Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Jayuu wrote: »
    Because I live nowhere near Oilgate/Oylegate I don't see any reason why I would participate in a public consultation process on the route. I expect I would only use the road between 4 and 5 times a year (as I have family in Wexford). I'm simply documenting my experience with it yesterday. Sorry if that upsets you but it's my honest opinion.

Ummm.... I posted that comment way before you told us of your experience so it was not in response to anything you said.

I wasn't aware that the traffic lights were new but personally I think there's no need for them or they should be definitely sequenced to give maximum time to the mainline traffic. While there probably is an increase in traffic back on the N11 (as some traffic used to come off at Gorey for the back road to Wexford to avoid Enniscorthy) but I doubt it's enough to actually have a major impact on the village.

100% agree, I really don't think the volume of traffic will increase by that much either. It's not like all of the traffic on that road is being diverted, plenty will still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jayuu wrote: »
    Cheers for the update. I didn't know Oilgate-Rosslare was back on the agenda at all.

Yeh, all the work that was done 9/10 years ago is being done all over again. All they have to do is dust off the reports from then but oh no let’s spend more taxpayers money redoing what we’ve done :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WEX98

It's not sign posted Enniscorthy just Blackwater to keep traffic from using Temple Shannon, but yes quicker if going East side of Enniscorthy, that is until the new bridge is built as part of the flood relief scheme, then you would have to travel down as far as the old St Senan's hospital to cross the Slaley via the new bridge.

IsaBrown wrote: »
    Agree also. Driven it a few times now, cautiously, as its not clear it two way. Needs directional road markings at least ASAP.

Yes very dangerous, had a car driving beside me for about 500m before they realised that they were on the wrong side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Is it just me or does the bypass not serve Enniscorthy very well. Both the N80 and the roundabout leave you very far away from the town. Would a link road like the one in the picture not work better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

Last Stop wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the bypass not serve Enniscorthy very well. Both the N80 and the roundabout leave you very far away from the town. Would a link road like the one in the picture not work better?

Not only the people of Enniscorthy, but there's little benefit to N30 bound traffic also.
    It benefits Wexford to Dublin/Bunclody traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yes in a sense but then you'd have to think of what to do with the N30 link road. Asking traffic to then drive back up to the N30 link road where it has been built wouldn't be the best, and you would have to do a lot of demolition to just continue it from where you suggest.

Yes in a sense but then you'd have to think of what to do with the N30 link road. Asking traffic to then drive back up to the N30 link road where it has been built wouldn't be the best, and you would have to do a lot of demolition to just continue it from where you suggest.

I meant adding it as an extra to the current scheme. It’s only 2km and would open lots of potential development land

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yeh, all the work that was done 9/10 years ago is being done all over again. All they have to do is dust off the reports from then but oh no let’s spend more taxpayers money redoing what we’ve done :rolleyes:

They have a preferred route, only it's a 300m wide corridor, so need to narrow it down....fine tune as far as I know.

WEX98 wrote: »
    They have a preferred route, only it's a 300m wide corridor, so need to narrow it down....fine tune as far as I know.

Maps on Wexford Co Co

wexfordcoco.ie/roads-travel-and-parking/national-roads-projects/n11n25-oilgate-rosslare-harbour/maps

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Not only the people of Enniscorthy, but there's little benefit to N30 bound traffic also.
    It benefits Wexford to Dublin/Bunclody traffic.

The function of the road is to bypass the town, the N30 links Carlow Waterford Cork keeping traffic out of Enniscorthy

I probably should have been clearer. I would suggest adding the 2km section of road to provide better access to Enniscorthy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

WEX98 wrote: »
    I'm afraid they have to go to through the process again.

We'll probably see something similar to this soon (again).
    485885.jpg

Anyone know why exactly this whole process has to be gone through again from scratch?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone know why exactly this whole process has to be gone through again from scratch?
    From the Oylegte-Rosslare thread it is because of changes in appraisal requirements
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110177410&postcount=374

jd wrote: »
    From the Oylegte-Rosslare thread it is because of changes in appraisal requirements
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110177410&postcount=374

Who changed them? Why were they changed?

Edit - I guess should be probed in the oilgate Rosslare thread, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Drove through Camolin yesterday afternoon heading south. It’s like a ghost town.
    Just a note, speed limit on old road between Camolin and Enniscorthy has been reduced to 80kph, I presume this is because the status of the road has been downgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Drove through Camolin yesterday afternoon heading south. It’s like a ghost town.
    Just a note, speed limit on old road between Camolin and Enniscorthy has been reduced to 80kph, I presume this is because the status of the road has been downgraded.

I mentioned that last night, it's a pain in the hole traveling that road at 80kph. Watch as speed vans haunt it. It'll be like shooting fish in a barrel. As I said,100kph was fine before the bypass opened but isn't now even though the road is quieter and the fact that the L roads off it are also 80kph despite some being glorified sheep tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

I mentioned that last night, it's a pain in the hole traveling that road at 80kph. Watch as speed vans haunt it. It'll be like shooting fish in a barrel. As I said,100kph was fine before the bypass opened but isn't now even though the road is quieter and the fact that the L roads off it are also 80kph despite some being glorified sheep tracks.

Completely agree with you about the mainline.
    As regards the boreens, 80 is a limit, not a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Drove up and down a few times over the weekend and I have to say I think they opened it a bit early. Lots of the temporary signage is still up, some of the fencing / noise reduction is only half finished and there are still bits of debris and left over materials in quite a few spots. An extra few days would have allowed time for all of that to be sorted properly without having to contend with traffic going by at speed.

That being said, I think it's a good road and it certainly shaved a good bit off my driving time to get down to Wexford. I hope they keep up the good work in terms of design and quality as and when the last bit to Rosslare is done.

• Advertisement

FB update from George Lawlor
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10220265452854889&set=a.2234414988284&type=3&theater
    OYLEGATE UPDATE.

I have spoken once again with the Roads Engineers regarding the difficulties being encountered in Oylegate since the bypass opened.

Work was carried out on the lights yesterday and is ongoing from early this morning. This work has appeared to have improved the situation. The traffic flow will be continuously monitored in the coming days to ensure that the best response possible is reached.

Can I ask people to continue to post photos or videos of the traffic if the encounter problems as this gives up to date information that can be acted upon.

Whilst the primary need is to ensure no delays are encountered coming off the bypass we also have to be mindful of the Oylegate community. If,however, these lights continue to cause a serious problem the engineer has committed to reverting back to the former pedestrian model of lights.

As ever I will keep posting updates as I get them to keep people informed of what’s happening.

josip wrote: »
    Completely agree with you about the mainline.
    As regards the boreens, 80 is a limit, not a target.

I know that the 80 on bohreens is not a target.... unless you drive a daysul tee Dee eye.
    My point is that the reduced limit on a big wide road is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Lads, can we put the 80km/h to one side please? It happened automatically when the road was downgraded and handed over to Wexford county council. The county council can change it back to 100 if we the people put pressure on them to do so. Obviously it will need to be debated at the meeting but I think they'll change it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭WicklowTiger

I know that the 80 on bohreens is not a target.... unless you drive a daysul tee Dee eye.
    My point is that the reduced limit on a big wide road is stupid.

Presumably the drop to 80 kph is required due to re-classification as an R road. Think the council would now have to pass a bye-law to raise it again to 100. Whether they will or how long that takes is anyone's guess.

The link road from Ballydawmore to Scarawalsh is getting plenty of use anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Good review of driving the new M11 Enniscorhy Bypass here. Mr Byrne even gives a plug to Boards.ie at once point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBUZMbMQbMo

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I don't know if it is true or not, but I have heard that they will shortly be closing one lane and reducing speeds to 80 for a few weeks so that the can finish off the works. It should not have opened for another couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

kneemos wrote: »
    I've been on that side road several times a week for years,hardly ever see a car either waiting to pull out or into it.
    Very occasionally you'll get three or four cars waiting to pull out,but they quickly got going.

There's a small primary or infants school just round the corner from the junction,that might generate a bit if traffic for twenty minutes during opening and closing,otherwise it's not in any way a busy road.

I live on that side road, and the lights are badly needed. It may not have huge volumes of traffic on it, but it is fairly busy. There are a lot of houses on it, a school, the GAA grounds and it is a route to Ballymurn. It was always dangerous trying to get out there, visibility to the right is not great, and very few obey the speed limits. Lights sequence probably needed to be tweaked a bit, but it would be far too dangerous without them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

peadar76 wrote: »
    I don't know if it is true or not, but I have heard that they will shortly be closing one lane and reducing speeds to 80 for a few weeks so that the can finish off the works. It should not have opened for another couple of weeks

Another one I heard is that it's closing completely... Desperate town for rumours.
    It was originally supposed to open on the August bank holiday weekend, with an extension until November for remedial works.

• Advertisement

Talking to a few local truck drivers,they were wondering if using the "old road" through Ferns would be just as handy for them but it's literally just a few minutes from Scarawalsh onto the M11 and no worries about getting stuck behind a tractor or such like so the time saving going what seems the more circuitous route is a real positive and they are using that instead.

Advertisement