Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - where to start?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Ok, so I went to buy a few CD's today and get a feel for them. In the end, I didn't buy any.

Master of Puppets was €22, Death Magnetic was €6.95 and St. Anger was €9.95. They didn't have any others. I wasn't paying €22 for a 25-year-old album with no bonuses on it and I was wary of buying the last two.

This is in the biggest music shop I know in Madrid. It's probably the same size as the Tower Records in Wicklow Street.

Is it easier and cheaper to get their stuff back in Dublin?
    I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a CD from an Irish shop. €22 for Master of Puppets is well and truely pulling the piss.

I've been buying CDs online for years. CDON.com has Master of Puppets for €10 here. EMP Online has it for €17 here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

While totally agreeing with these...

Master Of Puppets
    Ride The Lightning
    Justice For All

And possibly some tracks on Garage Inc.

But why no love for Death Magnetic, I honestly think its the best metal album in years :o

"The Day That Never Comes"
    "All Nightmare Long"
    "My Apocalypse"

Great songs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

death magnetic is probably the best metallica album in years... but the best metal album in years? Overexagerating a tad tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Whatever you do, do not buy Load, Reload, St. Anger and Garage Inc. until you are really into the rest of the albums. That leaves the following:

Kill Em All
    Ride the Lightning
    Master of Puppets
    ...and Justice for All
    The Black Album
    S & M
    Death Magnetic

Start with Puppets and Ride. They are proper classics!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

You were saying you liked Ride the Lightning and ONE so I'd recommend getting and Justice for all and Ride the lightning first.

Then you definitely have to get master of puppets. Probably one of my favourite albums ever

After that Kill em all> some classics like seek and destroy there

Then the Black Album. This one has most of the hits

After that, Death Magnetic. And then stop

Only buy S & M if you enjoy the sensation of being on the landing of the stairs in tower between the classical and rock sections. From what I've heard it's pretty cack. Just doesn't work for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I really dont like when people say "oh, dont buy Load, Reload and St. Anger". Jesus they're good albums, I dont get the hatred. I realise it's "cool" to slag St. Anger but jesus get over it. Some new fans dont have this narrow minded view of what metallicas music is, they might enjoy these albums. Load in particular is very good. Mama Said and Until it Sleeps in particular are fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Actually, just be a legend and buy St. Anger first, dont mind what other people think about it!!
    Buy St. Anger first, it'll make the other albums seem better in the long run.

I actually did this!

It was when St Anger was first released and the title track was being played on some late night music show on tv3, i was actually blown away! I had never been a fan of metal music before then, in fact i was in musical limbo so to speak. I think the pure heavyness of it blew me away, i had never heard something so loud, angry, heavy or forceful in my life. Of course i have since progressed onto better things, but i still have a place in my heart for St. Anger!

Degag wrote: »
    I actually did this!

It was when St Anger was first released and the title track was being played on some late night music show on tv3, i was actually blown away! I had never been a fan of metal music before then, in fact i was in musical limbo so to speak. I think the pure heavyness of it blew me away, i had never heard something so loud, angry, heavy or forceful in my life. Of course i have since progressed onto better things, but i still have a place in my heart for St. Anger!

Thats it exactly. St. Anger mightnt be the best album of all time, but some people have such a snobby attitude towards it, expecting every song to sound like master of puppets or something. Just enjoy it for what it is and we'll all be happier like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I ****ing hate Master of Puppets. It's just a headache.* Din DAN DAN DAN DAN din din din! Bang bang bang, speed....* I hated when they played it in entiriety at RDS. Just untuneful and noisy.

I can't even listen to Damage Inc, Leper Mesiah, Disposable Heroes or the Thing That Should Not Be. They sound like the same song. I have to turn them off after a minute. Actually throw AJFA's Shortest Straw, Frayed Ends and Blackend in with them too as they are the same category.

Battery, Orion & Sanitarium are class (because the guitar/ bass is beautiful and the solos are tops) and obviously Master of Puppets itself is amazing, especially live but the rest is horrible and far too long. Literally, only half the album is bearable to me.

Yea, I'm not cool. Ride the Lightning, I think, is their best album, then Kill Em All. I just do not get the Puppets fascination, maybe it's because hard core Metallica fans insist it's the best so EVERYONE has to agree. It got 26% of the vote on some best Metallica album poll on this forum from 2003. :confused:

**** all the "Don't listen to St. Anger, Load, Garage Inc, Reload" ****e on here. Listen to whatever you like. I actually prefer Metallica as a rock band, and think Garage Inc is deadly. One of my favourite albums of all time. ALL their covers beat the originals.

Load was what got me into Metallica initially. And I think I Disappear is a great song. And Fuel too. I think Enter Sandman is the best live song for moshing/ jumping. So there. :p

Unless you are already into noisy metal, I would suggest listening to the rock stuff first and working backwards because MOP & AJFA are very very heavy and take a lot of getting used to before it even sounds like songs.

(I actually do love heavy, fast albums like Vulgar Display and stuff, I just hate the tinny, hollow sound of MOP/AJFA)

PS. Does anyone else think that they should re-record Hetfield's Vocals on KEA & RTL? His voice wasn't even broken then. The way he says "Whiplash/ Here we Go!" is hilarious! Bless. I think it would serve the albums justice with his macho man voice.

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I ****ing hate Master of Puppets. It's just a headache.* Din DAN DAN DAN DAN din din din! Bang bang bang, speed....* I hated when they played it in entiriety at RDS. Just untuneful and noisy.

I can't even listen to Damage Inc, Leper Mesiah, Disposable Heroes or the Thing That Should Not Be. They sound like the same song. I have to turn them off after a minute. Actually throw AJFA's Shortest Straw, Frayed Ends and Blackend in with them too as they are the same category.

Battery, Orion & Sanitarium are class (because the guitar/ bass is beautiful and the solos are tops) and obviously Master of Puppets itself is amazing, especially live but the rest is horrible and far too long. Literally, only half the album is bearable to me.

Yea, I'm not cool. Ride the Lightning, I think, is their best album, then Kill Em All. I just do not get the Puppets fascination, maybe it's because hard core Metallica fans insist it's the best so EVERYONE has to agree. It got 26% of the vote on some best Metallica album poll on this forum from 2003. :confused:

**** all the "Don't listen to St. Anger, Load, Garage Inc, Reload" ****e on here. Listen to whatever you like. I actually prefer Metallica as a rock band, and think Garage Inc is deadly. One of my favourite albums of all time. ALL their covers beat the originals.

Load was what got me into Metallica initially. And I think I Disappear is a great song. And Fuel too. I think Enter Sandman is the best live song for moshing/ jumping. So there. :p

Unless you are already into noisy metal, I would suggest listening to the rock stuff first and working backwards because MOP & AJFA are very very heavy and take a lot of getting used to before it even sounds like songs.

(I actually do love heavy, fast albums like Vulgar Display and stuff, I just hate the tinny, hollow sound of MOP/AJFA)

PS. Does anyone else think that they should re-record Hetfield's Vocals on KEA & RTL? His voice wasn't even broken then. The way he says "Whiplash/ Here we Go!" is hilarious! Bless. I think it would serve the albums justice with his macho man voice.

I wouldnt say I hate MOP, but i think its very over-rated. It is kinda repitative, as you say yourself! Good post, you might be in for a backlash here though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I really dont like when people say "oh, dont buy Load, Reload and St. Anger". Jesus they're good albums, I dont get the hatred. I realise it's "cool" to slag St. Anger but jesus get over it. Some new fans dont have this narrow minded view of what metallicas music is, they might enjoy these albums. Load in particular is very good. Mama Said and Until it Sleeps in particular are fantastic

Couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

one of the most respected men in metal speaks of some of the least: @ 2:07

and you can take his word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Star Bingo wrote: »

Opinions are like a**eholes, everybody has one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Opinions are like a**eholes, everybody has one. ;)

yes but depends if it drops a nugget or scutter

opinions are like metallikur albums too then judging by album sales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Star Bingo wrote: »

We can take his word for it? Okkk, so this thread is now over cos his opinion is the gospel?

Rockee wrote: »
    We can take his word for it? Okkk, so this thread is now over cos his opinion is the gospel?

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Lil Kitten wrote: »

I think this was raised in a Metallica biography book a few years ago and Ulrich and Newstead spoke about the fact that Hetfield refused to re-record these albums around 92/93 because he believed they showed a maturity of a band...and to re-record them would just cheat the fans

Although, if they ever did a traditional GH's album, I would like to see perhaps a bonus disc of studio recorded classics by the current lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ok, so I went to buy a few CD's today and get a feel for them. In the end, I didn't buy any.

Master of Puppets was €22, Death Magnetic was €6.95 and St. Anger was €9.95. They didn't have any others. I wasn't paying €22 for a 25-year-old album with no bonuses on it and I was wary of buying the last two.

This is in the biggest music shop I know in Madrid. It's probably the same size as the Tower Records in Wicklow Street.

Is it easier and cheaper to get their stuff back in Dublin?

Crazy prices.

Just had a quick look on Amazon.co.uk.

For £34.91 you can get Master Of Puppets, Ride The Lightning, And Justice For All, and Metallica (Black Album) and P&P to Ireland is free as it is with all orders over £25.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

I would probably Start Here:

alcoholica29669uh2hl8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

Rockee wrote: »

well said mr walker ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

And Justice for All is Metallica's best work its far superior to MOP and RTL. The first four tracks on RTL are great but the album fades rapidly thereafter. MOP was Metallica's really breakthru album that got them a proper world wide audience but ive said it many times before that it is repetative and when comparing it song for song to And Justice for ALL there is only one winner, AJFA!!! And Jusctice for All has my favorite two Metallica songs...To Live is to Die and the awesome ONE, which can boast the only really chart topping video by Metallica. So yeah for this album alone Metallica will always be one of my favotire bands. Im hoping they are gonna produce one more decent album before the retire, DM was a decent album one which I hope they rebuild on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Start: Kill 'Em All
    Stop: And Justice for All...

Most people will say the black album is their best, I think its their most over rated.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Start: Kill 'Em All
    Stop: And Justice for All...

Most people will say the black album is their best, I think its their most over rated.
    wow! OMGZ THATZ SO LIEK CEWL! ZOMFG U RULE

seriously... as I have mentioned on this forum before, my favourite metallica track is "Outlaw Torn", followed by "My Friend of Misery"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

If I would have a choice now to listen album from start to finish, it would be either Master of Puppets or St. Anger live dvd that came with the cd.

Master of Puppets is just a classic and live-dvd from St. Anger is good as well, you can see that lads are having fun playing and sounds are better than in cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

Max Power1 wrote: »
    wow! OMGZ THATZ SO LIEK CEWL! ZOMFG U RULE

seriously... as I have mentioned on this forum before, my favourite metallica track is "Outlaw Torn", followed by "My Friend of Misery"

Ah ha ha ha brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

well said mr walker ,

Merci! :D

itarumaa wrote: »
    If I would have a choice now to listen album from start to finish, it would be either Master of Puppets or St. Anger live dvd that came with the cd.

Master of Puppets is just a classic and live-dvd from St. Anger is good as well, you can see that lads are having fun playing and sounds are better than in cd.

That wouldn't be too f**kin hard to achieve now, would it!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I'd start off with Ride the lightning. Its my favourite and I think it has everything to bring you into Metallica. Alot more diverse than the other early albums IMO.

I really really really dont get how everyone loves AJFA? The mixing wrecks my head its so bad. I dunno what they were thinking.

Of course this is my opinion but its very easy to get lost when listening to it. The arse end of it is just that IMO. Id skip them all except maybe Frayed ends if Im in the mood. Blackened, Eye of the beholder, One and shortest straw are the best, and the album titled song isn't anything special.

Each to there own but its near the bottom in my list of favourite Metallica albums.

Anyway you said you liked One and ride the lightning so all the early albums are probably the place to start and it doesnt really matter where you start. Find your own way and it will be more worthwhile.

shizz wrote: »
    I'd start off with Ride the lightning. Its my favourite and I think it has everything to bring you into Metallica. Alot more diverse than the other early albums IMO.

I really really really dont get how everyone loves AJFA? The mixing wrecks my head its so bad. I dunno what they were thinking.

Of course this is my opinion but its very easy to get lost when listening to it. The arse end of it is just that IMO. Id skip them all except maybe Frayed ends if Im in the mood. Blackened, Eye of the beholder, One and shortest straw are the best, and the album titled song isn't anything special.

Each to there own but its near the bottom in my list of favourite Metallica albums.

Anyway you said you liked One and ride the lightning so all the early albums are probably the place to start and it doesnt really matter where you start. Find your own way and it will be more worthwhile.

I rarely listen to RTL & KEA these days. The only Metallica albums I listen to on a regular basis would be TBA, Load & Death Magnetic. I can't listen to AJFA cos it hurts my ears, and St Anger is just s***e!!!

• Advertisement

itarumaa wrote: »

Yeah ive always thought that tbh. Its probably a mixture of a few factors:

Trujillo is an immense leap up from Bob Rock on bass
    The snare is not as blatantly headwrecking (still too omnipresent though)
    It wasnt uber mixed to sound as if it was roughly mixed (if that makes sense)

Advertisement