Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - where to start?

Options
  • 06-03-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭

I find myself listening to a lot of Metallica tunes on Youtube so I've twigged I ought to go and buy some of there stuff.

Obviously, they've got loads of stuff so I'm wondering what's the essential Metallica album to start with and where do I go from there?

My favourite tracks at the moment are "One" and "Ride The Lightning".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Everyones preference is different

I'd buy

Master of Puppets first

Ride the lightning then

And justice for all

but thats probably because Master of Puppets was the first album I ever bought of Metallicas and it BLEW me away :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Start with "Ride the Lightning", "Master of Puppets" or "..and Justice for All".

Whichever one you see first, I'm sure you'll get into them pretty fast as they are awesome albums (desite the drums and lack of bass on AFJA).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'd buy

Master of Puppets first

Ride the lightning then

And justice for all

but thats probably because Master of Puppets was the first album I ever bought of Metallicas and it BLEW me away :eek:

Agree with this, everyones preference is different. I'd buy

Master of Puppets
    Justice
    Lightning

in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭big_show

Buy Master of Puppets, Ride the lightening and Justice... you cant go wrong with any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

the black album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 garvielloken

You should pick up Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All. But please for the love of god don't waste any money on St Anger.:D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

And Justice for All. The rest are fairly average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I'd buy

Master of Puppets first

Ride the lightning then

And justice for all

Master of puppets was the first album i ever bought full stop :D still listen to it regularly and would agree with diabhal there as soon as i saw the op thats what i was gonna write

• Registered Users Posts: 45,547 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Puppets
    Ride the Lightning
    Kill Em All
    Justice

All fantastic albums.

The rest are brutal bar a few ok tracks on the Black album.

Ps, there's some good tracks on Garage Days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Just start at the start.

Then decide what you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Load. Very under-rated. And Death Magnetic is as good an album as anyone has brought out in the last few years.

My favourite is RTL though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

just steer clear of Load,Reload and St. Anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Ride the Lightning first, then either AJFA or Master of Puppets :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Every now and again you find someone say they want to get into Metallica, but they're not sure what material to buy, and this is perfectly reasonable considering they've through so many changes

If you want Trash Metal and Metallica means a lot to you seek out 'Kill Em All'

If you want a more commercially tuned album, with songs you will to hear on future shows, and songs that you will instantly recognize I suggest their self titled 1991 album

If you want something a little different I suggest checking out 'Garage Inc' because that's the best thing I can suggest that shows Metallica playing their instruments and being true to themselves...even if its not their songs they're being true to their roots and they are playing like a band

And yes, pick up Death Magnetic at somestage too, because its a great return to form and just captures the energy this band have been lacking for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Just remember that there are several stages of Metallica:

Thrash: Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and And Justice for All...
    Out of these, Master of Puppets is the best, and there most popular album among fans and critics generally. I personally think that And Justice for All... is quite a bit weaker then the rest, but with a few great tracks, and Kill em All also has a different feel, since it's the debut.

Then comes the self titled Black Album - a good place to start, as it has a good few of there hits, and a different feel to there previous work.

Then come Load and Reload, where they try to go in a more alt rock direction, with a few countrified numbers and stuff. Best left till later.

Then come there more recent albums - St. Anger, and Death Magnetic. Back to having a more metal sound, but not really reaching their previous high standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

St Anger. Pfffffffffffffffffffffffft hahahahahhhahaahahahahahahaahah!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Motley Crue and Cool Mo D summed up Metallica pretty well in their posts. Personally I'd recommend Ride The Lightning first but that's personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

cowardly-lion-totally-looks-like-james-hetfield.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Master of Puppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Ride The Lightning or Justice For All first and if you like it get Master Of Puppets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Actually, just be a legend and buy St. Anger first, dont mind what other people think about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Buy St. Anger first, it'll make the other albums seem better in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Can we just have a Metallica super thread sticky??!! Or a Metallica forum? There'll be an 80% drop in R & M posters then I bet :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Garage Inc. is one that I loved years ago and I still listen to now.
    Ok, it is not a polished studio album but that is the point they are just raw and mess around having fun. You don't get bands doing that these days they are far too worried about their fans and sales ... bull****.
    Second choice would be Master of Puppets and third would be Metallica (the black album). And Justice for All is a great album but the guitar is very "show off" as Kirk Hammett (lead guiatar player) admitted later - I like it but it is not really a good introduction if you are not a fan of their other albums.

As far as the recent albums go, its hard to out-do the early LOUD stuff but there are some lovely tunes on Reload and Death Magnetic.

GIMME FUEL, GIMME FIRE , GIMME THAT WHICH I DESIRE !!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

master of puppets
    ride the lightning
    kill em all
    and justice for all

In that order of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Go for either Master of Puppets or And Justice...

Can't go wrong with either of them. Or if you're feeling adventurous, get S&M. It'll introduce you to a wide range of their best stuff from the 80's and 90's, along with some epic orchestration!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I started with 'kill em all' then 'ride the lightning'....if kill em all does'nt blow your doors off id be surprised...a landmark classic knock out punch thrash metal masterpiece.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ok, so I went to buy a few CD's today and get a feel for them. In the end, I didn't buy any.

Master of Puppets was €22, Death Magnetic was €6.95 and St. Anger was €9.95. They didn't have any others. I wasn't paying €22 for a 25-year-old album with no bonuses on it and I was wary of buying the last two.

This is in the biggest music shop I know in Madrid. It's probably the same size as the Tower Records in Wicklow Street.

Is it easier and cheaper to get their stuff back in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

best place to get metallica stuff is napster....only kidding ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭dasdog

Arise Metal (La Estrella 19, Centro - Universidad) off Gran Via seems to have M.O.P for a tenner. For what its worth I would start with Kill em All and move on until the ego's really kick in with AJFA.

Advertisement