Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Just cant see this happening in Enniscorthy.

Drove through yesterday heading north from Ross, plenty of pedestrian traffic and local cars. Very little passing traffic would have stopped in Enniscorthy anyway! It’s not a place that would ever have encouraged you to just stop if you didn’t need to simply because of the route the N 11 took through the town.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I've tended to notice that there's a population range in which the opening of a bypass is overall detrimental to your village.
    If the town is very small, like a couple of 1000 people, passing trade was never very valuable. Motorists preferred to stop for fuel/food in a larger town.

If the town is large, like 10000 or over, local trade is significant enough to keep businesses going.

But for the in between towns, like 3-8 thousand, passing trade was significant but local trade isn't big enough. I think those towns generally do suffer for a long time. I read an article about Ballaghaderreen, that place is really doing badly since the bypass opened.

Enniscorthy has a population of 11k so should do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Enniscorthy is a proper market town for the surrounding countryside, I'd imagine it will be fine. Dunno about Ferns and Camolin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

loyatemu wrote: »
    Enniscorthy is a proper market town for the surrounding countryside, I'd imagine it will be fine. Dunno about Ferns and Camolin though.

There's a lot more to Ferns than what you see from the N11, but Applegreen will be hit hard as will the petrol station in Camolin.
    Everything else should be grand.

Camolin, I've never seen a more stretched out village.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

loyatemu wrote: »

All three have “hidden” populations around them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

tonc76 wrote: »
    so if the locals are not using the old road yet there is almost zero effect on local traffic (presuming the business is in that section) where have they all gone???

no doubt the politicians backing the business owners were the same people front and centre at the road opening

I'm just repeating what was said in the article, don't shoot the messenger. People just get funny ideas about things. They see a big wide road with a stupid speed limit on it and decide, "nah, I'll drive somewhere else to do my business, don't want to get soft penalty points" even if it means using a smaller road with the exact same speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

What fresh hell is this ?!!!

About this Alert
    Issued by: Wexford County Council
    Alert Date: 01/08/2019
    MapAlerter Category: Road Alert
    Original SMS Text Message: Due to BAM Contractor works. 24 hour Traffic Lights will be in operation on the R772 at Scurlockbush . Work starting Tuesday 4th Aug for a minimum of 6 weeks.
    Additional Information: View on MapAlerter.com

Scurlockbush is the area just on the Enniscorthy side of the roundabout at the end of the new M11. I could be way off but I seem to remember there being a cattle underpass near that junction on the original drawings of the road scheme. Perhaps its going to be constructed now as the alternative route via the motorway is open.

Whatever reason the traffic lights are needed for I would imagine this could lead to traffic backing up on to the roundabout depending on the location of lights and its sequencing. Much less traffic taking that road now in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

From the project web site
    There is also one culvert that will need to be built after the new motorway opens, as per our agreement with the Wexford County Council in order to minimise the disruptions to the public. The structure will be located Just north of the New Oilgate Roundabout (as shown on photo) and will be constructed under the existing N11 road heading to Enniscorthy. This will require some local traffic management arrangement during the construction of the culvert which is estimated to be around two months. Traffic from and to Enniscorthy will be maintained at all times.

486972.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

mackerski wrote: »
    When the N30 link does open, does anybody know what road number will apply to the downgraded section approaching the town from the west? Perhaps it can already be seen on signs.

R744 knew I was coming that way today made sure to take note of the road number.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is the N30 part open yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

road_high wrote: »
    Is the N30 part open yet?

Nah, Tuesday last i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kevtherev1

1. kneemos wrote: »
      N30 is to open next Tuesday, according to the local paper.
    Has the n30 western side been opened today?

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    Has the n30 western side been opened today?
    Not up to 13:30 today anyway but wife tell me they were cleaning the grey paint from the signs so possibly today or tomorrow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Must be tomorrow then.

My son drove down the new N30 tonight, no its not open, was taking my son out his a learner driver ,approach roundabout on clonroach side , and said roads still not open yet and said jokingly" take a left and drive down it", he did ! i said i was only joking ,he said you "told me too" ,so told him to do a U turn,just then a van approached us with a yellow flashing beacon,"you will have to turn round its not open yet," ok my son said , i said when is it open," Friday" he said ,as we drove out he then closed the gate behind us. Leaners hay, i dont know:pac: .

My son drove down the new N30 tonight, no its not open, was taking my son out his a learner driver ,approach roundabout on clonroach side , and said roads still not open yet and said jokingly" take a left and drive down it", he did ! i said i was only joking ,he said you "told me too" ,so told him to do a U turn,just then a van approached us with a yellow flashing beacon,"you will have to turn round its not open yet," ok my son said , i said when is it open," Friday" he said ,as we drove out he then closed the gate behind us. Leaners hay, i dont know:pac: .

I’ve been tempted to stick the orange strobe on roof, stick on my hi viz and cruise on down the new road but wife won’t let me😳

You would get way with it all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Wasn't open tonight at 9:30

Which Friday? I've been hearing Friday for the last three weeks:rolleyes:

Wasn't open tonight at 9:30

No its not open, this Friday apparently according to the gate man (above post)

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Which Friday? I've been hearing Friday for the last three weeks:rolleyes:
    This Friday so he said, how many dates have we had so far?

This Friday so he said, how many dates have we had so far?
    Yesterday, last Friday, the Monday after the M11 opened.... The latest I've heard is that it isn't opening until the New Ross bypass is open:D:D Love Enniscorthy rumours..

The boy racers are making the most of the new roundabout near Oylegate, plenty of rubber left there from them diffing around on it.
    Sure what else would you be doing at the end of a motorway? Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The boy racers are making the most of the new roundabout near Oylegate, plenty of rubber left there from them diffing around on it.
    Sure what else would you be doing at the end of a motorway? Clowns.

there are always rubber circles on the road when I drive the Gorey bypass, I guess these roads are pretty quiet at night.

Don't know how they afford the tyres.

Don't know how they afford the tyres.

Part worns out of John Molloy's or your man in Ferns are the retailers of choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Drove Dub - Wex, Wex - N80 on it today.

Really makes the drive a real pleasure. No delays in Oylgate, just a couple of cars and myself at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Part worns out of John Molloy's or your man in Ferns are the retailers of choice...

I though another poster said all the businesses in Ferns were forced to close because the old road went to 80kmph and there might be the odd speed van on it? :pac::pac:

Last Stop wrote: »
    I though another poster said all the businesses in Ferns were forced to close because the old road went to 80kmph and there might be the odd speed van on it? :pac::pac:

There's always money in secondhand tyres....

• Advertisement

Apparently Cartons in Camolin lost out on up to €6000 in takings the day the bypass opened. It might seem excessive/hearsay/pub talk but I'm sure they did lose a serious amount of money as the place was always busy no matter what time I passed it.

Advertisement