it looks like the old road is going over the new link road. I was on the Gorey bypass earlier and you can see the shape of the slip road that will become the exit for Gorey. The shape of the new road is clearly visible now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Flying back from Portugal on Sunday, I took these photos. In the 1st one you can see the northern half of the M11 and the new N80. The tie in to the existing M11 is just out of shot at the top.
    In the 2nd one you can clearly see the N80/M11 junction taking shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just past where the bridge over the Slaney is in place, Irish Rail are doing massive work along the line. For a line that's rumoured to be closing,they sure are pumping a lot of money into it.
    Perhaps the bypass work will spark more investment in the region ( Rosslare Port Upgrade) and this is why the rail line is being done in tandem with the bypass work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Just past where the bridge over the Slaney is in place, Irish Rail are doing massive work along the line. For a line that's rumoured to be closing,they sure are pumping a lot of money into it.
    Perhaps the bypass work will spark more investment in the region ( Rosslare Port Upgrade) and this is why the rail line is being done in tandem with the bypass work.
    It's frequently said on the rail forum that when IE want to close a line they pump massive amounts of money into it to create even bigger losses to strengthen their case - how true this is I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

marno21 wrote: »
    It's frequently said on the rail forum that when IE want to close a line they pump massive amounts of money into it to create even bigger losses to strengthen their case - how true this is I don't know.

It can't be true. Losses are calculated against current expenditure, i.e. running costs, staffing, load factor etc, not against the capital used to build or upgrade the line in the first place. Limerick to Galway is a good example.

The bypass might be the saviour of the rail line ironically. If we get more commuters down this end they might lay on better services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

Is it not quicker to use a bus?

About two hours either way I think.
    Given a choice I'd be on the train,particularly for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

spacetweek wrote: »
    Flying back from Portugal on Sunday, I took these photos. In the 1st one you can see the northern half of the M11 and the new N80. The tie in to the existing M11 is just out of shot at the top.
    In the 2nd one you can clearly see the N80/M11 junction taking shape.

Nice pics from 30,000 feet spacetweek good work

Bridge spans being lifted into place on the N30 section at Ballyorrill.

I just had another look down at the old Art Butlers site .

The newly resurfaced road has had road markings added and they're in the process at tidying the edges of the road / verges .

449275.jpg

Apologies for the rubbish picture , taken with my phone , and tried not to get workers in the shot :)

Can't be too long before it's reopened ( hopefully )

Concrete pumping going on at the Slaney bridge. Too hard to stop and get a pic due to the amount of Casey concrete lorries and traffic control.

Monart 24/04/18
    IMAG12202_zpsho3j7khk.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Beautiful picture

m17 wrote: »
    Monart 24/04/18
    IMAG12202_zpsho3j7khk.jpg

It's really starting to take shape now. Had a peek over the bridge at the gap cross they're up to surface level now. It's much bendier than I thought it would be, some of the bend's look quite tight.

jca wrote: »
    It's really starting to take shape now. Had a peek over the bridge at the gap cross they're up to surface level now. It's much bendier than I thought it would be, some of the bend's look quite tight.

Wait until the tarmac goes down it won't look as tight and this time next year it will all most be ready for opening and we'll all wonder what all the fuss was about and it's really going to open up Co wexford

• Advertisement

Well ,
    The road at Bessmount/Kiltrea / the old Art Butler's site has reopened to traffic :)

I noticed a few minutes ago that the "Road Closed " signs were gone so had a look.

Looking towards Enniscorthy -

449463.jpg

Looking away from Enniscorthy -

449464.jpg

Apologies for the crappy phone pictures :)

Apologies for the crappy phone pictures
    There is no need to apologise any pics are better than nothing

There is no need to apologise any pics are better than nothing

Thanks .

If I'd known the road was going to be open I would have brought a decent camera with me :)

My phone's camera (Oppo R7s ) isn't too bad for general shots but landscapes / wide countryside shots aren't it's forte , and it looses clarity when using zoom .

Drone shots of the m11 March 18

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Amazing footage M17. The mainline is now well established and many structures either complete or underway.
    However there is a huge amount of earthmoving,  compacting and levelling still to be done in the middle and southern sections.
    The sudden ending on the N17 north of Oylegate looks horrendous. Presumably this will be a roundabout ?

VR6 wrote: »
    Amazing footage M17. The mainline is now well established and many structures either complete or underway.
    However there is a huge amount of earthmoving,  compacting and levelling still to be done in the middle and southern sections.
    The sudden ending on the N17 north of Oylegate looks horrendous. Presumably this will be a roundabout ?

That footage was filmed in March a lot has been done since then, many sections are now at base level. Yes the end will be a roundabout. South of the gap cross they're working seven days a week flat out.

There's now site access and egress on the M11 Gorey Bypass. Speed limits of 50kph there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Drone shots of the m11 March 18

@12:20 lol at the two boys

Drone survey of the n80-n30

• Advertisement

There's been huge progress on the N30 section in the last couple of months since that video was shot, another section is pretty much ready for the base course of tarmac.

Advertisement