Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Last Stop wrote: »
    Odds on BAM submitting a claim for this?

Odds on night following day?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Cutting it fine to be open on Thursday. Still working on the roundabout at Oylgate and haven't finished putting up baffles either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Last Stop wrote: »
    Odds on BAM submitting a claim for this?

BAM have been responding to the protests as they happen, where work has been stopped, and have promised action to the complainants but have done the absolute minimum. As soon as the protest is withdrawn they go back to ignoring the issue.
    Do I think they have grounds for submitting a claim?... No. Do I think they will? ... Absolutely.
    What's more I don't believe our corrupt politicians will put up much opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

kneemos wrote: »
    Cutting it fine to be open on Thursday. Still working on the roundabout at Oylgate and haven't finished putting up baffles either.

The Oylegate roundabout has been in use for several weeks now so no reason to prevent the opening of the Motorway. It will continue on as is and if that means with bollards etc so be it. The only part of the roundabout not used at the minute is the exit point to the Motorway and I doubt that is going to prevent access. There will be plenty of works going on post opening date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

So will we be able to drive the bypass from Thursday?

If so, what time Thirsday can we start driving on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So will we be able to drive the bypass from Thursday?

If so, what time Thirsday can we start driving on it?

Nobody seems to know,I heard it's open to the public on Friday.
    Thursday is just the ribbon cutting exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

From the AA Roadwatch website:
    WEXFORD: A reduced speed limit of 50kmph and lane restrictions are in place for works on the N11 at the Scarawalsh R/A north of Enniscorthy until tomorrow (18th) at 3:30pm.

That suggests tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

From the AA Roadwatch website:
    WEXFORD: A reduced speed limit of 50kmph and lane restrictions are in place for works on the N11 at the Scarawalsh R/A north of Enniscorthy until tomorrow (18th) at 3:30pm.

That suggests tomorrow afternoon.

Midday according to this from a local paper

“MO­TORISTS will breathe a sigh of re­lief with the open­ing of the new by­pass from Gorey to south of En­nis­cor­thy this Thurs­day (July 18).
    The new mo­tor­way sec­tion, which will be opened by An Taoiseach Leo Varad­kar at around mid­day Thurs­day, is ex­pected to shave 15 min­utes off Wex­ford/Dublin travel times at off-peak times, and 30 min­utes at peak times.
    The by­pass, re­liev­ing traf­fic con­ges­tion in Ferns, Camolin and En­nis­cor­thy, con­sists of 42 kilo­me­tres of new road in to­tal, and runs from the end of the Gorey By­pass at Clogh to the town­land of Scur­lock­bush, south of En­nis­cor­thy.
    Con­struc­tion on the M11 Gorey-to-Ennsi­cor­thy scheme started in Oc­to­ber 2015.
    It in­cor­po­rates a new 27km mo­tor­way, an 8km sin­gle car­riage­way by­pass to the west of En­nis­cor­thy, a 4km dual car­riage­way sec­tion link­ing the old N11 and N80 with the new mo­tor­way that crosses the River Slaney and as­so­ci­ated side-road im­prove­ments.
    It also in­cludes a to­tal of 28 new bridges, 48 cul­verts which al­low for cross­ing the nu­mer­ous streams and rivers that ex­ist at the area, and 29 ac­cess struc­tures that al­low for all the landown­ers to main­tain ac­cess to their prop­er­ties and land­hold­ings.”

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

vicwatson wrote: »
    Midday according to this from a local paper

“MO­TORISTS will breathe a sigh of re­lief with the open­ing of the new by­pass from Gorey to south of En­nis­cor­thy this Thurs­day (July 18).
    The new mo­tor­way sec­tion, which will be opened by An Taoiseach Leo Varad­kar at around mid­day Thurs­day, is ex­pected to shave 15 min­utes off Wex­ford/Dublin travel times at off-peak times, and 30 min­utes at peak times.
    The by­pass, re­liev­ing traf­fic con­ges­tion in Ferns, Camolin and En­nis­cor­thy, con­sists of 42 kilo­me­tres of new road in to­tal, and runs from the end of the Gorey By­pass at Clogh to the town­land of Scur­lock­bush, south of En­nis­cor­thy.
    Con­struc­tion on the M11 Gorey-to-Ennsi­cor­thy scheme started in Oc­to­ber 2015.
    It in­cor­po­rates a new 27km mo­tor­way, an 8km sin­gle car­riage­way by­pass to the west of En­nis­cor­thy, a 4km dual car­riage­way sec­tion link­ing the old N11 and N80 with the new mo­tor­way that crosses the River Slaney and as­so­ci­ated side-road im­prove­ments.
    It also in­cludes a to­tal of 28 new bridges, 48 cul­verts which al­low for cross­ing the nu­mer­ous streams and rivers that ex­ist at the area, and 29 ac­cess struc­tures that al­low for all the landown­ers to main­tain ac­cess to their prop­er­ties and land­hold­ings.”

The PR stunt will likely be at midday, then they'll have to clear all the people involved off the motorway and open it in the afternoon.

The 3:30 above looks fairly realistic.

marno21 wrote: »
    The PR stunt will likely be at midday, then they'll have to clear all the people involved off the motorway and open it in the afternoon.

The 3:30 above looks fairly realistic.

Hardly take 3 and a half hours to do that:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hardly take 3 and a half hours to do that:confused:
    The last time this happened, for the M17/M18, it took longer than that if IIRC. Ceremony in the morning and opened at 4.

The last time this happened, for the M17/M18, it took longer than that if IIRC. Ceremony in the morning and opened at 4.

I suppose the way politicians rattle on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

A long time to sweep up the champagne corks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Probably a walking-speed drive to check for any final debris (people, stones, champagne corks, anything) then a final ok and off you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Probably a walking-speed drive to check for any final debris (people, stones, champagne corks, anything) then a final ok and off you go.

And that’ll be the last check it EVER gets considering some of the stuff I’ve seen on duellers and motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Andrew33 wrote: »
    And that’ll be the last check it EVER gets considering some of the stuff I’ve seen on duellers and motorways.

That's not true, Bam are in charge of keeping the roads safe and clean, all embankments trimmed etc for 3 years after its opened.

Anyone taking bets on how soon it'll be before someone drives the wrong way on it?

Or when we'll see cyclists on it, which is common enough up Gorey way.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Anyone taking bets on how soon it'll be before someone drives the wrong way on it?

Or when we'll see cyclists on it, which is common enough up Gorey way.

I'll give it until teatime...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I think it's an odds-on certainty that a vintage car will feature in the photos!

Which end is it opening from? Clough or Oilgate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Andrew33 wrote:

Our motorways are constantly patrolled by full time dedicated crews as either PPP contracts or MMaRC contracts. The verges are trimmed more often than my own garden, I'm on the motorway network every week and I've yet to not see a maintenance crew at work somewhere.

Take a spin up to Northern Ireland, you'll soon see the difference when very little or no maintenance is carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Which end is it opening from? Clough or Oilgate?

I would imagine Clough since it's less far for the Dublin lot to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Our motorways are constantly patrolled by full time dedicated crews as either PPP contracts or MMaRC contracts. The verges are trimmed more often than my own garden, I'm on the motorway network every week and I've yet to not see a maintenance crew at work somewhere.

Take a spin up to Northern Ireland, you'll soon see the difference when very little or no maintenance is carried out.

Lighten up everyone, my comment was firmly tongue in cheek.
    As to your reference to NI roads, I travel them regularly and they’re as tidy and well maintained as any of our roads (in fact I’d say they’re better).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Andrew33 wrote:
    Lighten up everyone, my comment was firmly tongue in cheek. As to your reference to NI roads, I travel them regularly and they’re as tidy and well maintained as any of our roads (in fact I’d say they’re better).

I'd strongly disagree with you there, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Lighten up everyone, my comment was firmly tongue in cheek.
    As to your reference to NI roads, I travel them regularly and they’re as tidy and well maintained as any of our roads (in fact I’d say they’re better).

Absolutely no way NI roads are better than ours I was shocked at how much they had deteriorated as I hadn't been up there in about 5 years. The dual carriageways are like something from the 70's, traffic crossing the four lanes from side roads to enter, I have to admit it took me a while to get used to seeing cars creeping into the outside lane I haven't seen that in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Absolutely no way NI roads are better than ours I was shocked at how much they had deteriorated as I hadn't been up there in about 5 years. The dual carriageways are like something from the 70's, traffic crossing the four lanes from side roads to enter, I have to admit it took me a while to get used to seeing cars creeping into the outside lane I haven't seen that in years.

They have deteriorated badly over the last 20 years due to cuts in the Stormont budget. You can see this in the countryside especially

Even the traffic lights in Oylegate have been replaced in preparation for the opening.

Mapalerter is just giving this afternoon as opening time.

According to AA Roadwatch, M11 and link to Scarawalsh to open at approx 4pm today. N30 link to open “in the coming weeks”

According to AA Roadwatch, M11 and link to Scarawalsh to open at approx 4pm today. N30 link to open “in the coming weeks”

Just spoke to one of the lads at the roundabout at the Oilgate end, and he says they'll be lucky to have it ready by 4.

He also said the N30 part won't open today.... apparantly it isn't ready.

Uggghhh.....

• Advertisement

Just spoke to one of the lads at the roundabout at the Oilgate end, and he says they'll be lucky to have it ready by 4.

He also said the N30 part won't open today.... apparantly it isn't ready.

Uggghhh.....

There were protests on the N30 section which held them up.

Advertisement