Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

josip wrote: »
    Is this layout operational anywhere else in Ireland?
    I thought hashing was best practice on all National Roads now, even where sightlines are excellent.

https://goo.gl/maps/Fi4ES7cdAE4o8etj6
    https://goo.gl/maps/ZZA6rFtkr8fWgvGS9
    https://goo.gl/maps/ifVC9dFgGAz7jirV6

They have the same thing on the N28 on the city side before Carrs Hill. Sight lines there aren't great either as you have a bend and a hill.

Absolutely nuts. You can legitimately overtake onto a double lane of oncoming traffic! I can just imagine the panic and flashing lights if you did so too.

As said, it's an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

peadar76 wrote: »
    I don't know if it is true or not, but I have heard that they will shortly be closing one lane and reducing speeds to 80 for a few weeks so that the can finish off the works. It should not have opened for another couple of weeks

Michael D'Arcy wants to turn part of the old N11 into a Greenway.
    Bits of it are good and wide, particularly between Ferns and Oylgate. Dunno if it would be a runner though.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2019/07/22/call-for-cycling-greyway-along-the-old-n11-road/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

kneemos wrote: »
    Michael D'Arcy wants to turn part of the old N11 into a Greenway.
    Bits of it are good and wide, particularly between Ferns and Oylgate. Dunno if it would be a runner though.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2019/07/22/call-for-cycling-greyway-along-the-old-n11-road/

A greyway but I getcha

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

sheff_ wrote: »
    Perhaps the plan was to create this pinch point and create public outcry to make it easier to get funding for the next stage of the motorway? Go beyond oylegate with the enniscorthy bypass and there’s more of a job done feel to the road

Remember the tailbacks on the Glenmore side of New Ross before they put the little fried egg roundabout on the Wexford end of the bridge? Once the NR bypass was in train the little roundabout was put in alleviating the problem which necessitated the bypass in the first place!!

The road to Rosslare is not too bad as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Is there room for a mini roundabout in Oylegate? Or alternatively why not have one of those lights which sense when there's a car waiting on the side road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

M11 opening day drive

Is there room for a mini roundabout in Oylegate? Or alternatively why not have one of those lights which sense when there's a car waiting on the side road

This will happen ie the sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Drove through Camolin yesterday afternoon heading south. It’s like a ghost town.
    Just a note, speed limit on old road between Camolin and Enniscorthy has been reduced to 80kph, I presume this is because the status of the road has been downgraded.

I heard they changed the speedlimit on the opening day of the M11. Eventhough it's a much better and safer road then the road to Bunclody which is 100k/h. Any excuse to raise a little extra cash with speed vans!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

I heard they changed the speedlimit on the opening day of the M11. Eventhough it's a much better and safer road then the road to Bunclody which is 100k/h. Any excuse to raise a little extra cash with speed vans!

The default speed limit on a "R" road is 80 km/hr.

It can be varied by a County Council vote, so talk to your local councillors.

http://speedlimits.ie/data/documents/final-report.pdf

The Road Traffic Act of 2004 sets out the current legislative basis for the setting of speed limits. The Act applies ‘default’ speed limits to different categories of road and also allows for local authorities to intervene and set ‘special speed limits’ on roads in their area. The main provisions are:

Default Speed Limits: - The legal Speed Limit that applies to each class of road unless varied through Special Speed Limits.

Special Speed Limits: - These allow a Default Limit to be varied locally by elected members of county and city councils.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

As has been explained already, the old N11 has been downgraded to an R road automatically on the motorway opening. R roads have a default speed limit of 80kmph. This can be changed back to 100kmph by the the county council. It wasn't changed to make money :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Muller1991

Heading to the mobile home at the weekend in Our Lady's Island travelling from Tallaght , Usually takes 1 hr and 50 mins give or take 20 mins , Anyone have an idea how long it will take now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Muller1991 wrote: »
    Heading to the mobile home at the weekend in Our Lady's Island travelling from Tallaght , Usually takes 1 hr and 50 mins give or take 20 mins , Anyone have an idea how long it will take now ?

Less anyway...Blanch to Wexford Town can be done in 1 hour 30 now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Discussion on raising the limit back from 80kph to 100 already taking place on local radio with councillors etc involved.

Back to the M11,the surface is great,even during a heavy shower the other day there was no surface spray off it. The porous asphalt doing it's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Was away last week but back on the morning and evening commute through Oylegate. No delays whatsoever yesterday morning at 8.20am or yesterday evening at 6pm. Had a red light this morning but hold up was negligible (About seven cars entered the main carriageway from the side road). I think proper light sequencing will alleviate any issues in Oylegate although September will tell. Huge positive change to Enniscorthy traffic levels at peak times. Its now proper local traffic going about its business and the HGVs and through traffic removed. Happy days!

The local uproar over the speed limit reducing to 80kph on what was the old N11 is laughable imo. The longest section uninterrupted by passing through a town or village is the the 11Kms from Ferns to Enniscorthy. The extra time taken by adhering to the new speed limit is about 90 seconds for that section. Probably less now given the heavy slower traffic that was on the busy old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

MichealD wrote: »
    The local uproar over the speed limit reducing to 80kph on what was the old N11 is laughable imo.
    Indeed. And as almost every other scheme around the country shows, this will be amended at the very next council meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I think most people's perception is that the n11 will be blitzed with speed vans and experience would show they're not wrong, this is exactly what happened when the Gorey and Rathnew sections opened.
    Whatever your thoughts on exceeding the speed limit, this cynical reaction by what, after all, is a private company, does rankle with a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I think most people's perception is that the n11 will be blitzed with speed vans and experience would show they're not wrong, this is exactly what happened when the Gorey and Rathnew sections opened.
    Whatever your thoughts on exceeding the speed limit, this cynical reaction by what, after all, is a private company, does rankle with a lot of people.

The private speed vans can only go in defined zones. If there aren't existing ones there won't be new ones that quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

Any idea when the N30 link will be completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

L1011 wrote: »
    The private speed vans can only go in defined zones. If there aren't existing ones there won't be new ones that quickly

There are defined zones along the route but that's not what I meant. I meant that the vans would go more often with the expectation that people used to travelling at 100kph would automatically travel at that speed.
    For instance, the van would only be seen on about a monthly basis on the R772 between Gorey and Tinnock before the bypass opened but after it opened it was seen more likely on a weekly basis. Since the speed limit was reinstated it's now seen on an even less than monthly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thethinker

MichealD wrote: »
    The local uproar over the speed limit reducing to 80kph on what was the old N11 is laughable imo. The longest section uninterrupted by passing through a town or village is the the 11Kms from Ferns to Enniscorthy. The extra time taken by adhering to the new speed limit is about 90 seconds for that section. Probably less now given the heavy slower traffic that was on the busy old road.

Other peoples issues are not laughable just because you dont share them. It would be much better if you tried to understand. Personally speaking, I have been frustrated/bored to death driving from gorey to enniscorthy for the last couple of years, always stuck behind a lorry, tractor, micra, etc, doing 60-80kph on a good road. Very few safe overtaking opportunites due to volume of traffic. I am now using the bypass, and it is great. However, there are other people with shorter regular journeys along the route for whom the bypass is an impractical alternative. I would imagine many of them were looking forward to the removal of many impediments (lorries and traffic volume) from the N11, which would lead to more enjoyable journeys. So I can imagine their real annoyance when they found out that the speed limit is reduced at the very instance when the long standing issues have been fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Marhay70 wrote: »
    There are defined zones along the route but that's not what I meant. I meant that the vans would go more often with the expectation that people used to travelling at 100kph would automatically travel at that speed.
    For instance, the van would only be seen on about a monthly basis on the R772 between Gorey and Tinnock before the bypass opened but after it opened it was seen more likely on a weekly basis. Since the speed limit was reinstated it's now seen on an even less than monthly basis.

How many times does it have to be said on multiple forums, if you don’t drive over the speed limit, you don’t have a problem.

The road is now a regional road so has a speed limit of 80kmph as is standard on the majority of regional roads in Ireland.

If you want to to drive over 80kmph, there is a brand spanking new road which is 100 times safer to drive on.

If you’re driving at a certain speed because you “automatically” drive at that speed then you are not paying attention to the road and the speed van is the least of your worries.

To finish my point, while the drop in speed may feel excessive the difference in survival rates between a collision at 80kmph vs 100kmph justifies the drop in the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thethinker

Last Stop wrote: »
    To finish my point, while the drop in speed may feel excessive the difference in survival rates between a collision at 80kmph vs 100kmph justifies the drop in the limit.

If you extend your own logic to its natural conclusion, then the speed limit should be dropped to 20kph in order to create an even greater reduction in loss of life and serious injury.

However, that is not how the world works. Society weighs risk versus reward and finds a balance. The majority of people might individually think the right balance is somewhere between 70kph and 120kph. However, it is unsafe for everyone to drive at such diverse speeds. So we trust the law makers to decide upon the appropriate max speed limi to apply to each road, assuming common sense will be applied. So when people find out a thoughtless generic limit will result in the limit reducing on a now safer road (less traffic), people despair of the law makers and generally lose respect for the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

The opening of the motorway bypass was ALWAYS going to mean that this section of the N11 was going to be re-designated an R-road. This was never in doubt, was it?

R-roads, are, by default 80kph.

Why is there uproar? If it's SO IMPORTANT that the road is 100kph, surely the concerned locals would have lobbied for the road to be left at 100kph..? A convincing argument would have meant less work for WX Co Council!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

blindsider wrote: »
    The opening of the motorway bypass was ALWAYS going to mean that this section of the N11 was going to be re-designated an R-road. This was never in doubt, was it?

R-roads, are, by default 80kph.

Why is there uproar? If it's SO IMPORTANT that the road is 100kph, surely the concerned locals would have lobbied for the road to be left at 100kph..? A convincing argument would have meant less work for WX Co Council!

The M11 doesn't serve Ferns or Camolin and any traffic west of the bypass will still tend to use the original route and having driven on it at 80kph I can attest to it being a pain in the hole.
    As was said before, when the road from Clogh to Gorey was changed to 80kph after the Gorey bypass opened it was haunted by speed traps. Anyone who thinks the stretch from Clogh to Edermine won't be is naive.
    I can see the 100kph limit reintroduced sooner rather than later.
    One small gripe about the M11 is some of the signage at Ballydawmore,just a couple of signs for Blackwater,another one or two for Oulart etc. would be a help for visitors who aren't staring at a sat nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Travelling from Dublin to Blackwater in Wexford today and normally would take exit 23 and pass through Ballycanew and Ballyedmond, before turning left onto the R744 (I think) and into Blackwater.
    Are there any quicker options, now that this new stretch of motorway is opened?
    Google Maps doesn't show the new road yet

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

JMR wrote: »
    Travelling from Dublin to Blackwater in Wexford today and normally would take exit 23 and pass through Ballycanew and Ballyedmond, before turning left onto the R744 (I think) and into Blackwater.
    Are there any quicker options, now that this new stretch of motorway is opened?
    Google Maps doesn't show the new road yet

Thanks

The Ballycanew route is quicker. The R741 is a much better road than the R744. You'll have more motorway using the new M11 section, but all that does is add more kms to the journey.

There's not much in it, but the better R741 swings it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Could they just change the old N11 to the N80 thus allowing the right speed limit to be restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It’s partially on Google Maps now, in an odd way. The road itself is there, but none of the ends are tied into the pre-existing roads, making it look like some sort of orphan road. And while it’s got N/M11 markings, it’s not yet coloured or given the prominence it ought to. But I suppose it’s a sign that they’re almost ready to go live with it in the maps.

• Advertisement

Anyone else not seeing the m11 new section on google maps yet? I updated the app but still nothing

Advertisement