Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

thethinker wrote: »
    I wonder why it took 4 mins. The bus was hardly parked over the sensor that triggers the lights? Seems to be a lot of gombeenism going on in oilgate. The bypass has been in the works for years. Simple job to get right; but should have been done ages ago nevertheless.

True,the sensible thing was to install the lights a few years ago and have the kinks ironed out by the time the bypass was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pummice

Anyone know when the New Ross bypass is due to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

You're going to think I'm being a pr1ck here, and I'm not - I'm just being blunt.

2 threads (at the moment) below this one is the New Ross Bypass thread - all 113 pages of it. It has all the info you could ever need re the bypass. Several posters have spent considerable time and effort keeping us all up to date re the wonderful progress being made.

It's worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

blindsider wrote: »
    You're going to think I'm being a pr1ck here, and I'm not - I'm just being blunt.

2 threads (at the moment) below this one is the New Ross Bypass thread - all 113 pages of it. It has all the info you could ever need re the bypass. Several posters have spent considerable time and effort keeping us all up to date re the wonderful progress being made.

It's worth checking out.

Any chance of a link to it?
    All I can find is the thread about the bridge (or is that it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Any chance of a link to it?
    All I can find is the thread about the bridge (or is that it?)

That is the thread. Conversation does tend to focus on the bridge as it is the most visible and unique aspect, but it's about the whole bypass.

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    That is the thread. Conversation does tend to focus on the bridge as it is the most visible and unique aspect, but it's about the whole bypass.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

pummice wrote: »
    Anyone know when the New Ross bypass is due to open?

The end of September is being mentioned fairly frequently. Concrete pouring is finally complete, there's a month's stress testing then tarring, barriers, cable tensioning etc, all going well weather wise September is looking good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

After the initial concerns about the traffic lights in Oylegate, have they amended them to suit the traffic? I have been on the road 3 times now, twice midweek at reasonably busy times (8am north bound and 6pm south bound) and had no hold up on either direction at both journeys.

Also on Sunday (match traffic), was held up about 11am for 5 to 10 minutes going into Oylegate but there was no stoppage at all on the way back, hitting it around 8pm. The traffic was at a standstill on the M11 itself for a long way prior to hitting the M50 so was very busy yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

bruschi wrote: »
    After the initial concerns about the traffic lights in Oylegate, have they amended them to suit the traffic? I have been on the road 3 times now, twice midweek at reasonably busy times (8am north bound and 6pm south bound) and had no hold up on either direction at both journeys.

Also on Sunday (match traffic), was held up about 11am for 5 to 10 minutes going into Oylegate but there was no stoppage at all on the way back, hitting it around 8pm. The traffic was at a standstill on the M11 itself for a long way prior to hitting the M50 so was very busy yesterday morning.

I've been moving through Oylegate at similar times (but in opposite directions) every morning and evening since last Monday and no delays worth talking about. Think I had a red light twice but just the 60 seconds, or what ever the sequence is, hold up.

Sunday morning northbound traffic was exceptionally heavy but I was cycling from Enniscorthy to Gorey on the old road around 10.30/11.00am and once past the Scarawalsh roundabouts very little traffic. The motorway is doing its job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I passed there this morning at about 8 and it wasn't red for long at all. Not much longer than it took a bus to come out the side road. So perhaps they've fixed it. Though it is an anecdote of one from a person who has never even been there before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

N30 is to open next Tuesday, according to the local paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

So the local council want a 60km/h at Kyle Cross on the N11, that would make a 50 (with lights), a 60 and another 60 between Oilgate and Wexford, not sure that’s going to help the traffic situation

”Fianna Fail coun­cil­lor Garry Laf­fan has called for signs to be erected on the Main Road at Kyle Cross, in­form­ing mo­torists of the speed at which they are trav­el­ling.
    The ‘driver feed­back’ signs are badly needed to en­cour­age driv­ers to re­duce their speed, Cllr. Laf­fan told a Wex­ford District coun­cil meet­ing.
    He sug­gested that the lo­cal au­thor­ity write a let­ter to the Na­tional Roads Au­thor­ity re­quest­ing a re­duc­tion in the speed limit to 60km and speed re­duc­tion signs at the ‘dan­ger­ous junc­tion’.
    Bor­ough En­gi­neer Sean Ka­vanagh said he had no ob­ject­gion to writ­ing a let­ter to the NRA.
    He told coun­cil­lors that ‘driver feed­back’ signs cost about €3,500 each.

vicwatson wrote: »
    So the local council want a 60km/h at Kyle Cross on the N11, that would make a 50 (with lights), a 60 and another 60 between Oilgate and Wexford, not sure that’s going to help the traffic situation

”Fianna Fail coun­cil­lor Garry Laf­fan has called for signs to be erected on the Main Road at Kyle Cross, in­form­ing mo­torists of the speed at which they are trav­el­ling.
    The ‘driver feed­back’ signs are badly needed to en­cour­age driv­ers to re­duce their speed, Cllr. Laf­fan told a Wex­ford District coun­cil meet­ing.
    He sug­gested that the lo­cal au­thor­ity write a let­ter to the Na­tional Roads Au­thor­ity re­quest­ing a re­duc­tion in the speed limit to 60km and speed re­duc­tion signs at the ‘dan­ger­ous junc­tion’.
    Bor­ough En­gi­neer Sean Ka­vanagh said he had no ob­ject­gion to writ­ing a let­ter to the NRA.
    He told coun­cil­lors that ‘driver feed­back’ signs cost about €3,500 each.

Put in lanes to slow down and turn left is the best thing they could do.

kneemos wrote: »

They had them (well, wide hard shoulders) but the road 'improvements' last year narrowed the hard shoulders and the main carriageways, made the turning angle more acute and kept the speed limit at 100kph. Vehicles exiting left off the N11 in either direction have to slow to 20/25kph to make the turn causing a lot of sudden braking behind. The works last year have made this junction more dangerous imo.

MichealD wrote: »
    They had them (well, wide hard shoulders) but the road 'improvements' last year narrowed the hard shoulders and the main carriageways, made the turning angle more acute and kept the speed limit at 100kph. Vehicles exiting left off the N11 in either direction have to slow to 20/25kph to make the turn causing a lot of sudden braking behind. The works last year have made this junction more dangerous imo.

It's lethal there,who in their right mind would redesign a road layout to get rid of the filter lanes that let people turn off the main carriageway safely and narrow the hard shoulder which effectively means traffic goes from an average of 100 kph to a standstill. The locals rightly protested about it,the junction is more dangerous than ever now.

Anyhow, back to the bypass, I'm not sure tomorrow or the next day will see the rest of the N30 section open. Still a bit of tidying up work and signage,barriers being erected today. My guess will be Friday,but that's just a guess.

Anyhow, back to the bypass, I'm not sure tomorrow or the next day will see the rest of the N30 section open. Still a bit of tidying up work and signage,barriers being erected today. My guess will be Friday,but that's just a guess.

Map Alerter at lunchtime;

About this Alert
    Issued by: Wexford County Council
    Alert Date: 30/07/2019
    MapAlerter Category: Road Alert
    Original SMS Text Message: BAM Contractors completing works on various side roads over the next 3 weeks in Enniscorthy. Works 7am to 8pm daily (Monday to Friday).Stop and go in operation.
    Additional Information: View on MapAlerter.com

Map Alerter at lunchtime;

About this Alert
    Issued by: Wexford County Council
    Alert Date: 30/07/2019
    MapAlerter Category: Road Alert
    Original SMS Text Message: BAM Contractors completing works on various side roads over the next 3 weeks in Enniscorthy. Works 7am to 8pm daily (Monday to Friday).Stop and go in operation.
    Additional Information: View on MapAlerter.com

There's a contra flow and traffic lights at the roundabout out at Monart/Kiltealy road. It's to facilitate the sign erection and crash barriers. I drove out that way earlier.

There's a contra flow and traffic lights at the roundabout out at Monart/Kiltealy road. It's to facilitate the sign erection and crash barriers. I drove out that way earlier.

Not again!! Will that bloody roundabout ever be finished...

Like the way it used to be? Why they haven't made it a roundabout is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes they should have left well enough alone, they made a right hash of that junction. Love to know who the bright spark was.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yes they should have left well enough alone, they made a right hash of that junction. Love to know who the bright spark was.

Probably the same one that designed the junction at the top of Ferrycarrig servicing Crossabeg and Wexford Youths pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

When the N30 link does open, does anybody know what road number will apply to the downgraded section approaching the town from the west? Perhaps it can already be seen on signs.

Full page write up in local paper over the reduced limit on the old N11. Businesses affected because people won't use the road and politicians weighing in behind them,less HGV traffic means safer driving conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Full page write up in local paper over the reduced limit on the old N11. Businesses affected because people won't use the road and politicians weighing in behind them,less HGV traffic means safer driving conditions.

because of the reduced speed limit and not the new motorway???

tonc76 wrote: »
    because of the reduced speed limit and not the new motorway???

One business owner claimed that locals using the road have avoided it as much as possible over fears of picking up penalty points even if going barely over the limit.
    The motorway has pretty much zero effect on traffic in the general Ferns/Camolin area as you need to drive either to the Clogh interchange or Enniscorthy to get onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

One business owner claimed that locals using the road have avoided it as much as possible over fears of picking up penalty points even if going barely over the limit.
    The motorway has pretty much zero effect on traffic in the general Ferns/Camolin area as you need to drive either to the Clogh interchange or Enniscorthy to get onto it.

so if the locals are not using the old road yet there is almost zero effect on local traffic (presuming the business is in that section) where have they all gone???

no doubt the politicians backing the business owners were the same people front and centre at the road opening

AHH will ya stop, you could put up a marquee outside applegreen in ferns it's so quiet.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    AHH will ya stop, you could put up a marquee outside applegreen in ferns it's so quiet.

It was bear impossible to get out of anyway.

CoBo55 wrote: »

I remember journeys taking 5+ hours from Dublin to Kilmore Quay in the late 70s early 80s. I remember having to drive through so many villages and towns (Blackrock, Shankhill, Bray, NTMK, Rathnew, Arklow Gorey etc etc etc) that have now been bypassed, at the time, business owners in these same villages were wringing their hands and declaring the bypass was the death knell for their village.
    These villages and towns now thrive with locals free to go about their daily business without having to battle with HGVs and passing traffic.
    I suppose the transition is probably difficult but generally everybody wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just cant see this happening in Enniscorthy.

Advertisement