Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

From the people paper this week (online)

"Cllr Willie Kavanagh.

WHILE work on the M11 Enniscorthy bypass has been continuing at some pace ahead of its planned opening this summer, plans are already afoot for the next stage of the road network.

Oylegate based councillor Willie Kavanagh last week welcomed the news that Wexford County Council had been granted €800,000 in funding to progress planning and design work on an extension of the M11 between Oylegate and Rosslare Harbour.

Initially, many questioned the decision to halt the M11 bypass North of Oylegate and there were fears that Oylegate would become somewhat of a bottleneck once the new stretch of road opens. However, with the latest funding allocated, it seems like plans are in place to bypass Oylegate further down the line.

While some business owners in the village previously expressed their opposition to a bypass of Oylegate, Cllr Kavanagh, who also owns The Slaney Inn there, has previously stated it is vital.

‘I welcome the news that the TII has granted €800,000 in funding to Wexford County Council,’ he said.

‘It’s absolutely vital that the design plans protect the future of Oylegate. There’s a lot of uncertainty about what will happen when the Enniscorthy bypass opens, making Oylegate the only urban centre between Belfast and Rosslare Europort. Advancing plans to extend the bypass from Oylegate to Rosslare Harbour will help to allay concerns.’"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

vicwatson wrote: »

"Cllr Willie Kavanagh.

WHILE work on the M11 Enniscorthy bypass has been continuing at some pace ahead of its planned opening this summer, plans are already afoot for the next stage of the road network.

Oylegate based councillor Willie Kavanagh last week welcomed the news that Wexford County Council had been granted €800,000 in funding to progress planning and design work on an extension of the M11 between Oylegate and Rosslare Harbour.

Initially, many questioned the decision to halt the M11 bypass North of Oylegate and there were fears that Oylegate would become somewhat of a bottleneck once the new stretch of road opens. However, with the latest funding allocated, it seems like plans are in place to bypass Oylegate further down the line.

While some business owners in the village previously expressed their opposition to a bypass of Oylegate, Cllr Kavanagh, who also owns The Slaney Inn there, has previously stated it is vital.

‘I welcome the news that the TII has granted €800,000 in funding to Wexford County Council,’ he said.

‘It’s absolutely vital that the design plans protect the future of Oylegate. There’s a lot of uncertainty about what will happen when the Enniscorthy bypass opens, making Oylegate the only urban centre between Belfast and Rosslare Europort. Advancing plans to extend the bypass from Oylegate to Rosslare Harbour will help to allay concerns.’"

You don't often hear Oylgate and "Urban Centre" in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

loyatemu wrote: »

Everyone goes there for the cheap coal. Me included.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Everyone goes there for the cheap coal. Me included.:)

Jimmy is some character!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

loyatemu wrote: »
    I decided to have a look at this. Behold the "Urban Centre" of Oylegate:
    473117.png
    (From Google Maps)

OK, so I took a less than complimentary vista - please forgive me Wexfordians!

My justification is that the owner of The Slaney Inn (shown in the picture) used the term "Urban Centre".

By way of apology let me say that I'm sure that it's a lovely village, and I do agree with it being bypassed - otherwise it will become a nightmare for residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oilgate or Oylegate?

On English maps it says "Oilgate"

One almost gets the impression it's a mecca like Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

Very disappointed to learn truth :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

kneemos wrote: »

It's already been stated by the Taoiseach that all of the transport infrastructure budget cut is coming from the €27m that was supposed to go towards the A5 in the North.

It's already been stated by the Taoiseach that all of the transport infrastructure budget cut is coming from the €27m that was supposed to go towards the A5 in the North.

Varadker was talking current funding,Ross is talking long term presumably.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Varadker was talking current funding,Ross is talking long term presumably.

This was posted earlier in the Oilgate to Rosslare thread.
    Phases 1 to 4 out to tender for this scheme

• Advertisement

This was posted earlier in the Oilgate to Rosslare thread.

Yeah I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

vicwatson wrote: »

"Cllr Willie Kavanagh.

In short.

We would have left it as is, but then. You know brexit became serious so we needed to run right the way down . Funding didn't matter. Rosslare to Dublin vital route now where is wasn't before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

listermint wrote: »
    In short.

We would have left it as is, but then. You know brexit became serious so we needed to run right the way down . Funding didn't matter. Rosslare to Dublin vital route now where is wasn't before.

But that's where Willie either has his head in the clouds or is intentionally misleading.
    Rosslare is only a 'Europort' in name.
    It's relatively unimportant nowadays from a shipping point of view.
    The population of Wexford town would probably be a bigger justification for extending past Oilgate.

josip wrote: »
    But that's where Willie either has his head in the clouds or is intentionally misleading.
    Rosslare is only a 'Europort' in name.
    It's relatively unimportant nowadays from a shipping point of view.
    The population of Wexford town would probably be a bigger justification for extending past Oilgate.

Erm

You are aware of march ... Right ?

Just to be clear

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Guarantee Oilgate won't be bypassed for at least a decade. The current pace of road building is glacial with a ton of more pressing projects allover the country. The N11 has gotten a ton of investment. It'll go down the priority list once the new stretch opens.

road_high wrote: »
    Guarantee Oilgate won't be bypassed for at least a decade. The current pace of road building is glacial with a ton of more pressing projects allover the country. The N11 has gotten a ton of investment. It'll go down the priority list once the new stretch opens.

I'm afraid the Brits have rewritten the plans

Look back up a few posts where I've linked to shipping tonnage and road counters.
    It's no longer the 1800s where the shortest sea routes were the most sought after.
    Shipping directly to the major population centres where the largest market for traded goods is the key now.

josip wrote: »
    Look back up a few posts where I've linked to shipping tonnage and road counters.
    It's no longer the 1800s where the shortest sea routes were the most sought after.
    Shipping directly to the major population centres where the largest market for traded goods is the key now.

Thats bull, especially where capacity of port is concerned. Dublin cannot cater for the volume required. Under no circumstances can Dublin cater for it. Rerouting is key. Why do you think there had been large scale development in rosslare preplanning. It's not just for the crack.

Thats bull, especially where capacity of port is concerned. Dublin cannot cater for the volume required. Under no circumstances can Dublin cater for it. Rerouting is key. Why do you think there had been large scale development in rosslare preplanning. It's not just for the crack.

Howlin.
    Dublin is expanding. Rosslare is contracting.
    Even the French passenger roro volume is shifting to Dublin.

If the worst happens there might be some diversions to Rosslare until it sorts itself out.

• Advertisement

That’s only a maybe. And in all likelihood no deal will only bring temp disruptions and then back to the trade patterns built up over the past 50 years. Rosslare will contine on as is. No need to go immediately rebuilding a new N11 to replace what opened circa 1990.
    Some other N roads haven’t been upgraded once since the 50s and are higher priority. And are busier.
    They could do some work on the Wexford bypass roundabouts and it’ll be perfectly fine for another blast.

If the worst happens there might be some diversions to Rosslare until it sorts itself out.

The diversions are already in place for the worst case scenario.
    The Celine and Delphine are operating out of Dublin.
    https://afloat.ie/port-news/dublin-port/item/38548-giant-ro-ro-sister-makes-debut-in-dublin-port-on-direct-ireland-euro-route

[OT]
    Lads, the highlight of my Irish summer for 10 years was the annual trip to Rosslare on a Sunday evening to watch the French boat come in after a hard day around Lady's island.
    Marvel at the size of the ropes and the tension on them as they were wound in.
    Walk along the railway tracks by the old run down platform and up to the lighthouse until eventually the boat departed in what was left of the August light.
    Rosslare was an exotic place for me, a physical connection to the unimaginable wonders of continental Europe.
    But we all have to accept that those days are gone and that time has moved on.
    [/OT]

That’s only a maybe. And in all likelihood no deal will only bring temp disruptions and then back to the trade patterns built up over the past 50 years. Rosslare will contine on as is. No need to go immediately rebuilding a new N11 to replace what opened circa 1990.
    Some other N roads haven’t been upgraded once since the 50s and are higher priority. And are busier.
    They could do some work on the Wexford bypass roundabouts and it’ll be perfectly fine for another blast.

Enniscorthy Carlow is busier than the Enniscorthy to Wexford road I think I read somewhere.
    Waterford Cork is another nightmare journey.

Enniscorthy Carlow is busier than the Enniscorthy to Wexford road I think I read somewhere.

And there was I thinking nobody ever read any stuff I posted :D
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109399947&postcount=1456
    Thanks kneemos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

It (7k) may be busier than Wexford - Rosslare (5k entrance to port) but it is not busier than Enniscorthy Wexford (13k)

jd wrote: »
    It (7k) may be busier than Wexford - Rosslare (5k entrance to port) but it is not busier than Enniscorthy Wexford (13k)

This is why I think the Wexford town population and associated traffic is a bigger justification of continuing past Oilgate than Rosslare-bound traffic.

jd wrote: »

Yes and most of enniscorthy to Wexford is being converted to motorway, it was only upgraded early 90s. The short distance from Oilgate to Wexford is not a critical bottle neck and still won’t be after the M11 opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

From the looks of it over the last few years priority seems to be simply given to whichever projects tend to be shovel ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

serfboard wrote: »
    I decided to have a look at this. Behold the "Urban Centre" of Oylegate:

By way of apology let me say that I'm sure that it's a lovely village, and I do agree with it being bypassed - otherwise it will become a nightmare for residents.

Maybe I'm the only one but I am one of those that disagree that Oilgate/Oylegate will become a bottle neck.

Take the end of the current M11 at Clogh roundabout, people thought the same about Camolin, yes, it's slow through there, but it's a village, but IME traffic is always flowing and never really a problem - I've been down there at all times of the day and on different days, never really a problem. Same will happen through Oilgate/Oylegate imo.

The Gorey by-pass is almost empty most of the time, and so will the Enniscorthy by pass be.

The big win will be the removal of Enniscorthy from the main road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

M20 Cork Limerick is surely near the top of the priority list.

A totally substandard road between the countries' second and third largest cities.

Advertisement