Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtight stove for house with HRV

Options
  • 06-03-2010 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Could anybody give me ball park figures for stoves that are safe to use in a home with HRV, and if possible someplace to purchase them in cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bikerboy_ie

Maple marketing in Ballycureen Ind est. Near to cork lighting. Will cost about 3 to 4 thousand for an airtight model

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Quite a lot of Morso stoves can use an external air supply kit.
    Not sure of Irish prices first place i found online with prices was the UK. Starting from 875 sterling for the badger which is 6kw max output.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I am at this in my build at the moment.
    Suppliers are almost very careful to say a system is air tight and much prefer to say that the model has an external air intake.
    Look for models with closed combustion or room sealed or suitable for houses with mhrv systems. This will narrow down your searches . There seems to be alot of confusion out there.
    In the end, is your unit ever really room sealed, as you will be opening it to refuel and seals are prone to wear.
    Good luck, your next problem will be getting competent installers. I am installing in a timberframe house with twin walled flues and have already dismissed one stoveman from the site as he seemingly was unaware of regulations, wanted me to supply the ladder and asked my where i wanted to position the stove.? I should have known better. one lesson learned there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Homewordbound

What stove did you buy and who did you buy it from?

Lightning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 curaldo

Hello,

Im a little behind most of yee,in the sense that im only about to dig my foundations in the next two weeks, but im looking at multi fuel stoves for the build. the house will be airtight and use hrv so an external air feed is required. It seems 100mm duct is enough to feed the stove. Can put a pipe in the foundations to the outside world. When the stove is closed it should be airtight. Im also looking at the the twin walled insulated flue from Schiedel.

CountyDownStoves seem to very good and will give you good advice on the right stove for the area you want to heat. They also have stoves to suit airtight houses. Murphyheating in Kinvara are also helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

jotul 471/ f373 for wood burning stoves.

I am looking to purchase a barbas c 2 80 inset fireplace for my other room.

Fenton fireplaces or murphys of kinvara are my options. Also check mourne sotves (I think).
    If you want someone else ot do all the work try flame by design in cork. I just couldn't afford the full service so am doing it my self.

Homewordbound

What stove did you buy and who did you buy it from?

Lightning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bianco

I bought one recently in Nagles in mallow. Have alot of information on these if you need advice. PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Have any of you found a stove with the following spec:

1) Airtight, or air control
    2) Can take external air supply
    3) Has back boiler so can get some of the heat out of the room the stove is in
    4) Inset/ Insert stove so less surface area than a room stove so less heat output to overheat the room
    5) Minimum heat output to room, maximum to boiler - eg 2-3kw to room, 12-15kw to boiler

Thanks!

S

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

soldsold wrote: »

4) Inset/ Insert stove so less surface area than a room stove so less heat output to overheat the room
    5) Minimum heat output to room, maximum to boiler - eg 2-3kw to room, 12-15kw to boiler

Thanks!

S

I intend on buying a Boru stove to do this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FergusD

I've been told by both Mulberry and Stanley that they'll have stoves with an air intake and a back boiler in the Autumn. They won't give me more info than that until closer the time.

Fergus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Thanks!

S

Not sure on the kw of these but here are two that I came across that should fit the bill...

Hakr Zeus - various suitable models
    Kobok Chopok - various models (including corner option)

The first is widely available here. The second from one supplier - website seems to be gone but he's answering his phone (I have one ordered - will be delivered in next few weeks!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dnClar

We are currently in the process of building an airtight house. We went with the ultima frame from Century homes.
    We have a 4" pipe for air intake in the centre of the base for the chimney, that we brought in before the frame went up.
    We have enquired alot about stoves, and the most reasonable seems to be Stovax stoves, living stone in limerick do them and murphys heating in kinvara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 daveoc16

Hi folks,

Interesting stuff. I'm currently at floor level on a new build myself.
    I've been looking for stoves with an external air supply. The only ones i can find are wood burning stoves. Doesn't seem to be any traditional multifuel stoves with external air kit.
    I plan to use old style stove in one room and an insert stove (stovax) in the other.
    My plan is to carry a 2" duct underfloor from outside to a vent at each fire place (as close as possible to stoves). I'm hoping this will provide plenty air to the stoves. This should eliminate smokey moments and should draughts across door ways etc with the trying to get enough air.
    This vent can then be shut when stove not in use without dramatically affecting MHRV.
    I'm new to all this. What do ye think, I'm I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Have been looking for one for our new build, as we will have MHRV.

The only ones I can find that explicity state they are room sealed are Stovax Riva Plus (small, midi and large) and some Franco Belge models. We are looking for a ~5kW non-boiler.

The Stovax came in around €1400 and the Franco Belge Montfort €850.
    We are pretty much decided on the Franco Belge.

We are going with the Schiedel Air chimney system which brings air down a second channel in the stack alongside the flue. Works out about €180/metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

I got a quote at the weekend for a stove with external air supply kit.

7KW Nestor Martin S23 €1650 (said the 5KW version would be €500 cheaper). The chimney liner was €30/metre and I would have to get my own installer which he guessed would charge €500.

Got information from Waterford stanley about one of their stoves and they recommend running a 4" pipe from opposite sides of the house (front to back) and tapping the stove air intake off this. This should negate pressure zones. All I'll be doing is running 2 x 2" pipes under the screed from the front of the house to the stove as my fire is in the centre of the house, so I can't run a 4" pipe.

Hope this helps,
    Poco

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭about2build

Good stuff on here but do any of these stoves incorporate a back boiler as well as the other criteria listed??? Would like to heat water and run 3-4 rads off it as well? Any models or :confused:companies in Galway area

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rodzer

Good stuff on here but do any of these stoves incorporate a back boiler as well as the other criteria listed??? Would like to heat water and run 3-4 rads off it as well? Any models or :confused:companies in Galway area
    I built my own house and moved in April 2011. We have mvhr. We got a Stanley Reginald solid fuel boiler stove. Great job as it has the external air duct. No draughts whatsoever. Its great for heating the water too in winter as the solar tubes are dormant. I'm an Arch. Tech. and Ber assessor and my house has an A3 energy rating. Wud liked to have built to passive standards but the cost was just too great. Still very happy though.

Thanks Rodzer
    Is the stove your primary heating system?? If so how many rads kws etc? Also where does the external air duct run? through the screed or where?

Thanks!

S

Soldsold did you find one with all the criteria they are pretty thin on the ground:confused:

Thanks Rodzer
    Is the stove your primary heating system?? If so how many rads kws etc? Also where does the external air duct run? through the screed or where?
    No, I have an oil condensing boiler which heats the 2600sq.ft. house. The solid fuel stove can't do this. It gives max. 4kw to the living room and max. 15.8kw to the boiler. We only burn sycamore logs which wouldn't be enough to heat the rads. The key with building is to make it airtight and you will never be cold. The external air duct runs through the screed to a grill on the plinth outside.

• Advertisement

Thanks rodzer...i sent you a pm as well so as to not destroy the thread:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cappite123

hello all..i am currently building an air tight house and am really wondering about room sealed stoves..will i use a balanced flue or one with an external air supply..anyone got any information on sealed stoves..i also heard that a stove insert under 5kw does not need external air as hrv air will do for it

Can only use a balance flue for oil or gas stove not solid fuel and the combustion air i.e. the air being burned to create the fire is taken from tthe room it is in unless it is room sealed....this process has nothing to do with the flue you use. MHRV requires a room sealed stove irrelevant of the power it has.....
    i'm going for a Boru 600 i which is fully room sealed , insert with back boiler whhich is exactly what i wanted:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

cappite123 wrote: »
    hello all..i am currently building an air tight house and am really wondering about room sealed stoves..will i use a balanced flue or one with an external air supply..anyone got any information on sealed stoves..i also heard that a stove insert under 5kw does not need external air as hrv air will do for it

Couple of things here

most importantly CO IS A KILLER ITS ODOURLESS, TASTLESS AND INVISIABLE

1 - balenced flue - there are chinmey systems out there which will allow air to be drawn down a separate duct in to the back of the stove and then the hot gases to rise up the chimney in the normal way
    From the advice I have received the more preferable option is a duct under the floor from the outside (check size with your fire supplier)

2 - its a big no no to have air being drawn from the room with HRV - in actual fact if your read the regs to the letter even in an airtight house you would still require a hole in the wall in the room with a fire. The reason why its a no no is in the event of the house "depressurising" (extract fan running faster than the supply fan) CO and smoke would be drawn out of the stove into the room

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

i'm going for a Boru 600 i which is fully room sealed

Is it though?

The spec on their website for this model states
    "Available with optional central air intake.(outside air)"

"Optional" suggests that it always has room vents too.

Might be worth double checking.

1. If it's true that a stove insert under 5kw doesn't need external air, it has no option then but to take the air for combustion from the room. This means nasty draughts. I wouldbt like to be depending on the hrv for enough air for kindling my stove.
    I'd agree, the more preferable option is a duct under the floor from the outside. Mine is 100mm diameter.

2. My house is airtight. I'd hate a hole in the wall in the room with the stove. The stove has external air kit. The HRV takes care of ventilation, co2, radon, carbon monoxide, smelly sneakers, etc. My days of holes in the wall are behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

fclauson wrote: »
    most importantly CO IS A KILLER ITS ODOURLESS, TASTLESS AND INVISIABLE

Additionally
    I will (depite it not being part of domestic regs) be fitting a CO alarm in the room with the stove plus, have a supply and extract in the room plus have a co/co2 dectector in the MHV connected to some form of audiable alarm

I've never seen "a co2 detector built into a MVHR system, connected to some form of audiable alarm". Does such a thing even exist? If the MVHR system is doing its job of changing the air very regularly, why would you need a co2 detector?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

rodzer wrote: »
    I've never seen "a co2 detector built into a MVHR system, connected to some form of audiable alarm". Does such a thing even exist? If the MVHR system is doing its job of changing the air very regularly, why would you need a co2 detector?
    wouldnt you like to know if there was a source of CO2 from perhaps your stove... and in case the MVHR is helping to spread a fire

• Advertisement

Interesting points. I presumed the MV system would deal with any co2 before it hung around to do damage. Its worrying to think a house fire could spread throughout the house through the ventilation ductwork. God forbid.

Advertisement